Upgrading - Dragon Dynasty & Image

Guest Monkey King 2000

Guest Monkey King 2000

Which of the below would you first upgrade please?

The 36th Chamber of Shaolin - This seems to be the best DVD

My Young Auntie - I Realise there is no Cantonese track, which is a shame, but I am ashamed to admit I do not believe I could tell the difference between Cantonese and Mandarin. Especially bad as Hung Gar and most Kung Fu is in Cantonese!

Legendary Weapons of China - Probably my favourite Kung Fu film.

One Arm Swordsman - Very good film, but I prefer the above films, although not keen on the first hour or so of Young Auntie.

I prefere subtitles, but I am interested in also having the dubs, for years to come when I try and get my kids into Shaw films. Also I am interested in the better picture quality the DD DVD's have. I presume the Image DVD does not improve the picture. Also am I correct in thinking none of these improve the subtitles? Any advise would be really appreciated.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Markgway

I think MYA is the only one that - to me - isn't worth upgrading - because of the incorrect language issue. The other three titles are imperfect but generally superior.

Guest THESHAWMAN

One armed swordsman..Dragon dynasty..is best print of this classic film available.PERIOD...its SUPERB DVD..

36th chamber of shaolin.Dragon dynasty.uncut. ivl disc is CUT. also has better image.

havent seen the other 2 yet,so cant comment on those.

Guest oldeschool17

Legendary Weapons of Kung Fu(IMAGE)-Poor video transfer(very noticeable motion blurs/artifacts). I mean if you can deal with the IVL video transfers than this will be ok. Its definently watchable, but if yer a videophile thats very picky on video quality than this will be a dissapointment. Includes english dub and subtitles.

36 Chambers(Dragon Dynasty)- Best version agreed. Picture doesnt have the shitty motion blurs/video transfer issues that the IVL version has. Has a wealth of extras. Good buy!

In short, if you had a choice between Dragon Dynasty or Image, go with Dragon Dynasty. IMAGE has the worst overall quality

Guest chen lung
Dragon dynasty.uncut. ivl disc is CUT

both are cut (frame cuts and a snippet from the sandbags). DD does PAL>NTSC correctly, or directly downgrades from the HD master (which maybe interlaced - donno).

Anyway, the only one I'm after is 'King Boxer' as I either don't like the rest of them, or they're lacking.

Guest killer meteor

Given the image problems on the Image DVD of Legendary Weapons, there is the genuine PAL release from Siren. However, it appears to be Mandarin only and no English dub.

Typical. Three releases of Legendary Weapons and not one worth going for!

Guest oldeschool17

id rather go with the siren visual release. The english dub sucks in my opinion so id rather read the subtitles and thats saying something considering im a dub fan

Guest oldeschool17

killer meteor,

It may be awhile before i dip into the siren visual release. If they had it on hkflix i would get it. Looks like the only way to get it is to either go on ebay or siren visual's website, neither of which i wanna do:\

Guest morgoth

Oldschool, your Legendary weapons disc from Image wasn't good pic quality? It showed up perfect on my TV.

Guest killer meteor

The Image Shaws I've encountered are the ones where they've taken the PAL-NTSC transfer and stretched it to NTSC speed, in the process making the blurred frames incredibly obvious, making the DVD resemble VCD. If someone can confirm that Legendary Weapons was not affected, I may buy it

Siren - good intentions but their site isn't very helpful on details, and some of the discs are let down by shoddy pressing. All copies of Duel Of Fists breaks up into blocks at one point. Having said that, I give them credit for trying and several of their discs are the best versions on the market.

Guest oldeschool17

morgoth,

i dont have this disc anymore but when I did, i noticed some motion blurs when I played it on my computer. I may have played the first few minutes on my tv, but i want to say i noticed some motion blurs too. As a matter of fact, i think i had the same prob with Have Sword Will Travel. Id definently would not say the picture is perfect by anymeans. I mean, you cant expect much when they dropped the ball on securing a good video transfer deal with Celestial. My only gripe really( although kinda petty) with the movie were the dubs. the dub team was definently not the same ones we are familar with in such films as 36 Chambers of Shaolin, 5 venoms, Crippled Avengers.

Brigadier Chow

You can expect that... all the movies you listed were made before the 1980's. By 1982 most eng dubbed films were done by a different team, for example 5 Element Ninjas, Flag of Iron, Shaolin Prince, and 8 Diagram Pole Fighter. If you listen to these dubs they are all the same team.

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Ive upgraded to all the DD Shaws except "My Young Auntie". And the only Image discs Ive bought are titles I didnt previously own (IVL's).

Guest stormybman

I don't understand the tech. speak regarding image quality on the IVL's as opposed to DD, I have a Samsung 42" Plasma, and the films look great. None of the blurs or speed problems, and, btw, King Boxer on DD looks every bit as good if not better than all the others. I think it's the best looking Shaws/DD disc I have, image quality wise. I just hate they stopped doing the Dolby Digital 5.1 and 6.1, ruining my kung fu home theater surround experience. I'm glad earlier releases like Boxer Rebellion, and Marco Polo have the sound mixes... On a real quality system, it's a great experience. Damn the Mono tracks, move into the new Millenium, upgrade your audio! 8)

" Tell me the truth... No more lies!!!... If I turn myself over to you, will you leave the school alone? "

Guest morgoth

MAybe it's cause I have like a 25 inch TV. I didn't have any problems with Legendary Weapons. If there are artifacts, they are very small, cause I didn't have any pic problems. HAve Sword WIll Travel I noticed a little, but not enough to bother me at all.

Guest David G Rees

The sound re-mixes are terrible and sound out of place with new added sound fx not found on the original releases.I have a top range sound system too and i listen to the mono as that was what was originally intended they were not meant to have 5.1 0r 6.1 sound!

At least give the viewer the option of both then everybody is happy!

www.asiancultcinema.co.uk

Guest Markgway
I just hate they stopped doing the Dolby Digital 5.1 and 6.1, ruining my kung fu home theater surround experience. I'm glad earlier releases like Boxer Rebellion, and Marco Polo have the sound mixes... On a real quality system, it's a great experience. Damn the Mono tracks, move into the new Millenium, upgrade your audio!

Such blasphemy should be punishable by death... or at least being forced to watch Fantasy Mission Force on a loop. :hat

Guest stormybman

:rollin !!! I agree with David. Give the viewer more options, and we would probably endorse more product in an expediant manner. Otherwise, we are forced to choose between what is our preferred product and not be open as much to other available selections.

" Can you tell me, what teacher died of? "

Guest killer meteor

The 5.1 soundtracks are mostly hideous. Having 5.1 for the sake of 5.1 is like having a black and white film colourised.

To give them credit where it's due, I though the remix for 5 Shaolin Masters was very good. No changed foley and a subtle distribution of the channels

Archived