How do you remember all the Shaw movies you've seen?

Iron_Leopard

Iron_Leopard

I've seen between 40 and 50 Shaw Brothers movies. Not many at all compared to it's total vault or compared to how many some of the users here have seen. But sometimes I'll just randomly think of a scene from a movie and I can not place what film it's from for my life. As much as I love these films I have to admit a lot of them do just blend together. 

So this had me wondering how you do you keep up with what you've seen and do you have this same problem of not being able to place what movie a certain scene is from? I have a draft in my email that I add to everytime I see a another movie so I have a list of everything I've seen but that doesn't help for when I can't remember what movie this or that happened in.

• Like 4

ShawAngela
3 hours ago, Iron_Leopard said:

I've seen between 40 and 50 Shaw Brothers movies. Not many at all compared to it's total vault or compared to how many some of the users here have seen. But sometimes I'll just randomly think of a scene from a movie and I can not place what film it's from for my life. As much as I love these films I have to admit a lot of them do just blend together. 

So this had me wondering how you do you keep up with what you've seen and do you have this same problem of not being able to place what movie a certain scene is from? I have a draft in my email that I add to everytime I see a another movie so I have a list of everything I've seen but that doesn't help for when I can't remember what movie this or that happened in.

Don't you have the synopsis on the back covers to help you ?

There are movies that I loved when I first watched them and that I totally forgot what it was about many years after. In that case, I rewatch it... when I have a while.

I understand you, and I think that it also happened to me. I guess that we should write a kind of summary of the movies we watch, with another summary on one or two particular scenes that amazed ourselves in the movie.

There are movies for which it's not necessary, though : years after, I still rembered the fate of David Chiang's in Heroic ones or Have sword will travel, or Wang Yu's fate in My son or Trail of the broken blade, or Chin Ping's fate in Twelve gold medallions.

I'm also curious to know how the other members here manage with their Shaws' movies. :)

• Like 5

BigDruDogg

Sadly, after the years I just remember the titles that I've seen, but not much of the plot or situations anymore, unless it's a super favorite of mine that I've watched countless times.

I have a friend that has a photographic memory (@50) and he can recall scenes, dialogue and you name it, and I feel like a complete dunce when talking with him about movies and just have to fake agree with him when he brings up certain movies that I've seen... :squigglemouth:

I guess my mind just has too much data from over the years and needs a defrag or something..

• Like 4

Omni Dragon

The simple answer is I don't, and frankly I don't think it's worth worrying too much about. The other thing is that it's not just Shaw Brothers that this happens with, for me, it's lots of movies and TV shows in general.

• Like 5

That's alright, just means you can watch them again. I like to rewatch my favorites so forgetting parts just makes it worth while. 

• Like 5

massa_yoda

I don’t really have a system. Things do tend to blend together, particularly if I watch a bunch at the same time. I try to post my Shaw viewings on the forum, however, so sometimes I look up my posts in the Shaw thread to help me remember something about a movie I’d seen.

• Like 4

I actually cannot remember all of them by recall, but usually by recognition.  Sometimes title.......sometimes I watch the film and about one hour in I realize that this was previously viewed.:Ayociexp122:

• Like 4

Chu Liu Hsiang

I have a list where I make notes of scenes or characters I found memorable, the synopsis on the back cover is often too generic and does mostly not coincide with what I found special about the movie. When I watch several movies over one day or weekend I make sure to watch different sub-genres, say a wuxia, then a basher, then a contempo, so they don't blend in each other. As others already said, some you watch once and never forget again, and all this is also true for other movies too, and it's fun to watch a movie you cannot remember at all but then after a while realize you have seen. While it is also funny to not recognize anything while knowing you must have seen it already.

I just checked my list for an example of that kind of note, this is for MAGNIFICENT WANDERERS: Weird movie. DC with his golden globes and some crooksters who become rebels. The awfully embarassing Mongol leader. Could be so much better.

Edited by Chu Liu Hsiang
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

ChillyChong

That is no issue. I do not watch these films online or from bought file, when seen movie from original dvd or BR just move it to watched shelf.

• Like 3

I have a simple system. I put a piece of paper with the date inside the DVD cover. With over 1800 DVDs, its a necessity as this old brain forgets more and more (lol). Unless I've seen a film multiple times over, its fun to revisit a movie after a decade or so, as its fresh and new (almost).

• Like 4