Bruce Lee films re-classified by BBFC (25/5/23)

shukocarl1441996347

shukocarl1441996347

Big Boss, Fist of Fury, Way of the Dragon & Game of Death were re-classifed yesterday. Now all rated '15'.

• Like 7

PandaPawPaw

That's cool.

I remember how nunchucks were banned and always cut out of movies.

Good job fists and feet weren't banned.

• Like 4

Josh Baker

This is excellent news, it's been a long time coming. 

The change of attitude from ratings boards to the Bruce Lee movies has been fascinating to watch over the past fifty years. 

The only one which mightve justified staying an 18 is Big Boss but the gore is so cartoony by today's standards I'm sure that factored into the BBFC's decision. 

• Like 5

Well, Game of Death has always felt more like a 15 anyway. With the exception of the neck-breaking, it doesn’t have anything that justifies an 18. I did notice that the certificates were retained for the Arrow box for the English language versions and the new 15 ratings are only for the Asian prints, which is a bit odd considering the Mandarin Big Boss is actually more explicit. 

• Like 2

DragonClaws

I think this should have happened back in the 90's, or at least  when HKL put the films out in more complete form on DVD. The negative influence they had on some hoodlums in the 70's, has always left a stigma with those movies at the BBFC. The first nunchaku scene I caught, was in a French crime film where the lead character used them. Never in a violent way, just a few short basic katas, but the BBFC passed these scenes. The reason being, it wasn’t a violent action movie and was a French arthouse film. That didn’t glamourize the weapon in any way, at least in the British censors’ eyes. They also missed a shot in the film Extreme Prejudice, where someone is wielding them outside a cinema.

• Like 2

On 7/21/2023 at 5:40 PM, DragonClaws said:

I think this should have happened back in the 90's, or at least  when HKL put the films out in more complete form on DVD.

I’m so used to seeing the sleeves with an 18 certificate that I think it would actually throw me off a bit. 😁 It still looks strange seeing The Terminator with 15 on the cover. 

• Like 1