Ip Man 5 (2024?) (Donnie Yen)

SamSeed

9 minutes ago, DiP said:

The only sensical thing to do for the official franchise at this point is to do a prequel of the original.

Then again, aren't there at least three of those already on the market? Honestly, and it's probably way too much of a fanboy wish, but it would be amazing to get Jackie Chan in as the final villain Donnie faces as Ip Man. One last, great fight scene, especially if they're going for a much older Ip Man. They really need to have one proper, well choreographed fight onscreen, because the Shanghai Knights one really didn't cut it.

• Like 1

Drunken Monk

So this has to be a prequel, right?

Spoiler

Since Ip Man died in the fourth film?

I have my fingers crossed they’re not going to go crazy and de-age Donnie. No one wants that.

I’m tired of his Ip Man films but since this is happening, I hope they switch things up. Bring Kenji Tanigaki on board as fight choreographer or someone equally as modern and fresh. Make it something special. Cast some heavy hitters in key roles. My dream would be Jackie Chan as the villain (I know, I know, that’ll never happen). Let’s get Yuen Biao in there or Kara Hui or Philip Ng. Some skillful legends.

• Like 3

Yeah...no.

Isn't Donnie supposed to be more or less retired from Martial arts action now?

• Like 3

legendarycurry

No thanks,fourth film was more or less ass.  They got worse as the series moved on.

Yip man more like a skip man.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I've always said Donnie Yen is like Daniel Craig. After every damn Ip Man or Bond movie they make, they hype up that they're retiring from the role.... Only to make another one. I'll still check it out but I'll always watch Anthony Wong's film after Ip Man 4 for a more mature Ip Man

• Like 3

I liked the 3 first films most. The 4th was ok, but I need to see it again. I have only seen it once. I will watch a 5th film

Edited by LoBo
  • Like 2

OpiumKungFuCracker
7 hours ago, legendarycurry said:

No thanks,fourth film was more or less ass.  They got worse as the series moved on.

Yip man more like a skip man.

Skip man 😂

• Like 2

I honestly hope Donnie at some point won't overstay his or one of his on screen personas welcome.

I'd be curious what changed his mind to return to the classic Martial Arts cinema after officially retiring from it not too long ago.

Also interesting that all of his upcoming projects are produced or financed by mainland China. Or am I mistaken here?

But I guess we all gotta live somehow...

Edited by laagi
  • Like 1

Drunken Monk

He should make the best Ip Man 5 he possibly can, make a shitload of money and then pour that money into Flashpoint 2.

• Like 2

One Armed Boxer
23 minutes ago, laagi said:

Also interesting that all of his upcoming projects are produced or financed by mainland China. Or am I mistaken here?

Yen was a member of the National Committee of the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference (what a mouthful!) that took place earlier this year, so he’s certainly been more proactive in aligning himself with the authorities, but as for the financing of his projects - wouldn’t it be easier to list the Chinese/HK movies made in the last 10 years that weren't financed by the mainland?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Yen was a member of the National Committee of the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference (what a mouthful!) that took place earlier this year, so he’s certainly been more proactive in aligning himself with the authorities, but as for the financing of his projects - wouldn’t it be easier to list the Chinese/HK movies made in the last 10 years that weren't financed by the mainland?

Yes, very good point. Quite massive transformations going on for years. It's also one of the topics in "Kung Fu Stuntmen". 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, laagi said:

That has been the norm since the mid 2000s so it ain't just Donnie getting the China co-finances, pretty much every big name in Hong Kong cinema is playing the game.

• Like 2

Ive always been for ongoing franchises but man the fourth was so bad. 

eh love Ip Man Ill watch it, cant wait lol. hopefully in theaters all over america

Edited by Koravec
  • Like 1

starschwar

They skipped over a lot of Ip Man training Bruce between 3 and 4 - that'd be my ideal subject matter for a final film.

Alternatively, go full ham sci-fi.  Make it about a resurrected clone of Ip who must defend China from some futuristic threat.

7 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Please…God…no more Bruce Lee.

Agreed. Yip Man and Bruce Lee in both part 3 and 4 was enough.

If there's a story left about Yip Man to tell at this point is his early years before WW2; His upbringing, how he mastered the art of wing chun, struggling in society despite being wealthy, forming friends and rivals etc.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 1