The Game of Clones: Bruceploitation Collection Vol. 1 (Severin)

Yihetuan
13 minutes ago, PandaPawPaw said:

I watched another 20mins of Dragon Lives Again and I still have no idea WTF is going on! Though I did errrrr perk up when the ladies and their meat buns were on show but then wham! Popeye shows up! Da fuck is this nonsense!

2.jpg.1b937c7dca3272b03785f5b31e99e292.jpg

Also I want to slap Bruce Liang! He's getting on my fucking nerves!

I'm sure you kept rewinding & playing the scene with the wannabe Emmanuel 🤣

• Haha 2

Killer Meteor
2 hours ago, PandaPawPaw said:

I watched another 20mins of Dragon Lives Again and I still have no idea WTF is going on! Though I did errrrr perk up when the ladies and their meat buns were on show but then wham! Popeye shows up! Da fuck is this nonsense!

2.jpg.1b937c7dca3272b03785f5b31e99e292.jpg

Also I want to slap Bruce Liang! He's getting on my fucking nerves!

Bruce Liang never struck me as an Official Clone - looks nothing like Bruce Lee, just has the similar name which I think is his real one anyway.

Hon Kwok-choi as Kwai Chang Caine is an obscure reference - I assume the show played in Hong Kong in order for the character to be put into DRAGON LIVES AGAIN, but I can't imagine the white guy pretending to be a Chinese going down well.

• Like 1

Killer Meteor
Posted (edited)

Judging from the doc, it looks like they have access to nice prints of titles as varied as ENTER THE PANTHER, THE CHINESE STUNTMAN and BRUCE LEE FIGHTS BACK FROM THE GRAVE!

Edited by Killer Meteor
  • Like 2

Knetan
14 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

I'm sure you kept rewinding & playing the scene with the wannabe Emmanuel 🤣

the graham norton show brb crying GIF

• Haha 3

BillyLo
On 6/22/2024 at 11:06 AM, Drunksnake said:

I'd never seen this version of Goodbye Bruce Lee, only owned the Arrow DVD from years ago so was a nice change. Shame the boxing fighter was removed as Bruce Li does his best kicks in the whole film during that fight.

Is the removal of the “Muhammad Ali” the only difference or is it a completely different version? 

• Like 1

PandaPawPaw

Me trying to get through Dragon Lives Again -

bb080f207fa693c6a8db9831ea3df373.gif

I WILL NEVER EVER WATCH THAT AGAIN!

Knetan

I like the zany Bruceploitation films. Guaranteed to not offend... ish. Only ever seeb Dragon Lives Again in the ol' cropped version so can't wait to boot this up in full Popeye widescreen. 

• Buddha Bless You 1

saltysam
1 hour ago, Knetan said:

I like the zany Bruceploitation films. Guaranteed to not offend... ish. Only ever seeb Dragon Lives Again in the ol' cropped version so can't wait to boot this up in full Popeye widescreen. 

It's a revelation in wide-screen.

• Like 1

Knetan
25 minutes ago, saltysam said:

It's a revelation in wide-screen.

Experience the trademark infringements the way they were supposed to be experienced.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Killer Meteor
6 hours ago, BillyLo said:

Is the removal of the “Muhammad Ali” the only difference or is it a completely different version? 

It has the interview with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar at the beginning, exclusive to the US version

• Like 2

Yihetuan
3 hours ago, Knetan said:

This was also one of Eric Tsang's least annoying roles in his quite prolific filmography which was a plus for me.

• Like 1

Drunksnake
8 hours ago, BillyLo said:

I'd only seen the version on the Arrow DVD before but yeah the opening scenes and set up were quite different.

BillyLo

I wonder what films we will see in volume 2. There’s so many excellent Bruce Li films that deserve to be released on Blu-ray but I guess they’ll try and make another balanced mix Li, Le and Dragon. It’s actually a shame that they didn’t just release the two volumes as a single set but I suppose they want to milk it to get more money. I get a bit frustrated with the way some of these films are spaced. I remember being confused about Bruce and Shaolin Kung Fu with Bruce Le… there’s supposed to be some sort of trilogy but they were released in the wrong order. Would be nice to have a set that would bring some clarity… if we’ll ever see those released that is.

PandaPawPaw

How many Bruceploitation movies are there exactly?

Which movie do people generally consider the best?

Yihetuan
2 hours ago, PandaPawPaw said:

In before @saltysam says Fist of Unicorn. :laugh

• Haha 2

Taoist Drunkard
5 hours ago, PandaPawPaw said:

It depends. There's a ton of films on the periphery that are just random kung fu flicks with Bruce in the (re)title. BRUCE IS LOOSE is a famous one, advertised on video as a fake Bruce Le film - he's not even in it, it's a 1977 kung fu potboiler called THE GREEN DRAGON INN starring Polly Shang-Kwan and Lo Lieh. BRUCE LEE FIGHTS BACK FROM THE GRAVE is another infamous fakeout, with the 1 minute prologue of a Bruce imitator jumping out of his grave, followed by an entirely unrelated Korean film originally titled VISITOR TO AMERICA.

Then there's a bunch of films that star Bruce imitators like Bruce Le or Li but aren't particularly Brucey in and of themselves. They MIGHT have a macguffin like searching for Bruce Lee's finger book or whatever, or they might just put their star in the yellow tracksuit for one scene. Something like IMAGE OF BRUCE LEE is a good example.

THEN you get the unofficial sequels to Bruce Lee's work and the biopics, plus the gonzo pop culture remix stuff like THE DRAGON LIVES AGAIN which are the deep core of the genre.

Some of my favorite titles off the top of my head:

EXIT THE DRAGON, ENTER THE TIGER

RETURN OF THE TIGER

BRUCE LI IN NEW GUINEA

BRUCE: THE MAN, THE MYTH

BRUCE AND SHAOLIN KUNG FU

BRUCE STRIKES BACK

FIST OF FURY II+III

IRON DRAGON STRIKES BACK

BRUCE THE SUPERHERO

• Like 4
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Knetan
1 hour ago, Taoist Drunkard said:

BRUCE LEE FIGHTS BACK FROM THE GRAVE is another infamous fakeout, with the 1 minute prologue of a Bruce imitator jumping out of his grave, followed by an entirely unrelated Korean film originally titled VISITOR TO AMERICA.

10 second prologue of a white guy in jeans jumping out of a hole I believe is what you mean :) But what a title and promotional campaign.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Killer Meteor
4 hours ago, Knetan said:

10 second prologue of a white guy in jeans jumping out of a hole I believe is what you mean :) But what a title and promotional campaign.

The UK VHS I have was rather confused about what movie it was supposed to be. The plot synopsis on the back is for EXIT THE DRAGON, ENTER THE TIGER!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Knetan
10 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

The UK VHS I have was rather confused about what movie it was supposed to be. The plot synopsis on the back is for EXIT THE DRAGON, ENTER THE TIGER!

I had so much trouble untangling the title and versions-mess that was Superdragon from this set that I had to go to bed for a week. Thankfully got some very valuable and helpful info from someone, so I can put it into my research archive. It's exhausting, even in 2024 and I kind of love it. 

So the point is, Bruceploitation is confusing, it's easy to mix and match even in 2024.

• Like 1

Killer Meteor
2 hours ago, Knetan said:

I had so much trouble untangling the title and versions-mess that was Superdragon from this set that I had to go to bed for a week. Thankfully got some very valuable and helpful info from someone, so I can put it into my research archive. It's exhausting, even in 2024 and I kind of love it. 

So the point is, Bruceploitation is confusing, it's easy to mix and match even in 2024.

I think the set itself is confused between the two Bruce Li Super Dragons!

• Like 1

PandaPawPaw

Bruce and the Iron Finger was shit story wise with too much horse riding but I enjoyed the fights! Bruce Liang redeemed himself after the crap that was Dragon Lives Again.

I loved the first fight in the dojo and the pressure point thing Liang does where he goes up/down the arms/legs/body is really cool! Bruce Li was ace too and I think it was some of his best MA work (that I've seen so far)!

:cool

• Like 1

PandaPawPaw

The Dragon The Hero was OK with some cool fights but it never really felt like it had anything to do with BL. The weird vampire dude was annoying but Dragon Lee was cool.

Challenge Of The Tiger was an odd film! The white guy kinda sucked but there was major boobage near the beginning! :D I didn't mind Bruce Le in this as he wasn't doing his constipated face and was more normal. It had some fun fights and Hwang Jang-Lee is always cool! That Brad Harris guy is built as heck and looked pretty cool too! Also Cannon has an interesting backyard.............................

1.jpg.e049af33caad673ab51af8a3b9aac572.jpg

:P

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Drunksnake

Good fight scenes in this one! Bonkers plot but I enjoyed this.bruce-li-iron-finger-1.jpg.50c5d2499506aea274b3781d4a08c642.jpg

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

shukocarl1441996347
2 hours ago, Drunksnake said:

Good fight scenes in this one! Bonkers plot but I enjoyed this.bruce-li-iron-finger-1.jpg.50c5d2499506aea274b3781d4a08c642.jpg

...and Lulu...mmm....

• Haha 2

sifu iron perm
Posted (edited)

To All my London peeps:

Screenshot_20240713_132950_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240713_132957_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240713_133155_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240713_133201_Chrome.jpg

Edited by sifu iron perm
  • Like 7