The Delinquent (1973) - Shaw Brothers

Guest Graeme Noble

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest morgoth

I remember someone asking for opinions of this movie a week or two ago, and after seeing these clips, I have to get this movie! Awesome fights!

Guest Steve Barr

It starts off promisingly as a devastating look at 1970's HK; but at about the 50 minute mark it starts a downward slide into awfulness because the lead can't act, the campy clothing of the triad boss and his 4 bodyguards, the silliness of the plot, experimental camera work, etc.

But if you're just watching it for the fights you might not mind. :)

I have to disagree with the above statement, Wong Chung is no Ku Feng, but I thought he did a great job as a poor slum youth gone astray, and maybe minus the hats of the bodygaurds, I remember the 70's clothing being pretty gaudy, and I dug those glasses the boss wore!

And the Zoom up nipple shots and motorcycle fight was icing on the cake, just a great, dark, moody somewhat realistic film about the slums of Hong Kong in the 70's, it's unforgiving, it's beautiful, one of my favorite movies.

Guest Chinatown Kid

I agree Tosh, this is one of my favorite Shaw's as well. This is a brutal and hardhitting film and Wang Chung burns up the screen with his anger and intensity, this has got to be his greatest performance.

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Graeme Noble, thanks for posting those clips. I hadn't seen this film yet. Pretty cool stuff.

Guest Ko Fei

I have to fourth that notion as this was a great movie and I enjoyed the acting, sets, wardrobe, and fights all around. If this is considered a bad movie with poor production and acting then I guess I enjoy this type of film. It's seriously one of my favourites. Shows waht Chang Cheh is capable of.

Guest killer meteor

I think it's quite effective, but perhaps a little too downbeat for its own good. By the end, I'm quite exhausted by the brutality.

Ah the brutality, hell that's what I miss about movies nowadays:b . I don't know I'm getting sick of all the over polished arty wuxias, no one has the balls to make them like this anymore.

I have to co-sign. It's a good, not great, film. I really do like all the ones done on location outside Shaw Studios. That just makes a Shaw Brothers crime film IMO.

Guest stormybman

I've had this one in my collection for quite some time, and have never watched it. I've purchased it for Shaw 'classic' label some had given it. Now after these comments, I think I'll view it this weekend. :D

Archived