Coward Bastard

Guest kungfufreak

Guest kungfufreak

Wow, have seen this Film coming in August.

Have anyone Infos to this Film.Is a Kuei Chi Hung Film-one of my favorite shaw Directors.

I think a other englisch Titel to this Film is:Bad Father!!

I hope on a Exsploition Classic or is this Film more a Ghost Story a HEX???

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest falkor

Why are you thanking him for? He only told you it was a comedy... :D

Coward Bastard

Ah Chi (Meng Yuan Wen) works for Mr. Su (Wang Sha) as a waiter in his restaurant. He is ill treated by Mr. Su and bullied by rich eccentric customer Hung Mao Chiu (Lin Hui Huang). Chi wants to get even and secretly acquires a unique martial arts technique from the chef Chang Piao (Yuen Wah). Mr. Su soon has to admire his talent. Badly wounded by Chi, Hung wants revenge and consults his elders Hei Chin Kang (Wang Lung Wei) and Tien Chin Kang (Kuan Feng). Chi falls into their hands shortly afterwards and Hei and Tieh recognise his kung fu style as that of Chang Paio, whom they themselves have been seeking vengeance for some time. Chi escapes, runs into Chang Paio, and offers to assist in fighting off the two criminals. Chang rejects his offer, and suggest instead that only y one person, known as the Drunkard, can overcome them with his own particular martial technique. Chi rests in a derelict temple and by coincidence finds the Drunkard, who is on the point of being attacked by bandits. Coward Bastard saw the long awaited screen acting debut of Hong Kong stuntman extraordinaire Yuen Wah. The fights, although few and far between, are superbly performed by the operatic cast but far too much time is spend on tedious slapstick comedy routines, leaving the viewer robbed of true martial fulfilment.

Source: Essential Guide to HK Movies

Getting my dddhouse pre-order package together. Am I getting this?

I ordered it knowing nothing about it and I think I will regret it.

"Comedy" and "Fights few and far between" is not what I'm looking for.

Oh what the hell. September looks bleak.

Guest Kwok Choi

Like Falkor's reference suggests Coward Bastard is average. Nothing to get too excited about that hasn't been done before in this type of low budget movie.Yes the fights when they come are good especially the end fight but unfortunately there is not enough substance in the plot for them to have a significant impact.Wan Lung Wei was wasted but it is good to see 2 fortunes Meng Yuen Man and Yuen Wah take centre stage in a Shaw Brothers production.It wasn't a hit.Only lasted a week in cinemas where I come from.The original poster is really dumb.This film never had a second chance until now but it should be bought for a) nostalgia B) rarity and

c) as a collector's item not as a hidden gem.

Guest BKarza

The above quoted review is pretty spot on. While I find Fighting Fool to be terrible, it had one thing that CB did not, some nice action.

CB has no real sense of purpose. You just sit there watching, waiting. It doesn't deliver. It's not fuuny, just there. With the screen fighting cast provised and Hsu Hsia, Chiang Lin(Yuen Te/Tak) and others as fighting instructors, the end result makes no sense.

Where Fighting Fool was terrible and indie beyond measure, this is simply empty and another waste of cast.

Sorry I got it? Nope. Had I not, the curiousity would have driven me "Tell Tail Heart" mad.

Guest ironfistedmonk2003

I agree but I found it better than Fighting Fool, to me that movie was a right mess but at least CB kept some storyline however small that plot line was.

Shaws tried too hard to ape the indie KF comedies but missed the mark completely. The balance is totally wrong with alot of these, the comedy is way too OTT and there is too much emphasis on this and not enough on the action and plot. A good KF comedy always has a strong villain and an actual reason why the serious fighting and murder takes place alongside the slapstick stuff, guys like Sammo just knew when to flick the switch and go hardcore revenge themed fisticuffs and when to slip back into stupid mode. Shaws tended to just plod along in stupid mode and throw a villain on at the end for a very short fight.

The only director at Shaws to come close to getting it right was Lo Mar, his stuff got the balance right, especially Monkey KF.

one positive thing about this movie yuen wah did some impressive kung, and for once i actually found meng yen man annoying in this movie, he looked like he was holding back, he didnt really let off.

That's one of the problems. MYW didn't get off at all. He had parts of FF where he sowed his stuff but even his Lover's Blades work is better than these 2. Hsu Hsia did the action for all 3 MYW Shaw pics. For him to come off like he was holding back makes no sense.

Guest Ching li

I was mainly getting this movie to see meng yuen man perform, so did he get to participate in alot of the fights? I really enjoyed him in the fighting fool, but i am wondering which to get this one, or the fighting fool? any suggestion greatly appreciated.

Archived