The Young Rebel (Director: Ti Lung)

Guest Steve Barr

Guest Steve Barr
The Young Rebel -- I was reasonably impressed by this ~1973 film directed by Ti Lung. Sure, it's a bit dated, but it does a good job of playing with expectations. It also ramps up the action as the film goes along so what starts as a social drama ends as a Wing Chun, etc. fight fest.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Chinatown Kid

I liked it as well, nice mix of drama and action with Chiang doing a good job in the lead. The villains were a little corny and cliche' but you have to take into consideration this was an early 70's HK film and looks as you said a bit dated.

I've had this one for some time but haven't watched it yet. Sammo is also in THE FUGITIVE (1972), the OTT Shaw Brothers Spaghetti Western starring Lo Lieh and Ku Feng.

What are some of the titles Mark? I only remember seeing him in THE FUGITIVE. He gets a dialog scene in that one. If I've seen him elsewhere I don't remember. In Logan's book HK Action Cinema he comments about Hung's BLADES OF FURY movie having a Shaw Brothers look about it despite him not having worked at the studio!

Young Rebel is excellent,top-5 in modern day Shaws definitely.30 mins from beginning are bit quiet when it comes to action but far from boring.

Highly recommended:bigsmile:

welcome to the board, Shawoholic. My name is bratty and I'm a Shawoholic (as well)

Thx:bigsmile:.I have about 180 IVL`s/DD`s etc so there is still quite a lot wu xia/kung-fu to look for:nerd:

I picked this one up cheap in dddhouse's recent Shaw clearance sale. I haven't watched it yet, but am glad you guys say it's a good one.

Archived