The Kid with the Golden Arm (celestial) screencaps.

Guest Agent Orange

Guest Agent Orange

The Kid with the Golden Arm (celestial) screencaps.

This was probably the most eaglery anticipated release of all the remasters since Celestial/IVL started

planned to RE-master and Re-release the films since late 2003. I cannot wait to watch this film.

Previously only have the English Dubb version released by Ground Zero.

The Ground Zero release and the IVL re-lease are entirely different. The Celestial finally re-mastered

fully with seemingly no problems as far as Video and Audio technicalities are concerned. In the same

token if you can wait i expect Dragon Dynasty will release the so call ''definitive release'' with commen-

tary and the like of interviews including english and cantonese tracks.

This release comes intact with trailer.

kwga1.jpg

kwga2.jpg

kwga3.jpg

kwga4.jpg

kwga5.jpg

kwga6.jpg

kwga7.jpg

kwga8.jpg

kwga9.jpg

kwga10.jpg

kwga11.jpg

kwga12.jpg

kwga13.jpg

kwga14.jpg

kwga15.jpg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Agent Orange

This version also has the missing first five minutes from the Ground Zero version where the Caskets

or whatever it is in the boxes is presented to Sun Chien. This leads me to believe that the print availiable

up until NOW was probably dubbed late from someone using a Video recorder (VCR).

Amen, and amen.

kwga16.jpg

kwga17.jpg

kwga18.jpg

Guest Shaolin Patriot

Be sure to read the post I started a few pages ago under KWGA Product Specs. One viewer pointed out a flaw:

1 problem with this release:

Celestial remastered a scene out of sequence...

When Copper Head arrives through the tunnel dug by the 7 Deadly Hooks member played by Wu Han-Sheng, Iron Armour makes off with with the gold leaving him to battle Long Axe, Short Axe and Hu Wei,

while Hai Tao stowes away beneath the cart and causes the back wheel to break off. Iron Armour Wang Lung-Wei then shoots off a flare as a signal while Hai Tao instigates a duel.

At this point the 7 Deadly Hooks member played by Lu Chian-Ming rushes in during the fight and announces #3 just sent a signal.

On the DVD it is reversed and the Deadly Valley gang are alerted before the cart is damaged or the signal is even sent! Only after Copper Head's demise and Golden Arm Kid's arrival does the film revert back to the broken cart sequence.

The scenes should switch back and forth between the battle and the cart of gold, but the battle is kept lengthy and the Kuo Chui/Wang Lung-Wei sequences are shown together (ending with a clear view of blood spurting from Wang Lung-Wei's groin after being impaled by Kuo).

If DD does release this film, I sure hope they correct the flaw.

Guest Mantis FIST

yo von,

the ground zero is the german version with the eng dub. So did GZ cut the 1st 5min. from the german version, anyone know?

Guest Mr Dragula

Those screens look phenomenal, even with the noted out of sequence scene this will be hard to pass up.

It's a shame though, it seems more often than not most Kung Fu releases are marred in one aspect or another. Still, they fare far better than most Chambara or Yakuza ega which are lucky to get one or two English friendly releases every few months it that.

Guest killer meteor

I wonder if the Celestial DVD actually is correct and presents the scene as a flashback, whilst the older releases perhaps use a US print?

Guest oldeschool17

if it was suppose to be a flashback, they would have done some sort of "effect"(for instance, blurriness) to show that it was indeed a flashback. If you watch how they sequenced it, it doesnt make any logical sense. Although its a minor flaw, it doesnt detract entirely from the movie cause most people should be able to deduct what has happened.

Guest venomchamber

The broken cart/Hai Tao vs Iron Robe duel scene is not a flashback, but was a 'meanwhile' set at the same point in time as the fight with Brass Head...this happened simultaneously.

In the film 10 Tigers, Chang Cheh established his new cast as sitting around the table telling the story in past tense, and the camera zooms-in on each member as they tell their part of what happened to their teachers. Very similar to Quentin Tarantino's style of filmmaking.

Guest oldeschool17

exactly. trying to compare ten tigers of kwangtung's narrative to Kid With the Golden Arm is like comparing apples to oranges. Ten Tigers Of Kwangtung relied heavily on flashbacks and suffered terribly when it was in the "present tense".

Guest venomchamber

This is what I find to be the most interesting thing about Chang's revolving teams:

Has anyone noticed that the most popular Chang Cheh films from his "Shaolin Deadly poisons" era are the ones that feature Lo Mang?

It would appear he was the proverbial glue that held that unit together as once he was out of the stable, the newcomers (Chien Hsiao-Hao, Lung Tien-Sheng, Chu Ko, Cheng Tien-Chi) just couldn't cut it! Many fans seems to adore GOLDEN ARM, CRIPPLED AVENGERS, INVINCIBLE SHAOLIN, MAGNIFICENT RUFFIANS and of course FIVE VENOMS, but tend to shy away from later films such as LEGEND OF THE FOX, SWORD STAINED WITH ROYAL BLOOD, HOUSE OF TRAPS and ODE TO GALLANTRY.

Another prime example would be how everyone likes FIVE ELEMENTS NINJA with Lo Mang among Chang's replacement venoms, but frowns upon THE WEIRD MAN with the same cast, minus Lo! (I'm sure the supernatural elements of the film has something to do with it, but just add it to the previous non-Lo Mang list of lesser popular CC films, and 5 Elements to the pro-Lo Mang list of highly popular CC films!)

My conclusion is: when Lo Mang left the poison clan filmography, things just weren't the same without him!

What's more, Lo Mang possessed something the newcomers didn't have much of: CHARISMA! (You gotta love Lo Mang's funny faces when he's mugging for the camera! :rollin )

shawstarlomangpl3.jpg

"Many fans seems to adore GOLDEN ARM, CRIPPLED AVENGERS, INVINCIBLE SHAOLIN, MAGNIFICENT RUFFIANS and of course FIVE VENOMS, but tend to shy away from later films such as LEGEND OF THE FOX, SWORD STAINED WITH ROYAL BLOOD, HOUSE OF TRAPS and ODE TO GALLANTRY."

True, but at the same time, the ones mentioned were all on tv, in english and in heavy circulation. The latter ones were more underground and hard to get ahold of for some, if you will. That said, I pretty much feel that way.

I think CC may have been doing less, and Chiang Sheng more behind the camera. Everything began to lack in those "KC in the forefront-slash-KC/LF/CS" movies.

Guest Agent Orange

i dont know its just me or WHAT but watching the kid with the goldens arms celestial release

reminded me of the brave archer series. the audio track is not the on on the release ive

seen (at least im pretty sure). Also the way the characters were introduced in the

beggining reminded me of the Brave archer series. Of course if i recall Chang Cheh

adapted that brave archer series and wrote the kid with the golden arms himself. Also

they were released on after the other so it's no wonder. So am i just plain nuts or did

anyone besides me notice the difference? By the way i cant believe you noticed such

a minute detail. The one pertaining to when the flair was sent and the deadly valley

were notified.

Guest VonHumboldtFleischer

I like Lo Mang a lot, but I have to ask: If his charisma is behind the appeal of the CC movies mentioned, why is it that LION VS. LION isn't more popular? Lo Mang played the lead, after all - the entire film revolves around his character, even if he shares top billing with Wong Yu. But it just isn't one of those movies that people get pants-wettingly excited about.

Guest ignamelogin

Not to derail the thread but in answer about Lo Meng and Lion Vs Lion, Lo is indeed great, but unlike some of the other venoms flicks, this one is not full of fights (but what's there is great) and is much more plot based with some comedy that the more serious venoms fans don't always enjoy. I, myself consider Lion Vs Lion a minor classic and a perennial favourite that everyone should at least check out once as stated in this lion vs lion review.

Guest Flashmantis

Well this is certainly one of my top 5 Venoms Mob favorites. And yeah it is a bit odd to see that sort of complication in the Remastered print, even though it's may not be too much of a big deal. It does make me wonder whether it's an alternate version with a slight difference or a mistake during re-editing. Who knows...

Guest oldeschool17

some people shine better when they are in a cast that everyone is familiar with or work well with, henceforth why venomchamber prolly has such high marks for lo meng while he was in the venom films.

Archived