Why did you do that Run Run..?

Guest Marquis de Falcon

Guest Marquis de Falcon

What is the story behind why Run Run Shaw (The Shaw Brothers) locked up the films for

30 years? Was there a reason given? Was the family sick? Whats the full story on this.

Locking up the films for 30 YEARS had it's good and bad points

The good: well!

The bad: well i mean because of So many movies coming out it is more expensive but

also i cannot remember all this @#%$! (not like i want) So much to catch up on.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Dion Brother

I heard from a source close to the family that the Shaws were more concerned for their bowling alley chain (which made more money than the studio) than their films. They just simply didn't care. And apparently there were few serious offers for the library.

Guest VonHumboldtFleischer

I don't think it's really a case of the Shaws "locking up" their films for 30 years. First, they weren't really locked up to begin with; just because you couldn't walk into Tower Records and buy them doesn't mean they weren't around. Secondly, you can't underestimate the importance of the fact that the commercial demand for these films was practically nil; I'm sure that the Shaws would have loved to be able to make some money out of international sales if they could, but the offers weren't exactly flooding in.

Guest Agent Orange

"Sir Run Run Shaw "refused" to transfer his studio's films to video, or even allow them to be shown at film museums"

that's what i heard but i also do not know the reason.

Guest Dion Brother

Not true. Various video companies in North America and Europe licensed movies from the Shaw Brothers until the early 90s (Plus Ocean Shores in Hong Kong). The problem was, nobody bothered licensing them during the height of interest in the titles (mid to late 1990s), thanks to the Wu Tang Clan records. Also, companies that licensed the Shaw library never seemed to know what the hell they had or how to properly package and sell them(Southgate, Vista, etc.). I was told that Rolling Thunder had no problem at all licensing MIGHTY PEKING MAN in the late 90s. If Warner Bros. or any other company with cash to burn had made an offer, they could have done it. Note that Fox was always rumored to be licensing the Golden Harvest library for vhs and laser release in the 1990s, but it never really happened until recently.

Archived