Master Li LoMeng Richard Hopkins

img.photobucket.com/album...opkins.jpg

Master Li Lo Meng Richard Hopkins Bobby Samuels Rick Myers

img.photobucket.com/album...obbySa.jpg

Rick Myers Master Li Lo Meng Richard Hopkins

img.photobucket.com/album...dHopki.jpg

Lo Meng watching 5 Venoms

img.photobucket.com/album...Venoms.jpg

Sorry about the focus, I think it's time for a new digital camera.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Marquis de Falcon

Lol you guys beat up ric myers... Anyways i thank you magicpoe for taking the time to post some

photos for us you are the man and i cant wait to read linn and teako interview. I hope we get to

see all the photos, and videos! This means a lot... huge dry spell of shaw actors and we are very

interested to see what Golden arms is doing... Always.

Ciao

Guest teako170

Hey all. Just got back to my little home by the shore after a great weekend. I'm sure in the coming days there will be multitude of photos and comments from those in attendance.

I'll be doing a small report for KFC.com in the next few days, eventually a much larger article to supplement my original piece on the event, plus excerpts from my interview with the man himself. What a great guy Lo Mang is.

It was fantastic to meet some of my fellow KFF brothers finally in person: Linn, gfanikf, magicpoe, buddhawake, Jesse Smooth. Gentlemen - it was a pleasure.

Plus, it was a rare treat to meet some of the other celebs from master Kim, Bobby Samuels, and yes even Ric Meyers.

And let me tell you something about Meyers. The guy is human. The guy has feelings. So for those of you who want to talk s-h-i-t, talk it elsewhere. These comments burn me up after I spent the weekend with the guy chatting about films, comics, etc. If you wanted to make derogatory comments about him, you should've showed up to the event and said them to his face. (At least that's how a real man would handle himself.)

So from now on guys, please check that f@cking noise at the door because there's no room for it here!

(Yes, Teako is pissed!) >:

I spoke with Ric Meyers on several occasions this weekend and brought up some of the rumors most commonly heard about him.

1. He stated that he did not tell Ocean Shores that the American audiences would not accept widescreen versions.

2. He stated that he wasn't holding on to any of the rare Shaw Brothers dubs, specifically the House of Traps dub.

He seems ready to discuss any of the rumors and in fact came back to me later to ask if there was anything else I had heard about him. I really didn't get into anything else as we were there to enjoy the weekend and not discuss rumors.

Am I brown noseing Ric Meyers here? No. I'm only telling you my first hand account of the man. He was very respectful and I treated him with an equal amount of respect.

So if possible lets keep this thread about the weekend.

A few thoughts about this weekend in general

As teako170 said, it was nice to finally meet several of the forum members. Great guys, all of them. Great to finally put real names to board user id's. All of the forum members I met were there to have a good time, talk Shaw Brothers, and meet Lo Meng. I even hung out at one of the forum members parents' house. Nice people who trusted a stranger into their home. I appreciate that.

June took me into Chinatown and for an outstanding Cheese Steak. June wasn't able to make the weekend activites but we had a great afternoon talking about movies and seeing the sites. Thank you June.

Lo Meng

My impression of Lo Meng was a guy who I don't think really had an idea of how much he was held in such high regard by the fans here in the US. This was actually his first time in the US and, although the turn out for the event was a little small, he was willing to talk to anyone who approached him and pose for picture. He was actually slightly shorter than I expected but still a muscular guy. Someone asked him about his workout routine and when he's back in Hong Kong he works out 6hrs a day.

Media Blasters

I met the Media Blasters guys personally and can tell you that there are finally people in a position to really give these films the release they deserve. They were willing to listen to our thoughts and suggestions and it turns out they are big Shaw Brothers fans themselves. They are definitely looking for any special feature they can get their hands on, either from Celestial or the fans themselves. So if you have anything related to the movies they are releasing get in touch with Linn, especially high quality original trailers on film. As far as what they are releasing, the list that was posted is accurate. There are other details that I'm sure Linn will pass along to rest of the board.

Pictures of the convention room:

img.photobucket.com/album...Angle1.jpg

img.photobucket.com/album...Angle2.jpg

img.photobucket.com/album...Angle3.jpg

img.photobucket.com/album...Angle4.jpg

img.photobucket.com/album...Angle5.jpg

Lo Meng at the autograph table

img.photobucket.com/album...hTable.jpg

Guest oldeschool17

awesome magicpoe for the mini-synopsis. Im glad to hear Media Blasters are going to be a positive thing for us hardcore fans. Lets get this ball rollin!

Guest Mantis FIST

speakin of MB did they mention any of their releases? I know peeps had said this might be made public at the event. I would have went, but I tore my ACL a few months back, and have no insurance, so all my spare change has to go to medical bills! :evil

Guest stormybman

I'm relatively new to this site, as i've owned my PC only one year now. I was astonished at the number of fans for these films out there like myself, and being a newcomer, I share all of your positive thoughts about this event and sorry to say I was late finding out about it, and therefore, couldn't possibly attend, though I wish I could have. I look forward to all the news and forthcoming plans to keep these films alive and the actors who are still around finally getting their kudos here, on U.S. soil. This is really exciting, and you who were there, thanks so much for sharing the photos and kind words... Keep it up, I support you all the way.:D

Thanks for sharing those pics magicpoe-looking forward to hearing more about the fest from everyone who attended.

As an aside, I will always give props to Ric Meyers(along with Damon Foster) for keeping up some enthusiasm for the genre during the lean years- before Rumble in the Bronx revitalized everything.

Guest drunkenmantis13

Seems like it was great fun. I feel sad having missed on something like this. So special, and nothing like this won't ever happen again probably.

So i highly appreciate your pics and sysnopsis magicpoe, you have no idea.

I'm currently dieing for more pics, maybe videos and of course more description/opinions/talk about the event.

Nice to hear MediaBlasters were there and are really into Shaws, same for Ric...some good words for a change.

Guest drunkenmantis13

Forgot to say that Lo Meng the man himself looks fantastic, in a totally heterosexual way. Looks like a great guy, plus still got shape. This is nuts, how old he is right now?

Guest teako170

...the NEW Five Deadly Venoms!

Starting on the left and moving clockwise we have....

Jessie Smooth, teako170, Linn1, buddhawake, magicpoe.

Unfortunately the "student", gfanikf, left early as he returned to the university to further his education (seriously).

newvenoms.jpg

I'll post much more as the days follow but really wanted to get this one uploaded. I just got back my photos this afternoon and still need to scan them, clean them up in PaintShop, etc.

Now, let me give you a little insight on the man we know fondly as "The Toad."

If only I could have conversed with him in Cantonese. The man is very affable and was quite animated when telling some of his tales. I bet he would be a riot if there was no language barrier. He struck me as a guy you could hang out with it, have a have few brews and a lot of laughs.

I first got to speak with him in small bakery/cafe in Chinatown Saturday morning. This was before any of the events started. It was just me, Lo Mang, Ric Meyers, Gini Lui (Lo's good friend from HK), another local translator, and the guys from Media Blaster. Rick Hopkins and Bobby Samuels were going back and forth setting up the shoot for the Lion Dance ceremonies. It was very informal, just hanging out, b/s'ing with him and was quite a surreal experience. I gave him a couple photos of him from Shaolin Temple and he was quite pleased.

Now, as far as his films. We know this movies inside and out but they are indeed 25/30 years old. Lo Mang's memory of these films seemed somewhat blur, perhaps because of the long passage of time, or due to the fact that they cranked out these films like an assembly line. One after the other after the other after the other.

To recall specifics seemed difficult sometimes for him but I have to think about where I was 25 years ago - which would be high school - and then I can relate. Sure I recall various memories but couldn't tell you what the difference was between my Sophomore English class and my Junior English class.

In any event, I have no idea how my interview from Sunday will look. We were pressed for time and about 40% did not get covered. The translation factor weighed in heavily which ate up precious screen time. I'm hoping for the best.

Meanwhile, I have finished my report for KFC.com. Mark seems to be in the process of moving from Seattle to the mid-West, so its hard to say when this might be up but I'll be sure to post the link when it is.

OK, back to scanning....

thanks for the pic. It was really a blast. I keep saying that in pictures one can really tell my face got burned not just the left arm.

As for Lo, he seemed like a really nice guy, even though we (myself, Cody and magicpoe) were only able to interact with him for a moment after what I'm sure was a long day on sunday. He said (in english) that he didn't mind signing my dvds and was taken a bit by the Cripple Avengers dvd.

Guest teako170

No prob, buddhawake. There's more on the way. And speaking of which, here's one of myself, the man himself, and Linn. (Linn, check your PM)

threevenoms.jpg

Guest gfanikf

See the lesson to learn is NEVER leave early (even if you have an early civil procedure class. God, now I'm the Wei Pai to everyone else's five venoms lol.

Archived