Street Fighter (20XX) - New Film Adaptation Coming

AlbertV

Legendary Pictures has announced that will be making a new film adaptation of the iconic Capcom video game franchise Street Fighter. Plot details are not known, but it has been announced that twins Danny and Michael Phillipou, who directed the raving horror film Talk to Me (which after a very positive reception at Sundance, premieres today), are in final negotiations to direct the film. Capcom will be co-producing with Legendary on the new adaptation. 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/street-fighter-danny-michael-philippou-video-game-film-1235403178/

• Like 2

PandaPawPaw
On 4/28/2023 at 4:16 PM, AlbertV said:

Legendary Pictures has announced that will be making a new film adaptation of the iconic Capcom video game franchise Street Fighter. Plot details are not known, but it has been announced that twins Danny and Michael Phillipou, who directed the raving horror film Talk to Me (which after a very positive reception at Sundance, premieres today), are in final negotiations to direct the film. Capcom will be co-producing with Legendary on the new adaptation. 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/street-fighter-danny-michael-philippou-video-game-film-1235403178/

Any updates on this?

Also the original is still bringing in some coins to Capcom - The 1994 Street Fighter Movie Is Still Making Money 30 Years Later.

I think Street Fighter Assassin's Fist has set the bar on what a any new SF movie has to beat. Shame that didn't get a proper sequel (Street Fighter: Resurrection sucked).

AlbertV

The latest is that due to schedule conflicts, the Phillippou Brothers had to drop out (as they are shooting a new movie in Australia), but they are fast tracking the search for a new helmer as they want to begin production by the end of the year.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/street-fighter-movie-loses-talk-to-me-filmmakers-1235924842/

• Like 1

PandaPawPaw
9 hours ago, AlbertV said:

The latest is that due to schedule conflicts, the Phillippou Brothers had to drop out (as they are shooting a new movie in Australia), but they are fast tracking the search for a new helmer as they want to begin production by the end of the year.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/street-fighter-movie-loses-talk-to-me-filmmakers-1235924842/

I hope they cast Nathan Jones as Sagat!

Nathanjones.jpg

Drunken Monk
1 hour ago, PandaPawPaw said:

I hope they cast Nathan Jones as Sagat!

Nathanjones.jpg

Not a chance. There’s no way a movie studio will risk being accused of “white washing.” Not after the Scarlett Johansson/Ghost in the Shell backlash.

22 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

Not after the Scarlett Johansson/Ghost in the Shell backlash.

I do wonder how much the backlash was responsible for the film's failure, and how much was due to audiences simply not being interested whatever other reason.

Drunken Monk
11 hours ago, DrNgor said:

I do wonder how much the backlash was responsible for the film's failure, and how much was due to audiences simply not being interested whatever other reason.

I actually love the film and don't understand why it was criticized so much (apart from the white washing part).

• Like 1

PandaPawPaw
12 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Not a chance. There’s no way a movie studio will risk being accused of “white washing.” Not after the Scarlett Johansson/Ghost in the Shell backlash.

I doubt it. I don't think SF fans are bothered about all that crap. Heck the 1994 SF had guys playing all the wrong roles though the world wasn't as sensitive back then as it is now so who knows.