New Shaolin Boxers

KyFi

Just caught this one, haven't heard much hype about it--and WOW! It's in my top 10, for sure. A classic Fu-Sheng character, where he put up some of his best screen fighting, IMO. I also got really emotionally drawn in to the story, and when that weaselly coward let his gangster buddies rape his new bride >: oh man, did those guys deserve what was coming to them via a Fu Sheng fist and knife beatdown at the end! Also, I liked the "High Noon" theme of the townspeople not wanting to get involved, and they didn't really care if Fu Sheng was right, they just didn't want any "trouble". I loved Fu Sheng's relationship with his teacher, who reluctantly recognized that Fu Sheng was on the right side, and helped him out. Some nice training scenes, and a kick-ass finale vs. Wang Lung Wei, progressing from empty hand to Fu Sheng's double sabers against Wang's iron claw---and with freeze-frame and b & w flashbacks to Fu Sheng's training during the fight--and a classice Chang Cheh ending.

This is my idea of a just-about-perfect mid 70's Shaw kung fu movie. Anybody else like this as much as me?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like it.

Its a good Fu Sheng flick, but I loved seeing Johnny Wang and Leung Kar Yan together. Both are amazing performers. Both are always reliable and I wish Leung Kar Yan was in more Shaw Bros films.

Guest venomchamber

NEW SHAOLIN BOXERS is much the best! Don't miss it!

*But still, be sure to look for cameo appearences by a young pre-Venoms mob as Wang Lung-Wei's thugs! ;)

Guest stormybman

This was a great Kung Fu film for Fu Sheng. I feel his onscreen charisma really carried him through, and his display of Choy Lat Fut was truly convincing. The film also carried the theme that killing begots more killing as the hero finds out. The honor on display here comes off as realistic and you can see the chemistry between Fu Sheng and his bride Jenny.

NSB is a film that is often forgotten, however, is one of Chang Cheh's best early Kung Fu works, right there with Vengeance.

If you haven't seen it, check it out. I think I'll watch it again today. :)

"Whenever you're ready, I'll take on any Japanese here."

Archived