Classic Taiwanese Wuxia festival in NYC...

thegoldenstate

thegoldenstate

Apologies if this has already been posted elsewhere on these forums, but in any case this begins tomorrow, Friday April 21 at The Metrograph.

https://metrograph.com/category/oldschool-kungfufest/

There are also a few films available to view online via Metrograph's website at the above link:  The Bravest Revenge (Lung Chien, 1970), Iron Mistress (Tsun-Shou Sung, 1969), and The Daring Gang of Nineteen from Verdun City (Tu Kuang-Chi, 1960).

Presented by Metrograph and Subway Cinema, in association with Taipei Cultural Center in New York, Ministry of Culture, Republic of China (Taiwan).

“The Old School Kung Fu Fest is back, and this time we’re flying through the air and chopping down fools with the biggest retrospective of Taiwanese wuxia (swordfighting heroes) movies ever seen in New York City. This is where it all began, and we’ve decided to go big or go home! We’re showing everything from the US premiere of The King of Wuxia, an epic documentary about King Hu, the maestro who made it art, to an all-marionette wuxia movie, three rare Polly Shang-kuan stabbers, and even the Hou Hsiao-hsien-directed modern-day deconstruction of the genre, The Assassin. And don’t miss our screening of King Hu’s monumental A Touch of Zen, and the restoration of Joseph Kuo’s bleak masterpiece, The Swordsman of All Swordsmen. By the time this thing is over, there won’t be anyone left standing.”—Subway Cinema

• Like 8

Chu Liu Hsiang

Wonderful to see these movies being appreciated. 

The movies available online are for members only, I consider becoming a member for a month for 5 bucks. However I have a question: When they say streaming is only available in the US etc. does that refer to the movies on their website or does it refer to "live streaming" or both?

image.png.f27c9f515a9583ae08c4818f52a1412d.png

• Like 3

thegoldenstate

Hmm, y'know, I'm not really sure. Maybe someone who's more tech-savvy than I when it comes to streaming can figure out if it's indeed US-only for everything. When I posted that I initially didn't realize that one couldn't just immediately view it on their site -- someone on here recently posted on the Big Land, Flying Eagles thread a link to a different Taiwanese film fest and on that particular site you could actually watch BL,FE and some other films without signing up for anything. I wrongly assumed the Metrograph one would be similar -- just click on embedded video player and you're in business. Oh well. . . 

• Like 3

DreadInNY
On 4/20/2023 at 9:30 PM, thegoldenstate said:

Apologies if this has already been posted elsewhere on these forums, but in any case this begins tomorrow, Friday April 21 at The Metrograph.

https://metrograph.com/category/oldschool-kungfufest/

There are also a few films available to view online via Metrograph's website at the above link:  The Bravest Revenge (Lung Chien, 1970), Iron Mistress (Tsun-Shou Sung, 1969), and The Daring Gang of Nineteen from Verdun City (Tu Kuang-Chi, 1960).

Presented by Metrograph and Subway Cinema, in association with Taipei Cultural Center in New York, Ministry of Culture, Republic of China (Taiwan).

“The Old School Kung Fu Fest is back, and this time we’re flying through the air and chopping down fools with the biggest retrospective of Taiwanese wuxia (swordfighting heroes) movies ever seen in New York City. This is where it all began, and we’ve decided to go big or go home! We’re showing everything from the US premiere of The King of Wuxia, an epic documentary about King Hu, the maestro who made it art, to an all-marionette wuxia movie, three rare Polly Shang-kuan stabbers, and even the Hou Hsiao-hsien-directed modern-day deconstruction of the genre, The Assassin. And don’t miss our screening of King Hu’s monumental A Touch of Zen, and the restoration of Joseph Kuo’s bleak masterpiece, The Swordsman of All Swordsmen. By the time this thing is over, there won’t be anyone left standing.”—Subway Cinema

Oh man. I saw this too late!

• Like 1