Evil Dead Rise (2023)

sifu iron perm

sifu iron perm

I was fortunate to view the special preview on Wednesday. What a Ride it was, great premise as its influenced heavily from the original with a tad of Peter Jackson (Braindead) and Stanley Kubrick! This was beyond crazy with amount of gore, blood and demonic characters popping up! Loved it, 9/10!

I also met the Director Lee Cronin, cool Bloke, signed my poster too!

Edited by sifu iron perm
  • Like 2

I got a quick question. If I didn’t like the Evil Dead remake, will I like or dislike this one? Is the violence as disturbing as the remake? 

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

OpiumKungFuCracker
1 hour ago, sifu iron perm said:

I was fortunate to view the special preview on Wednesday. What a Ride it was, great premise as its influenced heavily from the original with a tad of Peter Jackson (Braindead) and Stanbley Kubrick! This was beyond crazy with amount of gore, blood and demonic characters popping up! Loved it, 9/10!

I also met the Director Lee Cronin, cool Bloke, signed my poster too!

I’m in. 

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

sifu iron perm
4 hours ago, DarthKato said:

I got a quick question. If I didn’t like the Evil Dead remake, will I like or dislike this one? Is the violence as disturbing as the remake? 

I hated 2013 remake! This makes up for it, it's a love letter to Sam Raimi,  trust  me! Also reminds me of Demons 2! Some cool funny banter placed properly with the crazy F'd up filthy Demons.  

• Like 3

19 hours ago, sifu iron perm said:

I hated 2013 remake! This makes up for it, it's a love letter to Sam Raimi,  trust  me! Also reminds me of Demons 2! Some cool funny banter placed properly with the crazy F'd up filthy Demons.  

Nice! I’ll check it out then. Thank you. 

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

OK overall. Mainly lives of its blood and gore effects. Which are plentiful!

Not too familiar with the Evil Dead series per se...

One thing that just always bothers me in horror movies are the characters. This isn't much different here. Although somewhat more bearable.

But basically 'Evil Dead Rise' uses some of the same old tropes and cliches. 

I'm aware this is fiction but by all means why do characters ALWAYS have to behave in the most implausible way possible.

"Oh there's an evil looking book, protected by a bunch of crosses" - "I should go and grab it"

"The book is protected by an ancient seal" - "I should definitely try to break it and read from it"

"The pages are full of demonic depictions and scriptures" - "I should listen to the vinyls that won't have some satanic spell on it"

And honestly it goes on and on and on...

It's when I finally surrendered to some of its stupidity where I really got to enjoy some of the blood and gore.

Acting wise it's also pretty subpar for the most part. With the exception of Alyssa Sutherland, especially once she turns.

For blood and gore hounds recommended for anyone looking for more it's a pass.

• Like 1

I also went to see this in the theater & I've watched some really shit horror films of late and this wasn't the exception. I walked out of the theater rather disappointed after some of the hype.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Yihetuan said:

I also went to see this in the theater & I've watched some really shit horror films of late and this wasn't the exception. I walked out of the theater rather disappointed after some of the hype.

I wouldn't say this was shit but it definitely doesn't live up to the hype generated around it. Or maybe I'm just too old to be enjoying a horror movie for blood and gore alone.

To me every horror character seems to be a rendition of Steve Irwin's (R.I.P) 'The Crocodile Hunter'.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, laagi said:

I wouldn't say this was shit but it definitely doesn't live up to the hype generated around it. Or maybe I'm just too old to be enjoying a horror movie for blood and gore alone.

To me every horror character seems to be a rendition of Steve Irwin's (R.I.P) 'The Crocodile Hunter'.

Yeah it's not complete diarrhea like The Barbarian, Pearl, etc but I guess I was expecting too much.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Yihetuan said:

Yeah it's not complete diarrhea like The Barbarian, Pearl, etc but I guess I was expecting too much.

I was gonna check out Pearl next lol

• Haha 1

The change from forest setting to a city setting worried me after watching the trailer. But I was very surprised and entertained by the final result. A good amount of violence, gore, and good acting from Alyssa Sutherland as the main antagonist.

The 2013 remake is still better but this is still a satisfying sequel, especially if you want more of the same old classic ingridients from Sam Raimi's original movie.

• Like 1

PandaPawPaw

I thought it was pretty poor overall. Not scary and the gore gets boring quickly.

Not as bad as Pearl though......................

• Like 1

Drunken Monk

Personally, I thought Pearl was a masterpiece compared to Evil Dead Rises but that's just me. I didn't like this film much at all, mostly because it felt dull. The setting was cool but it was largely plot-less and the gore felt terribly tame especially compared to the 2013 reboot. I might like it more upon a second watch (maybe my expectations were too high) but I'm not itching to watch it again any time soon.

• Like 1

PandaPawPaw

I like ED1, Pt2 was OK and the series was enjoyable but all the rest suck.

I still don't get the love for Army of Darkness. It was totally shit.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PandaPawPaw said:

I like ED1, Pt2 was OK and the series was enjoyable but all the rest suck.

I still don't get the love for Army of Darkness. It was totally shit.

Aw man I loved Part 2 and Army of Darkness. Pure goofiness from beginning to end

• Like 1

PandaPawPaw
1 minute ago, Ah_Tao said:

Aw man I loved Part 2 and Army of Darkness. Pure goofiness from beginning to end

That's cool. I don't hate part 2 but I watched AOD many years after I saw ED and it felt like a different film/series. Like Ash was really dumbed down and it just felt odd to me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PandaPawPaw said:

That's cool. I don't hate part 2 but I watched AOD many years after I saw ED and it felt like a different film/series. Like Ash was really dumbed down and it just felt odd to me.

Yeah these movies aren't for everyone. But I did notice every movie had a different feel from the last. Especially the remake before EDR. Wasn't really funny at all and was super dark. I enjoyed it also

• Like 1