What films are in contention for the title “best action film and franchise of all time”?

WangYu

The John Wick 4 thread has a couple of members suggesting that this film is in contention for the title best US action film ever and for best US action franchise ever. 
This left me wondering what other films and franchises should be in contention?

For film franchises I can only think of Mission Impossible equalling/surpassing John Wick. I can’t think of any other franchise where all or almost all films get consistently good critical and public reviews.

For single films there should be a lot of competition.

What so you say?

• Like 2

You know what I’m gonna raise the game. All films of the world are in contention.

A quick piece of digging in my knackered brain brings up these titles that I am sure have been highly placed on such lists:

The Raid, Mission Impossible: Fallout, Mad Max Fury Road, The Matrix, The Bourne Ultimatum, Kill Bill, Hard Boiled, The Killer, Die Hard, Aliens, Police Story, Raiders of the Lost Arc, Robocop

• Like 4

Imo too difficult a decision. All the franchises have different weaknesses and strengths. Where one pails another shines, and so on, for different reasons.

• Like 2

When the now-defunct Slaughter Film Podcast did a March Madness 80s/90s action film bracket in 2014, Aliens ended up taking first place, with Predator coming in second. I believe T2 and The Road Warrior were the ties for 3rd/4th place. The movies lost out in the quarter finals were Rambo: First Blood Part 2; Robocop; Commando; and Die Hard.

Edited by DrNgor
  • Like 2

Darth Kermit

I think I'll stick with John Wick as the best franchise overall (for sure in Hollywood, and can't think of any in the world that I've seen that top it atm). Best singular action film? I cannot pick.

• Like 2

Ah, action films, my favorite film type. Lets see: 

1. Obviously my pick is John Wick. It has got to be one of, if not the best action film of all time. The gunplay and hand to hand fighting is second to none in my opinion. 
  2. I would also say that The Raid: Redemption deserves to be on the list of Top Action Films. Just about the entire film is one long action scene and my god its glorious. 
  3. I also don't think you can have a list of best action films with out mentioning "Hard Boiled". Its the best of the Heroic Bloodshed movies and is damn near a masterpiece in action cinema. 
  4. You also couldn't have a list of Best Action films without mentioning Schwarzenegger. Terminator 2, Predator, and Commando could all be at the top of a Best Action list. 
  5. To name a few more, you have: Robocop, Highlander, Rambo 2 and 4(I love Rambo 5, its probably my favorite one besides the first, but I know it doesn't belongs on a best action list) , Expendables 2, Ip Man, Die Hard, Aliens, Police Story, Wonder Woman. 

That is all I think of off the top of my head. Given time, I could probably make a list of at least a hundred or more different films. lol

• Like 2

Darth Kermit

Okay, I've just gotta say it. Expendables 2? Really? Now I respect any persons opinion, especially given that art is all about that and whatnot, but damn, I just cannot fathom putting any of those films up for this title. The Statham v Adkins fight should have been great, but it's just black on black with a black background. You can't see anything! The Expendables is Stallone's egotistical attempt to bring back the action heroes of the 80's and 90's, but just doesn't have the classic charm or the modern action sensibilities to be any good.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, TheMuffinMan656 said:

Okay, I've just gotta say it. Expendables 2? Really? Now I respect any persons opinion, especially given that art is all about that and whatnot, but damn, I just cannot fathom putting any of those films up for this title. The Statham v Adkins fight should have been great, but it's just black on black with a black background. You can't see anything! The Expendables is Stallone's egotistical attempt to bring back the action heroes of the 80's and 90's, but just doesn't have the classic charm or the modern action sensibilities to be any good.

I guess we are going to have to agree to disagree. While not perfect, I think that Expendables 2 finally lived up to the potential that the first movie failed to live up to and that the third failed to recapture. It was a fun, fast-paced, action-packed thrill ride from start to finish. I also don't know what you are talking about not being able to see anything. I think you are getting the second movie mixed up with the first(Which was so dark you really couldn't see a damn thing).

• Like 2

I have a thing for Chuck Norris so I loved his part. 
For me the pinnacle of action cinema was lone wolf mcquade. 

• Like 3

Darth Kermit
18 hours ago, DarthKato said:

I also don't know what you are talking about not being able to see anything. I think you are getting the second movie mixed up with the first

No, I am specifically talking about the Scott Adkins vs Jason Statham fight from 2. That fight was so disappointing. They are both wearing black, the background/set is very dark, they frequently frame the fight from bad angles, and they blend in with the surroundings, including the black helicopter. It's just terrible.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DarthKato said:

I guess we are going to have to agree to disagree. While not perfect, I think that Expendables 2 finally lived up to the potential that the first movie failed to live up to and that the third failed to recapture. It was a fun, fast-paced, action-packed thrill ride from start to finish. I also don't know what you are talking about not being able to see anything. I think you are getting the second movie mixed up with the first(Which was so dark you really couldn't see a damn thing).

I'm with DarthKato. I thought the second one improved on the first in all ways, including visibility of the fights. I would've hoped for more Jet Li--it would've been cool if he showed up at the last second to help Statham off Adkins--but I was glad that Stallone had learned from the mistakes of the first film.

• Like 2

When it comes to action franchises I don't see how the James Bond franchise couldn't place highly. Sure, some have been much better than others but overall I think the series consistently improved as far as action was concerned. Hell, just the fact that we've had Bond movies for about 60 years now says a lot for them, they must've been doing something right!

• Like 3

The action scenes for Bond films have indeed for decades set the bar higher and higher.

Especially the Daniel Craig series should at least get a mention as well as Sean Connery’s films as they are pretty much the first true modern action movies ever created (not counting adventure, war, Samurai and western films)

Edited by WangYu
  • Like 1

As a franchise I think Police Story has to be up there. The first two are stone cold classics and amongst the best action films ever made, Supercop has some astonishing action, 4 has the stepladder fight and New Police Story was a real return to form. Only Lockdown really lets it down, but then I'm not even sure I consider that a Police Story film, I think it just used the title for extra publicity.

Ip Man, I think the first three are brilliant, 4 not quite so much but still has Yen vs Adkins.

The Raid might be cheating as there are only two, unless you count Merantau as a sort of proto raid.

• Like 2

@SamSeed

Ha I thought I was the only thinking about Merentau as part of the raid. It is sort of a trail run lol 

I love Ip man 4 especially because of Scott Adkins hamming it up. He really lets himself shine when he is cast in big franchises!

I also love the fight scenes in Ip Man 3 with Mike Tyson and the stair fight scenes when Ip Man leaves his wife in the elevator awaiting in suspense of the outcome.

Ip Man 2 is the weakest imo.

• Like 1