Was Challenge of the Tiger released in 1980 or 1982?

Josh Baker

Question

22 answers to this question

masterofoneinchpunch

Yeah that is so weird that IMDB and HKMDB have it at 1980.

Isn't this the Macau Jockey Club? If it is the 2nd anniversary this film would be 1979.

image.png.95e668f0f01279cc910ddb95d6048fad.png

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer
54 minutes ago, masterofoneinchpunch said:

Isn't this the Macau Jockey Club? If it is the 2nd anniversary this film would be 1979.

Worth looking into! I'm sure @Killer Meteor's assumptions that this movie was filmed in 1982 are based on his belief that the Macau Jockey Club event footage is also from that year, but if it's actually from 1979 then that may mean the 1980 release year is correct.

• Like 1

masterofoneinchpunch

And I found out officially: "In 1989, the Trotting Club changed ownership and was transformed into the present Macau Jockey Club for flat-racing. The first race was held on 10 September ..."

• Like 1

Killer Meteor
2 hours ago, masterofoneinchpunch said:

image.png.2fef2779cb56bed4e199ce04274e68a0.png

Wiki is wrong.  The 30 year anniversary is when the club changed ownership in 1989.

https://macaulifestyle.com/culture/heritage/macau-jockey-club/

The first race of this kind at the then Trotting Club took place in September 1980

There is also a reference in the dialogue to the film being set in 1982. That's also the year Bruce Le did his other two films for Dick Randall - NINJA STRIKES BACK and PIECES.

Edited by Killer Meteor
  • Like 1

Josh Baker

Thank you everyone for your comments. I'm fairly convinced this was shot back to back with Bruce Strikes Back somewhere between 1981-1982, it makes sense practically for this to be the case as both films shared a lot of the same actors and crew.

I still have no idea where the 1980 date comes from, and if my assumption is wrong please feel free to correct me!

• Like 1

Killer Meteor
Posted (edited)

Further evidence this film came out in 1982 - although Michael Worth keeps saying the film is from 1980 on the new Severin set, the BD has the original trailer...which references leading lady Nadiuska being in Conan the Barbarian.

Edited by Killer Meteor
  • Like 1

J.J. Hayden

I believe that some editors have entered years like 1980 as an estimate. There's another film I'm going to question there, Legend Of Peach Blossom, the date on that is also credited as 1980. But I am sceptical, because not only does the KMDB show it's date as 1983 and it's release date on 10th Dec that year, but also some of the actors I know, look noticeably older than in 1980, particularly one who put on some weight.

Killer Meteor
On 6/20/2024 at 1:57 PM, J.J. Hayden said:

I believe that some editors have entered years like 1980 as an estimate. There's another film I'm going to question there, Legend Of Peach Blossom, the date on that is also credited as 1980. But I am sceptical, because not only does the KMDB show it's date as 1983 and it's release date on 10th Dec that year, but also some of the actors I know, look noticeably older than in 1980, particularly one who put on some weight.

Yeah, there doesn't seem to a relaible source of dates for HK/Taiwanese movies that didn't get a regular HK theatrical release.

I noticed you contribue to HKMDB, any chance you could correct Challenge of the Tiger to 1982?

J.J. Hayden
2 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

I noticed you contribue to HKMDB, any chance you could correct Challenge of the Tiger to 1982?

I can certainly bring it up at the same time as Legend Of Peach Blossom, but I won't change it automatically as I've not researched it myself, though I must say I'm pretty convinced by everyone's sleuthing here.

• Like 1

J.J. Hayden

Well, it's been enough time for any counter evidence to come in and there's been nothing in that regard, in fact there's been the opposite. Thanks to @Yukabacera for his contributions: he found that records in Taiwan also show Sheng Tiao Hero's release date as 1984; oddly enough he wasn't able to find any Taiwan sources regarding Legend Of Peach Blossom's release; and as for Challenge Of The Tiger, he found some interesting info that he kindly allowed me to share with you -

“I took the opportunity to research this one a bit. According to reports in the HK press the movie was announced at a press conference in early September 1982, at which point it had already been shooting for two weeks in Spain and was scheduled to go on to shoot in Hong Kong and Macau. Photography was said to be about one-third finished. The title was 滅絕七七. I wasn't able to dig up any evidence of a Hong Kong release, but it was planned. It was then listed as a 1983 release in Taiwanese records and was also released in Singapore in 1984. (both with the title 威龍神探) So I would support a year change to 1983 as the earliest verifiable release.”

So I've changed the dates for all three films. Thanks to all those who provided such interesting research.

Cheers

• Like 1

J.J. Hayden
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Killer Meteor said:

At last, I am proven I am alright!

Satisfying, isn't it? :P 

Edited by J.J. Hayden
  • Like 1

Josh Baker

So it was actually released in 1983? Interesting, actually in retrospect some of the perm haircuts of the ladies at the mansion/tennis court support this. 

Killer Meteor
19 hours ago, J.J. Hayden said:

Well, it's been enough time for any counter evidence to come in and there's been nothing in that regard, in fact there's been the opposite. Thanks to @Yukabacera for his contributions: he found that records in Taiwan also show Sheng Tiao Hero's release date as 1984; oddly enough he wasn't able to find any Taiwan sources regarding Legend Of Peach Blossom's release; and as for Challenge Of The Tiger, he found some interesting info that he kindly allowed me to share with you -

“I took the opportunity to research this one a bit. According to reports in the HK press the movie was announced at a press conference in early September 1982, at which point it had already been shooting for two weeks in Spain and was scheduled to go on to shoot in Hong Kong and Macau. Photography was said to be about one-third finished. The title was 滅絕七七. I wasn't able to dig up any evidence of a Hong Kong release, but it was planned. It was then listed as a 1983 release in Taiwanese records and was also released in Singapore in 1984. (both with the title 威龍神探) So I would support a year change to 1983 as the earliest verifiable release.”

So I've changed the dates for all three films. Thanks to all those who provided such interesting research.

Cheers

One other title I've long been curious about - SUPER DRAGON, the one with Cliff Lok and Polly Shang-kuan

https://hkmdb.com/db/movies/view.mhtml?id=9182&display_set=eng

HKMDB says 1976, which is too early considering the Star Wars music in it! It is likely they are getting this confused with the Bruce Li movie SUPER DRAGON, the one AKA The Young Bruce, Legend of Bruce Lee, Bruce Lee Superstar etc...

Any thoughts on this one?

• Like 1

J.J. Hayden
1 hour ago, Killer Meteor said:

Any thoughts on this one?

You could be right.

I couldn't find anything concrete on either date, but some places show 1976 and others show 1982, I don't know where the date 20Mar1976 has come from though.

It does seem like 76 would be too early to feature the Williams' score, since he wrote it in March 1977. But there is the possibility that this music was added after the theatrical run, for VHS or TV versions.

Is there more evidence?

• Like 1

Killer Meteor
3 hours ago, J.J. Hayden said:

You could be right.

I couldn't find anything concrete on either date, but some places show 1976 and others show 1982, I don't know where the date 20Mar1976 has come from though.

It does seem like 76 would be too early to feature the Williams' score, since he wrote it in March 1977. But there is the possibility that this music was added after the theatrical run, for VHS or TV versions.

Is there more evidence?

I think the 1976 date might be the Bruce Li movie.

I'm used to seeing 1982 as the year for the film, which might be right. But who knows where these dates come from?

J.J. Hayden
13 minutes ago, Killer Meteor said:

I think the 1976 date might be the Bruce Li movie.

Yes, I wondered about too. I'll wait to see if any more evidence comes in before I take it to HKMDB.

• Like 1