The Point Men (2023) - Hwang Jung-min, Hyun Bin

laagi

This turned out to be a bland, uninspired, one dimensional, for the most part boring, run of the mill "based on true events" affair. @One Armed Boxer I should've heeded your advice on this one.

Loosely based on the hostage crisis from 2007, which saw 23 korean missionaries kidnapped by the Taliban in Afghanistan.

Starring two veteran actors neither of them able to convey any emotion whatsoever. Just a bit of bickering between them for the most part. Also some truly odd placed comic relief in a movie with such a serious subject matter. What were they thinking?!

And as far as the "action" goes... Well if you consider a short motorcycle chase action than I guess that counts. Other than that nothing but hot air (some pun intended).

Overall really disappointing! Set-up and clearly budget would've been there, they actually shot this on location in Lebanon. But for the most part is just a huge miss. Avoid!

Adding final insult to injury is the tease for a potential sequel, no thank you.

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer
26 minutes ago, laagi said:

@One Armed Boxer I should've heeded your advice on this one.

I take it as a sign of trust between us that we're willing to respect each others opinions even on movies that we haven't seen. :tongueout

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

@One Armed Boxer Just a short off topic "rant" but what's with the recent increase of crisis movies taking place in the middle east?! Especially but not limited to asian productions. They're everywhere it seems...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, laagi said:

@One Armed Boxer Just a short off topic "rant" but what's with the recent increase of crisis movies taking place in the middle east?! Especially but not limited to asian productions. They're everywhere it seems...

I think it just comes down to economics as production costs as it's quite a bit less expensive to film there and hire a huge crew of extras to work for minimal pay. Plus it's easy to portray them as villains and terrorists as they don't have the political clout or the outspoken groups to change the casting. I remember the producers of the Red Dawn remake changed the 'enemy' from Chinese to North Koreans for fear of losing that market. I believe the same thing happened with Olympus Has Fallen.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

I think it just comes down to economics as production costs as it's quite a bit less expensive to film there and hire a huge crew of extras to work for minimal pay. Plus it's easy to portray them as villains and terrorists as they don't have the political clout or the outspoken groups to change the casting. I remember the producers of the Red Dawn remake changed the 'enemy' from Chinese to North Koreans for fear of losing that market. I believe the same thing happened with Olympus Has Fallen.

That may be one reason but I meant the particular rise in interest regarding the subject matter. Some crazy terrorists kidnapping the innocent only for some special forces to sweep in and save (wo)men and country. Hang on...

Scratch that, that shit's been around forever :yociexp100:

• Haha 1

One Armed Boxer

The circle of self punishment - 

1. @laagi asks me if I'll be checking out 'The Point Men', and I respond that I'll be giving it a miss due to experiencing Korean diplomats in danger overseas fatigue.

2. laagi watches it, lets me know I was right to skip it, because it sucked.

3. The opportunity arises for me to watch it. So I do. I can't help myself.

Full review over at COF:

https://cityonfire.com/the-point-men-2023-review/

• Haha 2

Can't blame me for this one @One Armed Boxer I took the bullet for you!

Jesus I can't believe I'm saying this and do correct me but the only good or dare I say great korean movie so far this year was "The Childe".  What is happening here? :yociexpress09:

• Like 1