lady of steel and master of kung fu

Guest lickinblood

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest stormybman

I haven't seen Lady of Steel, however, Master of Kung Fu is a decent little film with Ku Feng in the lead as Wong Fei Hung.

I think it's a better film than Rivals of Kung Fu, which starred Shih Chung Tien as Master Wong. The film definately has the Shaw "feel" to it, but it's not a 10, more like a 4.5 out of ten.

It does center around the typical lion dances, and Wong's students being threatened with him coming to the rescue.

Ku Feng probably deserved more leading roles as decent a performer as he was dramactically speaking, even more than Chen Sing. That's my opinion though. :b

"Whenever you're ready, I'll take on any Japanese here."

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Master Of Kung fu is old school kung fu cinema here. Ku Feng is awesome (as usual) here and Chan Shen gets his ass kicked pretty hard in this one. Solid film.

I'm pickin up Lady Of Steel as well. Don't know anything about it though.

Guest mahsingyi

PS: Here is an English transcript of the German text:

Cheng Pei Pei and Yueh Hua unite in the style of King Hu’s classic “Come drink with me†in yet another Wu Xia Pian movie that has to be seen:

In the northern provinces of China during the Tang dynasty, the capital Shantau is severely damaged due to flooding. Furthermore, Tartars want to topple the reigning emperor who is kind at heart and even some of his army generals who have been promised riches by the tartars are working secretly against him and stage acts of betrayal.

As the noble Fang family wants to bring money and relief goods to the flood victims, the convoy is ambushed and the family killed. Only the young daughter survives and she is sheltered and brought up by a martial artist who poses as a hermit and teaches her swordsmanship on the highest level.

Once grown up fully the able girl named Ying Chi returns to the province to take revenge and, via an agreement with the chief of the loyalist, Hsia Chu Lung, to help the shaking government to stay in power. She befriends the lone swordsman Chin Shang Li who poses as beggar chief and meets Wei Tung Ming, the man responsible for the slaughter of her family, who recognizes her as the surviving member of the Fang family. But his partner Han hsung who wants to take the throne and has struck a pact with the tartars has a better idea than to kill her off secretly. Succeeding with a sinister plan, Ying is stigmatised as a traitor and has to flee, but Chin , who has fallen for her helps her as she takes up the fight against the evil doers and as she tries to clean her name in a bloody showdown….

For Cheng Pei Pei, this role was yet another good chance to show her abilities as a woman fighter and once more Yueh Hua played his role as chivalry in style. Directed by Ho Meng Hua, the ensemble of Wong Tsun Shun, Li Ying Chung, Li Pang, Fei Liu Kang and Wei Ping displays great gusto by playing “bad guys†whilst fights and atmosphere are nice to watch and a good camera work (especially for night scenes) contributes to a movie that is positioned clearly above most of the late 60ies Wu Xia output of the studio.

7,5 of 10 possible stars…

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

mahsingyi, would you happen to know what is Fang Mien's role in Lady Of Steel? Another of my favorite Shaws actors. HKflix have him listed fourth in line as co-star.

Archived