Beef (2023) Netflix series

OpiumKungFuCracker

OpiumKungFuCracker

I don’t think you guys are ready for this one. Steven Yeun is back on the small screen. Oh and It’s brought to you by the greatest studio ever: A24!!!

• Like 3

On 4/7/2023 at 12:50 PM, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

I’m on episode 9. This show is pretty dark and depressing to say the least.

Sounds like my kind of show LOL. Added to my watchlist.

Surprised there's not more talk about it on here. Especially after all the rave reviews calling it "the best show on Netflix in years".

• Like 3

OpiumKungFuCracker
8 hours ago, laagi said:

Sounds like my kind of show LOL. Added to my watchlist.

Surprised there's not more talk about it on here. Especially after all the rave reviews calling it "the best show on Netflix in years".

Exactly, it’s probably the name that’s throwing people off. Man those last two episodes werepoetic-cinema-kino.gif 

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Just finished the first three episodes and damn that's some dark shit! I love it and no surprise A24 is attached to it.

Can't wait to see how it all unfolds...

I think literally anyone will find something they'll be able to relate to. And honestly if you don't you're probably not human.

• Like 3

OpiumKungFuCracker
13 hours ago, laagi said:

Just finished the first three episodes and damn that's some dark shit! I love it and no surprise A24 is attached to it.

Can't wait to see how it all unfolds...

I think literally anyone will find something they'll be able to relate to. And honestly if you don't you're probably not human.

Hell yeah man! People are finally catching on. Its #1 currently on Netflix for tv shows!! I can't wait for everyone to finish it, buckle up!!!

• Like 3

Finished another three episodes...

God I love the End Credits and their choice of music! So well done :smile

Edited by laagi
  • Like 2

OpiumKungFuCracker

For those wondering what type of show this is, it’s horror. Need more chatter in this thread. Can’t stop thinking about this crazy azz show.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

For those wondering what type of show this is, it’s horror. Need more chatter in this thread. Can’t stop thinking about this crazy azz show.

Well let me be the first, technically second to add some chatter then.

Finished it yesterday and I'm still a bit flashed. Probably one of my favourite Netflix series now.

However for all the well deserved praise there's two things which I honestly found a bit off putting.

First and foremost the blatant product placement. Going as far as incorporating these brands into dialogue is a big fat minus for me.

By the end of episode 9 this was probably a perfect 10/10 for me. Despite the negative mentioned above.

Unfortunately they didn't stick the landing. 2/3 of the last episode is just one long tedious conversation. Not without its moments certainly. Some of it is funny, sad, depressing and just crazy. Which probably sums up the series perfectly.

Overall all things considered this is a great series. With few downsides barely worth mentioning. Highly recommended!

P.S. By the looks of it we'll get a second season. I wished Netflix would just stop with that approach entirely. Just my two cents!

• Like 3

I tried to get my gf to watch this but she refuses on the grounds of David Choe's recent "rape" controversy. I didn't follow it too closely but just going by what she told me, it sounds like he admitted to sexually violating a black masseuse on his podcast but later denied it and claimed it was just "bad" storytelling.

One Armed Boxer

I finished it yesterday as well, and it's a solid 10/10 for me.

After the first episode I was left feeling like we're going to get an over-long remake of 2002's 'Changing Lanes', but it quickly establishes its own identity and becomes a hell of a trip into the darker side of human nature. Taking 2 characters who are fundamentally unhappy with their lives, one seemingly who has nothing and one who seemingly has everything, and having them collide in a way that creates a black hole sucking in everyone who's closest to them.

Spoiler

@laagi for me I actually loved episode 10, finding it to be the perfect balance after the crescendo of chaos that unfolds amongst the opulence of episode 9 (complete with some genuine "holy crap" moments), and leaving them literally in the middle of nowhere with only their own thoughts and each other to reflect on. It was (to qoute @OpiumKungFuCracker's GIF) a poetic way to finish, and the moment with the crows was a nice touch.  

Clocking in at just over 5 hours over 10 episodes, there's zero padding here and it's better paced than many movies, with every scene serving a narrative purpose both in moving the plot forward as well as developing the characters. While my complaints about the cookie cutter output of Netflix are many, 'Beef' is a reminder that they do occasionally knock it out of the park. The creation of Lee Sung-jin, before 'Beef' he was mainly known for writing episodes under the pen name of Sonny Lee on series like '2 Broke Girls' and 'It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia'. He obviously always had the story for 'Beef' in him (and he also makes his directorial debut here helming the final episode), and say what you want about the current hot topic of diversity, but it's highly unlikely even just 10 years ago that an American series whose cast consists primarily of Korean-Americans would have been green lit. I'm just glad it was.

If I could nitpick, and this is certainly not only limited to 'Beef', it's that I find whenever digital de-aging is used in a production I'm able to spot it straight away, which immediately takes me out of the story. I'm sure the technique will be advanced enough in a couple of years that it'll be unrecognizable, but when it's used briefly here in a flashback sequence for Steven Yuen, I was transported straight to the uncanny valley.

For anyone who's on the fence about checking this one out, get off it and enjoy the ride!

18 hours ago, laagi said:

P.S. By the looks of it we'll get a second season. I wished Netflix would just stop with that approach entirely. Just my two cents!

No, and no! I mean it ended perfectly! The only way I could see a 2nd season possibly having even a remote chance of working is if they decide to make it thematic and focus on a new set of characters, but when it comes to Steven Yuen and Ali Wong, that final scene was the perfect ending.

PS As a fun piece of trivia, the artwork that kicks off each episode with the title overlaid is created by David Choe, the actor who plays Isaac.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

If I could nitpick, and this is certainly not only limited to 'Beef', it's that I find whenever digital de-aging is used in a production I'm able to spot it straight away, which immediately takes me out of the story.

I'm generally surprised that they don't just use younger actors as they did before. Most of that CGI rejuvenating crap looks horrible!

18 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

I tried to get my gf to watch this but she refuses on the grounds of David Choe's recent "rape" controversy. I didn't follow it too closely but just going by what she told me, it sounds like he admitted to sexually violating a black masseuse on his podcast but later denied it and claimed it was just "bad" storytelling.

Damn and another one! Do any of these guys have some sort of dick control? I have to wonder. And if he really admitted to it than calling it "bad storytelling" is just total BS.

• Like 2

OpiumKungFuCracker
On 4/16/2023 at 11:18 AM, Yihetuan said:

that shit Choe was talkin about was on some dumb comedy podcast. It’s a comedy podcast, cancel culture can suck a fat nut. Where was this energy at the time of when he said all this? None of the creators and actors got nothing to do with it, tf?

So do cancel culture only apply to entertainment? What about like pizza delivery guy? Or your neighborhood grocery store? Should we all check their backgrounds too? What about this fandom? Should we all get a background check? 

5 hours ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

that shit Choe was talkin about was on some dumb comedy podcast. It’s a comedy podcast, cancel culture can suck a fat nut. Where was this energy at the time of when he said all this? None of the creators and actors got nothing to do with it, tf?

So do cancel culture only apply to entertainment? What about like pizza delivery guy? Or your neighborhood grocery store? Should we all check their backgrounds too? What about this fandom? Should we all get a background check? 

Cool story bro'

• Haha 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

On 4/18/2023 at 10:01 PM, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

Ask any of my relatives, friends and workmates and they'll gladly confirm I should've been cancelled years ago. I'm not sure if that makes me a bad person per se but from what I gather I'm a pretty decent guy to be around. So take it as you will.

Who's next to confess their sins? :yociexp100:

• Haha 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Such good writing on this show, so accurate to how people react and converse these days. Ali Wong is surprisingly good.

Just finished it yesterday, hell of an ending. I almost wished that there was no season 2 though. I'm content with where these characters ended up and we leave it to our imaginations where things go from here. Understood though that the almighty dollar wins out.

Edited by Gaijin84
  • Like 3

PandaPawPaw

I enjoyed it but I don't really think a S2 is needed.

David Choe is a shit in both the show and real life.

Steven Yeun is such a cool actor.  He comes across as a totally nice guy too.

At various parts of the show when Ali Wong is talking, all I could hear was her character Bertie from Tuca and Bertie. :D

• Buddha Bless You 1

Drunken Monk

I finished this last night and I agree with the majority of what's been said in this thread. It's a wonderful, engrossing series. It's funny, thrilling, deep and tense at times. One thing's for sure... It's a trip.

No second season is needed and I hope they don't push forward with one. Or if they do, they start afresh with brand new characters. These characters should be put to bed.

Regarding the ending, I loved it but...

Spoiler

I kind of wanted them both to die after eating the poisoned berries. That would have been just as good as the ending they gave us. It would have been the ultimate irony.

• Like 2

On 4/26/2023 at 10:50 AM, Drunken Monk said:

Regarding the ending, I loved it but...

Totally 100% agree, as I was watching the same thought ran through my head, that "alternate" ending would have been absolutely perfect. A totally ballsy and fitting way to wrap it up. Oh well.

Unrelated question, does anyone know when the weird scene with the under the blanket/hotel stranger scene takes place? Is that before Amy gets married? Or after everything falls apart? I was totally confused.

Edited by Gaijin84

Drunken Monk
19 minutes ago, Gaijin84 said:

Unrelated question, does anyone know when the weird scene with the under the blanket/hotel stranger scene takes place? Is that before Amy gets married? Or after everything falls apart? I was totally confused.

Before her marriage. When she was young. Maybe early 20's? That's how I interpreted it anyway.

• Like 1