Customs Frontline - Dir. Herman Yau [2023] (Hong Kong)

mark187

I saw someone post on Instagram an image of Tony Jaa and Nicholas Tse (pic of Tony from Ong-Bak and Nic from Raging Fire, not actually together), and they said filming starts next month. When I went back to check later, it appears they’ve deleted all their Instagram posts. Had anyone heard anything to confirm if these 2 are really about to do a project together?!

• Like 2

Did anyone notice this...this is pretty exciting

However because Ting Fung this time would also serve as action director, he insisted upon departing as scheduled.

• Like 3

COVID 19 has put a delay on this project as they started earlier this month. Apparently the plot involves black market arms smuggling and a Thai police officer coming to join a HK customs agent on the case, which is where the Tony Jaa rumor stems from.

• Like 2

Jacky, Karena Lam and Francis Ng have all been added to the cast. Unfortunately no mention of Tony Jaa so it’s looking like he might not be in it

Edited by mark187
  • Like 2

Filming has started, and zero mention of Tony Jaa being involved so it looks like he’s probably not in it. I’d say this topic could be moved now to Asian cinema forum as it looks like there won’t be any martial arts action in it but still sounds like it’ll be a great HK action film. The title looks to either be War Customized or Customs Front Line

Edited by mark187
  • Like 2

whitesnake

Updates from City on Fire, Blu-ray.com and Well Go USA, which has picked up Customs Frontline for a limited American theatrical release on July 19, 2024. Cast includes Nicholas Tse, Jacky Cheung, Karena Lam, Yase Liu, and Francis Ng. Nicholas Tse is the action choreographer. "A Blu-ray release is expected to be officially announced later this year."

More info at https://wellgousa.com/films/customs-frontline 

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=34704 

https://cityonfire.com/cat-iii-hong-kong-filmmaker-herman-yau-to-make-war-customized-with-jacky-cheung-and-nicholas-tse/ 

Well Go trailer - 

I just love how the CCP literally changed the "white savoir trope" into "chinese heroes save poor black people". Never gets old!

Drunken Monk

I enjoyed the stunts, fight scenes, and shootouts in this one. I pretty much hated everything else. And there's a WHOLE LOT of "everything else" to hate. Customs Frontline is absolute waffle. It's pretty much 90 minutes of Herman Yau telling his audience about how bad depression can be before slipping in a few action beats here and there.
I wouldn't even say this is an action film. It's very much a drama. Maybe you can get away with "action drama," Either way, I'm severely disappointed. Incredible action - and I can't want to see more Nicholas Tse. He has a great eye for action - but there is too little of it. It really is a shame.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2024 at 7:07 AM, One Armed Boxer said:

Pretty much sums up my expectations after seeing the trailer!? Too bad Tse's talent has been wasted like this for the most part. Thank you for antoher great review brother.

• Like 2

Yihetuan

Recently caught this and I also agree with @One Armed Boxer 's review over at CoF even if I would've given it one more star. Nicholas Tse does carry this film for the most part as I certainly can't expect the other two big names in Jacky Cheung or Francis Ng (both over 60) to do any heavy lifting in the action department but both seemed superfluous and in this film just for their star power. Yau attempted to incorporate them in the story but it came out too soapy with a forced melodramatic script. The sequences where Jacky Cheung starts remembering his bi-polar flashbacks was laughable and the tying the loose ends at the end was just as predictable. But the I did enjoy the action sequences more than most here, yes they were bloated with excessive CG but still felt some of the action set pieces were quite entertaining & enjoyed Tse's fight scenes.

• Like 1