1%er (aka One Percenter aka One-Percent Warrior) (2023) Tak Sakaguchi

Ronin

whitesnake

https://kungfukingdom.com/one-percenter-trailer-teases-incredible-action/ 

"No details are yet set in stone on the US or UK releases of “One Percenter”, but the ever-reliable American import label Well Go USA, will be handling stateside right for the movie, which will naturally include a streaming release on their martial arts and Asian action cinema-centric platform, Hi-YAH!"

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer
On 1/10/2024 at 5:38 AM, Flashlegstan2009 said:

Third window films has put it out via dvd so if your in the UK you can get it via the link below 👌

Correction - Blu-ray.

Good to see the UK version is also missing the god awful addition of the word ‘Warrior’ that the US release will be re-titled as.

Flashlegstan2009
On 1/11/2024 at 4:57 AM, One Armed Boxer said:

Correction - Blu-ray.

Good to see the UK version is also missing the god awful addition of the word ‘Warrior’ that the US release will be re-titled as.

Yes sorry my default is dvd in my phone you are correct I've ordered my copy I'll update you all ASAP 

• Like 1

On 1/10/2024 at 8:57 PM, One Armed Boxer said:

Correction - Blu-ray.

yeah, the inclusion of the word "warrior" is a daft decision by Well Go. Anyway, the blu ray is due out in March.

One-percent-Warrior.jpg

Drunken Monk

I had a great time with this. Loved it. On one hand, it's a wonderful action film and on the other, it's a meta commntary on today's action cinema. It's also surprisingly funny at times as it takes the piss out of the likes of Kenji Tanigaki and Jackie Chan. There's also a distinct feeling that Tak doesn't mind making fun of himself either. Though those moments that seem to laugh at Tak and his "one man show" image are a little overturned by what happened at the end of the film.

Regarding the action, despite devolving into "slappy hands" on occasion, it's mostly FANTASTIC. The flashlight fight scene is one of my favorites from recent years. It's conceptually clever and if you really break down the fight choreography, it's petty much perfect. A brilliant and original action sequences for sure.

The plot houses the action well too. It never drags. It never feels superfluous. But, surprisingly, the film does have a lot to say and even has a twist. This is the rare action film you can actually dig into.

If you don't like the style of action found in HydraBad City and Baby Assassins, this one might not be for you. I think it's great though.

• Like 2

Liked the whole premise of an aging action star's thoughts on modern day action cinema and direction it headed. Some fights were pretty good, the one with the wrench being my favorite, interesting and fresh choreo.  Still, that style of fighting and filming the fights is still somewhat alien to me. I thought it was used the best in Baby Assassins, but here it was lacking something, imho

I thought some ideas were similar to Ride On. The low budget look made me think of  Versus and later it dawned on me that both starred Tak. I had to check on imdb to realize, it's been 24 yrs since Versus! Man, time flies...