New Police Story 2 (20??)

Drunken Monk

One Armed Boxer

This is the surprise of Filmart for sure. It's bizarre that Chan would choose to address a Hong Kong audience that he's already fallen out of favour with in Mandarin considering 1. he's in Hong Kong, 2. his character in 'New Police Story' is from Hong Kong, and 3. it's a Hong Kong movie. I'm wondering what that means for the actual production, are we going to see a reversal of the roles that Michelle Yeoh and Chan played in 'Police Story 3', and Chan will be the cop from China? I can see the plot synopsis for it now - 

"Twenty years after the events in 'New Police Story', Senior Inspector Chan Kwok-Wing (Jackie Chan) decided to start a new life and transferred to Shanghai, where he became a respected member of the force. Now his protoge Frank Cheng (Nicholas Tse), who chose to remain in Hong Kong, is up against his biggest case yet. Known for his unorthodox investigation methods, and keen to avoid stirring up more unrest in the SAR, the PRC send Kwok-Wing back to his old stomping ground to partner with Cheng once more, and ensure the investigation upholds China's high standards for investigative police work." 

• Like 3

Of all the sequels, this is actually one I can get behind. A darker story with an older Chan will hopefully turn out like The Shinkuku Incident.

• Like 3

One Armed Boxer
22 minutes ago, SamSeed said:

A darker story with an older Chan will hopefully turn out like The Shinkuku Incident.

A movie like 'The Shinjuku Incident' couldn't be made under the current film laws that govern China and Hong Kong's cinematic output, so as much as I'd like to see the same, my hopes aren't high.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

This is the surprise of Filmart for sure. It's bizarre that Chan would choose to address a Hong Kong audience that he's already fallen out of favour with in Mandarin considering 1. he's in Hong Kong, 2. his character in 'New Police Story' is from Hong Kong, and 3. it's a Hong Kong movie. I'm wondering what that means for the actual production, are we going to see a reversal of the roles that Michelle Yeoh and Chan played in 'Police Story 3', and Chan will be the cop from China? I can see the plot synopsis for it now - 

"Twenty years after the events in 'New Police Story', Senior Inspector Chan Kwok-Wing (Jackie Chan) decided to start a new life and transferred to Shanghai, where he became a respected member of the force. Now his protoge Frank Cheng (Nicholas Tse), who chose to remain in Hong Kong, is up against his biggest case yet. Known for his unorthodox investigation methods, and keen to avoid stirring up more unrest in the SAR, the PRC send Kwok-Wing back to his old stomping ground to partner with Cheng once more, and ensure the investigation upholds China's high standards for investigative police work." 

I think it’s time for you to call Nic Tse up for some script revisions. =) You can be the new Joey O’Bryan!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

New Police Story was probably Jackie's best movie of the 2000s, if not the entire 21st century - though I'll admit I've seen less and less of his output from recent years.  Boy, is he throwing the 2013 movie under Chu Tau's bus!  That one actually had a sequel setup.  But this is the right choice - that movie was unworthy of the Police Story name, to say the least. This franchise is approaching Halloween levels of branching, now, 

Actually, wait a minute... New Police Story 2 will be at least as far removed in years from NPS1 as New Police Story was from the original Police Story.  That's gotta mean something.  Not sure what, but it's impressive.

Edited by starschwar
  • Like 2

AlbertV
Posted (edited)

There has been a small update on the status of the film. At the New York Asian Film Festival, Nicholas Tse (who received the International Star Asia Award) was asked about directing New Police Story 2. 

He said he originally didn't want to direct it, but Jackie Chan convinced him to take on the directing role. Nicholas told Jackie he would do it only if he produces. The film is still in early development. 

https://www.screendaily.com/features/nicholas-tse-on-the-state-of-hong-kongs-film-industry-and-moving-into-directing/5195531.article?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=NYAFF 2024 special&utm_content=NYAFF 2024 special+CID_2e171f62ba4412717dcaa5458e9e8fba&utm_source=Newsletter&utm_term=Nicholas Tse on the state of Hong Kongs film industry and moving into directing

Edited by AlbertV