Never Say Never aka Octagonal (2023) - Wang Bao Qiang

laagi

One Armed Boxer

I’m going to say that’s a click bait image using a publicity shot from ‘Kung Fu Jungle’, simple based on the fact that if Yen was involved I’m sure @DiP would have let us know by now!

• Haha 3

23 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

I’m going to say that’s a click bait image using a publicity shot from ‘Kung Fu Jungle’, simple based on the fact that if Yen was involved I’m sure @DiP would have let us know by now!

That's what I thought. However, I'll gladly take this chance again to say that Kung Fu Jungle is my favorite Donnie Yen movie!

• Like 3

First reviews are in and dare I say it looks promising. Video below from our very own @TheArtyDans. Interesting point at the end regarding the future of Kung Fu cinema.

Edited by laagi
  • Like 1

Watched and loved it! Wang Baoqiang not only proves to be a competent director but also delivers a great performance.

Also special mention needs to go to all the young talent in the movie. They did an outstanding job.

It's a tough and tear jerking watch that's for sure. Dealing with a lot of social issues at once. The drama for some, I imagine will be a bit too heavy handed at times.

To me however if I may be so bold the drama here feels real and for the most part works. As compared to other recent big budget chinese productions. And while it may seem unfair or non-comparable ultimately 'Ride On' comes to mind. Simply as an example of how not to do it!

I was also rather surprised on how the movie manages to shed a light on social issues that plague chinese society. Or may I go as far as saying society in general.

'Never Say Never' is first and foremost a drama about growing up, having this one shot in life, social stigma, tabloid journalism and yes Martial Arts and what meaning it can have or give to ones life!

Overall I highly recommend this! And as a cherry on top there's even some awesome training montage. What's not to love here!