Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem (2023).

PandaPawPaw

So that was awful.

Visual style was kind of good. I say kind of as it sometimes feels messy and they have static lines when they should be moving like glowing lights etc.

Music is good but not in the good soundtrack type of way. Lots of good songs but most if not all don't need to even be in the movie. It actually feels like one long music video. The music virtually never stops! Every five seconds and wham another song!

Trying too hard to be cool. Comes across as forced and lazy/cringey.

Ice Cube as Superfly sounds fucking shit. At least try to act. Jack Black as Bowser in Super Mario is a perfect example of an actor doing a voice and not sounding like himself. Too many big names just for the sake of it when they should use actual voice actors!

Turtles are boring and predictable. Also don't talk like teens do a lot of the time or force trying to be cool. I felt like they were trying to make them sound like the Stranger Things kids.

Black April is meh. Not feisty like Judith Hoag who IMO is April O'Neil!

JC as Splinter is so out of place. I did like Jackie's voice acting but his voice doesn't match Splinter! Also they tried to make him hip and funny. It just came across as lame.

At the beginning they mix scenes from live action films into the movie and it's so jarringly bad! At one point they are watching Ferris Bueller!

1.thumb.jpg.aefce655b36c0f2c5356146f1d80c73b.jpg

Story is meh. World doesn't expect us mutants waaaah waaaah waaaah! Humans bad. Blah!

Why does Donnie have to have glasses! Why is this a thing now! Yes he's a smart geeky character but they always make him look goofy now!

Turtle Tots was my only favourite part but that's because baby turtles will always be cute and fun. Though again Splinter was cringe in those moments. Ugh.

Spoiler

The ending showing Shredder made me groan as that means a sequel will happen. Ugh! Though Shredder is cool, the turtles in this are not but who knows maybe they make Shredder annoying in the sequel.

FUCKING SHIT!

Gotta wash that bad taste away! I know with some 1990 goodness.

• Haha 1

Having grown up with the '87 cartoon it's safe to say I've been a huge TMNT fan. Also IMHO the 1990's live action version will always be the best adaptation to the big screen bar none. Part 2 will go down as a guilty pleasure and I refuse to watch part 3 to this day.

As for this, I actually kind of liked it. Art style has some uniqueness to it although does remind a lot of the recent 'Across the Spider-Verse'. I think it goes without saying the latter being far more successful. Which begs the question are TMNT still a thing?

I think the movie does a lot of stuff right one being it's for the most part fun to watch. Plenty of easter eggs in there, especially on how the boys were trained and turned into fighting machines. 

My biggest complaint however is that just like 'Spider-Verse' it's just too nervous at times. By which I mean too much is just going on. Less can definitely be more!

Also as much as I love JC he was miscast as Splinter's voice here plain and simple. Also a question for the die-hard fans how was Splinter actually trained in the original comics? I always loved the idea of him imitating the movements of his keeper (master). 

Another thing I do admit April was at times annoying but still bearable. Overall if you've enjoyed the style of 'Spider-Verse' and are a fan of TMNT I think you can give this a chance and will definitely get some enjoyment out of it! Recommended.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, laagi said:

Having grown up with the '87 cartoon it's safe to say I've been a huge TMNT fan. Also IMHO the 1990's live action version will always be the best adaptation to the big screen bar none. Part 2 will go down as a guilty pleasure and I refuse to watch part 3 to this day.

As for this, I actually kind of liked it. Art style has some uniqueness to it although does remind a lot of the recent 'Across the Spider-Verse'. I think it goes without saying the latter being far more successful. Which begs the question are TMNT still a thing?

I think the movie does a lot of stuff right one being it's for the most part fun to watch. Plenty of easter eggs in there, especially on how the boys were trained and turned into fighting machines. 

My biggest complaint however is that just like 'Spider-Verse' it's just too nervous at times. By which I mean too much is just going on. Less can definitely be more!

Also as much as I love JC he was miscast as Splinter's voice here plain and simple. Also a question for the die-hard fans how was Splinter actually trained in the original comics? I always loved the idea of him imitating the movements of his keeper (master). 

Another thing I do admit April was at times annoying but still bearable. Overall if you've enjoyed the style of 'Spider-Verse' and are a fan of TMNT I think you can give this a chance and will definitely get some enjoyment out of it! Recommended.

I heard @laagi was high while writing that and in fact he really hated it.

:P

I hated the last part of them

Spoiler

going to college! I just groaned! UGH!

Though I did like one bit......................

..................when it ended.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, laagi said:

Sequel was obviously gonna happen but I'm not down for a series tbh.

Paramount are going to milk it dry! Till the teats falls off!

I feel like this franchise just gets a small run with each reincarnation. Hopefully this one doesn't last too long........................