A Legend (aka The Myth 2) (2023) - Jackie Chan

SamSeed

Josh Baker
20 minutes ago, PandaPawPaw said:

This is his de-aged version. How it all fits together, I have no idea (not seen the Myth).

I'm liking how Jackie is looking like a Chinese Ronnie Corbett nowadays. And they're right, the de-aged Jackie looks more like his son than himself, but the likeness isn't too bad.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, SamSeed said:

1.5/5 stars in case anyone is too lazy to read.

So I guess any chance for Jackie to let his career age gracefully are out of the window then. 

I don't get it in all honesty. The guy has proven time and again that he's more than capable behind the camera why the desperation to still be on screen. Especially in roles which he clearly can no longer perform.  Ego? Money?

C'mon Jackie you're better than this!

• Like 2

PandaPawPaw
42 minutes ago, laagi said:

1.5/5 stars in case anyone is too lazy to read.

So I guess any chance for Jackie to let his career age gracefully are out of the window then. 

I don't get it in all honesty. The guy has proven time and again that he's more than capable behind the camera why the desperation to still be on screen. Especially in roles which he clearly can no longer perform.  Ego? Money?

6507560_460s.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, laagi said:

Nowadays, I only expect good action scenes from him. The good old days of him doing actual stories and characters are long gone.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DiP said:

Nowadays, I only expect good action scenes from him. The good old days of him doing actual stories and characters are long gone.

And when exactly did he last deliver on that promise!? Maybe they guy really owns a debt to the triads lol who knows.

55 minutes ago, laagi said:

And when exactly did he last deliver on that promise!?

Hidden Strike and Ride On I thought has some good action stuff. Both junk but still provides what we want to see from Chan. Chan loves his junk but at least he hasn't forgotten about his roots (choreographing fight scenes). That's all that matter at this point.

• Like 1

Yihetuan
1 hour ago, DiP said:

Hidden Strike and Ride On I thought has some good action stuff. Both junk but still provides what we want to see from Chan. Chan loves his junk but at least he hasn't forgotten about his roots (choreographing fight scenes). That's all that matter at this point.

I agree about Ride On but Hidden Strike was hot garbage. But shit man, Ride On even made a shed a tear or two.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, DiP said:

'Ride On' was a tearjerker, a supposed swan song to Jackie an his career which didn't offer anything new let alone exciting when it came to the action. But I admit it did work as a drama which I'm all for if he wants to go this direction.

After-all, he's proven before that he's got the talent for dramatic performances. 'Shinjuku Incident' and 'The Foreigner' comes to mind.

As for 'Hidden Strike' I agree with my brother @Yihetuan was garbage plain and simple. But hey to each their own.

I'm really curious how significant his role is gonna be in the new Karate Kid movie. In all honesty I'm looking forward to that. Dare I say maybe even a brief cameo in the last season of 'Cobra Kai'.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, laagi said:

'Ride On' was a tearjerker, a supposed swan song to Jackie an his career which didn't offer anything new let alone exciting when it came to the action. But I admit it did work as a drama which I'm all for if he wants to go this direction.

After-all, he's proven before that he's got the talent for dramatic performances. 'Shinjuku Incident' and 'The Foreigner' comes to mind.

Jackie doesn't need to offer anything new or exciting when it comes to the action but at least offer his brand of fight scenes that he can still do while he's aging. And that is what I feel he did with the two movies I mentioned. At this point, I don't mind him pouring his energy on making decent fight scenes in whatever he does before he retires from acting.

As movies, which I already stated, are junk (Ride On was alright in terms of emotional context but the whole idea with the horse usage left a bad taste in my mouth) so there's nothing to praise in that department. Just my two cents.

Drunken Monk
12 hours ago, DiP said:

I agree with you. I'm one of the few tha kinds enjoyed Hidden Strike, but it could be because I went in expecting absolutely trash. I don't think it's that bad at all. It's absoltue fluff, but entertaining fluff.

• Like 2

PandaPawPaw

I thought Ride On was meh with the odd OK moment but Hidden Strike was utter shite! Awful CGI and Cena trying to be funny. Nope!

I like JC in serious roles but he does over do the crying. Like he thinks if you cry your nuts off, that means a great performance when sometime less is more.

crying-jackie-chan-ho78j7tp3zpqexy5.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A Legend is an awful movie until the last 25 minutes and then it finally becomes Jackie's movie. Jackie's action at the end, I found to be quite excellent. There is some terrible cgi in the last 25 minutes but overall that part of the movie is very satisfying 

Btw, Jackie does not play himself in the scenes in the past for his deaging. It is someone else with a poor attempt at Jackie's face plastered on to them. Every little bit, I had stop and go, oh yeah, that's Jackie's character. As a longtime Jackie fan, the AI doesn't look close enough. 

Prior to the last 25 minutes, the real Jackie gets scenes like he looks at his research, he talks to his colleagues, he eats, he sleeps, etc. it is not very interesting.

All the sequences in the past are mostly terrible but there is a little good choreography. The last half hour of the film barely has any bits that take place in the past but the preceding 99 minutes is about 88 percent in the past and 12 percent in the present.

Also worth noting about the finale is that in comparison to Kung Fu Yoga and Vanguard, Jackie gets most of the finale action to himself, with minimal involvement from his Archaeological team.

Edited by 36tripsofdeath
  • Like 1