Magnificient Ruffians and Life Gamble, verdicts in???

Guest The Amazing Psychoper

My copies of Life Gamble and House of Traps arrived in the mail today.

I'm not quite sure what to make of Life Gamble, I think I need to watch it a few more times. It felt pretty disjointed to me, there were almost too many twists and turns. And the protagonists weren't very clearly defined, it felt like there were simply too many characters vying for screen time. It all felt rather messy.

And honestly, after watching Sammo Hung's Odd Couple a few days ago, the fights (of which there weren't many) seemed pretty underwhelming. Some cool secret weapons though.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Just watched Magnificent Ruffians last night. Awesome! The storyline to this film depicts the effect industrialisation had on the culture of ancient china's culture. Four starving, homeless, vagabonds (Chiang Sheng, Kuo Chui, Wang Li, Sun Chien) who used to be hero's of family run security services are befriended by a rich son (Lu Feng's) of a still operating security company who owns most of the businesses in town. Lu Feng has one last security service rival in town (Lo Mang's) who he's planning on either buying or bringing down. Lu Feng sets up a scheme to pit the four kung fu vagabonds against Lo Mang which isn't going very well at first then he up's the measure and tragedy unfolds.

This film is extremely well written. The sparring and actual battling scenes are choreographed perfectly. The final battles between Lu Feng and Kuo Chui as well as Chiang Sheng alternately are amazing. There are moments here that if Kuo or Chiang didn't duck quick enough Lu Feng would have sheered eithers's head clean off. This has got to be some of the most intense Venom's choreographing in their history of film.

I must say that this film is one of the very few which deserves a 10/10 rating. Others include Avenging Eagle, The Duel, Vengeance, Shoalin Mantis, and Human Lanterns to mention a few.

Just watched The Kid With The Golden Arm.

Now, after seeing these four Venom's films remastered w/ english subs I have to say, the english dubbs for Magnificent Ruffians and The Kid With The Golden Arm's eng. dubs were superior to the more recent eng. subs on the remasters. Though there are some parts that actually give me a little more insight.

Kid With The Golden Arm actually picks up hardcore halfway throughout the flick with the choreographing. I think this may be Sun Chien's only villinous role (I really can't remember right now) but, the fight between he and Kuo Chui is superb, I think quite marvelous. It was strange watchin this film (my first venoms film) with eng. subs that didn't match up with the dialogue of the eng dubbs

What a f*ckin week. I wiill never forgive myself for blowing off Lo Mang's visit.

Guest tarim69

Im looking foward to watching Ruffians. I actually remember seeing 2 different cuts on it when it was on TV back in the mid80s. However Im used to the one cut I have on VHS for so many years.So Im anxious to see how it is on DVD.

"I really don't care for Flag of Iron, House of Traps, Ode to Gallantry, Masked Avengers, Shaolin Rescuers"

Same here. I liked their earlier stuff. I dont like Rescuers or Daredevils and really dont like the stuff from the Super Ninja era. Ruffians was the last Venoms films I really enjoyed. Golden Arm is just ok though I wish Pai Wei had appeared in more SB films. I always liked this movie.

I remember seeing Flag and Ruffians on tv(still have the VHS tapes), but not most of the filsm that came after. Those I saw on video.

Life Gamble, I really dont remember. I lost a couple of VHS years ago and its not ringing a bell at all. Maybe Ill recognize it once I see it, but by name and description, it doesnt sound familiar.

Due to have them monday. Cant wait.

tarim69, when ya watch Ruffians just try to mindset yourself to the fact that the Dubbs you remember aren't gonna match the english subs. It kind of detracted from the remaster, only a little, but still then it is Magnificent anyway.

Guest Ching li

Well i finally got my life gamble dvd and i must say this movie was very different from your typical chang cheh flick. Since viewing a clearing print ( i got rid of the old vhs) i got a better understanding of the movie. The entire movie was like a mexican stand off. The way everyone was getting bumped off it almost came off like a comedy skit about good guys, bad guys. But overall it was ok, still not one of my favorites, but a good pass time.

Guest oldeschool17

Just watched Maginificent Ruffians. I forget if this was mentioned yet, but did anybody notice the subs @#%$ up. For instance when Chaing Sheng goes to the pawn shop to sell off his swords. For 20-30 seconds theres dialogue with no subs and then they just magically appear for a few seconds then theres no subs. Also, randomn points ive noticed how the subs are rushed and dissapear before you can fully read it.

Aside from technical difficulties, i enjoyed this movie. I typically dont like films set in this "era"(Beatlemania hairdo's and pajama outfits), which is why ive avoided Shaolin Daredevils and Rebel Intruders, but there was a fair bit of action and weapons to keep me entertained.

Life gamble was okay/good 7/10. House of traps 7/10. Magnificent Ruffians is the best release out of the new batch imo. It had been a while since I had seen it but I really enjoyed this much more than I remember liking it the first time I saw it 8.5/10.

Guest peringaten

Magnificent Ruffians - yes, yes, yes, yes. Just yes. Too good. Funny, seems my Venoms-balance weights in favour Daredevils, Killer Army and surely this now... Guess I like this time-period and setting. Seems CC and the V's did too, the best films came out of it imo. Full marks.

Guest peringaten

Life Gamble, slightly unbalanced, or perhaps a slow builder. Took me a while to warm up to this; once the gambling kicked in I was thoroughly enchanted - strange as my brain usually unintentionally switches off a bit when the genre takes to the dice or tiles.

After that it was all smooth sailing - very nice film. Great finale. Great intrigues with the plot. Good stuff. Still need to get over the first half a bit (and a few other things I can't be bothered to elaborate) though to love it as much as some of the rest of you seem too.

Agreed with Tino - Magnificent Ruffians, definitely the best of the batch. That period, era, tone and setting really seems to bring the best screen cameraderie out of the players - infectious, and the choreo really shows for it. Loved that one; again, full marks.

Guest teako170

I must agree with many here that LIFE GAMBLE was quite a treat.

After years of watching that bogus washed out boot, this film was a true gem to see remastered. It only makes me wonder what later Venom films might have looked liked if they hadn't been "moved inside." Granted, the hokey staged sets gave their films a certain uniqueness but the "epic" settings of LG provided a rare opportunity to see the Venoms play in the sun.

I think I watched the first 4 minutes of this film three times now. Can't get enough of that. :lol

...And that original trailer? Nice!

Guest stormybman

I also loved Magnificent Ruffians. The choreography once again stood out, and Lu Feng is forever the dirty, rotten, Venom, LOL. I've always got the impression he really enjoyed being the baddie. :b

The only thing I didn't like about this film is Lo Meng's character dying so early. Wow, this man's fist technique is so furious, he undoubtedly, could defend against most common weapons...

"Will you tell me what Teacher died of?"

Watch this last week and enjoyed it after not seeing it for years (prob around 10).

The one who really stood out here for me was Chiang Sheng. He was great here, very funny and charismatic. His dialogue make me laugh a few times, it all worked.

Also always enjoyed Wang Li's axeman here.

I watched this movie a long time ago on my bootleg VHS copy and it was good then. Today, I watched this flick again in its remastered version on DVD and it is even better. I must say that the venoms delivered their best in this movie. Venom collection can't be complete without Magnificent Ruffians. My top five venom films & highly recommend.

Archived