Johnnie To

Guest goliamoto

Guest goliamoto

Lastly I have watched some movies of this Chinese director and some movies have really imprressed me, mainly Breaking News and PTU. The tone of this two movies are really special and I had never seen something like that, sometimes serious, sometimes ironic and all believable.

I have seen two more movies of him, The barefoooted kid in which i think his style is not yet defined and Running out of Time in which he starts to show his most powerful cards. Even Though this last movie didn't seem to me as half good as Breaking News or PTU I'm looking forward to watch more movies of him. What do you recommend me as a good follower of Breaking News or PTU?

Guest kenichiku

Johnnie's much hyped triad epic 'Election' is getting decent buzz over here in HK with it's humongous ads around town. Stars Simon Yam & Yony Leung Kar Fai.

Guest Yakuza954

If you liked Breaking News and PTU you'll probably like all his non-romance stuff. It's all on that level or better. Personally, I didn't like Throwdown at all except for the Judo choreography. My favorites of his are Running out of Time and The Mission.

Guest Kungfuneo

Election is great..To at his super best...able to capture what makes a crime boss a Real Crime boss...self preservation!!!!

Guest ODH1

for a while he was known for doing HK versions of americans films. "the mission " was heavily influenced by tarantino. His "version" of the teen shock movie "kids" called "spacked out" is a personal favorite of mine. very gritty

for a while he was known for doing HK versions of americans films.

what are they? He produced Spacked Out. As for The Mission and Tarantino...is it because that film and Taratino's films both have guys with guns? I see little connection between the two.

Guest BKarza

Always found it ineresting that he never worked with Lau Ching Wan again. It's through Wan's MW work that he became one of my favorite actors. WaGMG is lovely stuff.

Guest Markgway

To has made a few good films... but is the most overrated director in recent memory. Running on Karma, Throwdown and Fulltime Killer all stink.

Guest Beat TG

To is always overrated when going for commercial movies (although I enjoy movies like Running Out Of Time and Breaking News) but when he goes for pessimestic themes To becomes his real self.

Guest daTOAD

overrated? disagree. this dude reminds me a lot of Sun Chung. check out the Longest Nite[one of my favorites], Hero Never Dies[this and FK are commercial-slightly,but they work well], Too Many Ways Too Be No.1[think this is To or at least he produced it]. dude is dark...i love it. only thing i didnt like as much was the one with the 5 dudes just standing around[though i liked the chemistry].

Guest Markgway
He used to be overrated, until Election 2 and Exiled came out.

Haven't seen those yet.

overrated? disagree. this dude reminds me a lot of Sun Chung.

The most overrated Shaw Bros director.

Guest The Running Man
To is always overrated when going for commercial movies (although I enjoy movies like Running Out Of Time and Breaking News)

Breaking News was fine, but Running out of Time is so over-rated it makes my head spin.

Guest Markgway

Re. ROOT:

I was pissed that To took two of my favourite HK actors (Lau Ching Wan, Andy Lau) and made a crappy movie.

Guest pressureworld
He used to be overrated into Election 2 and Exiled came out

I always felt he was overrated. I could never get into the man's films. I think fulltime killer was the last of his movies I saw and I wasn't impressed with that, all bark and no bite.

Guest Beat TG

Fulltime Killer is by far the worst To movie I've seen. I tried to appreciate it but could never get into the materials (it took the irony so far it got worst after 10 min) and probably never will. His real strength lies on the more darker/pessimestic/cooler themes found in movies such as The Mission and Exiled. it's there where his real moments are of directing and producing excellent stuff.

despite the above post I think Fulltime Killer is quite alright, feels uneven at times (must be Wai Kai Fai) but still good.

check out Triangle if you still haven't, it's got alot of ideas thrown in by the directors that's fun to watch.

I have no problem appreciating the ironic mood and over all unserious tone Milkyway Image bring to their movies whatsoever but it's a bit hard for me appreciating the style in FK. dunno, maybe it's just the story (based on an Edmond Pang novel) or even due to Wai Kai Fai (same guy who directed Too Many Way To Be No. 1, a masterpiece in many ways).