GUY RITCHIE’S THE COVENANT (2023) - Jake Gyllenhaal, Dar Salim

laagi

Is this the official apology to the afghan people after pretty much plunging an entire nation into chaos and being responsible for the deaths, persecution and imprisonment of countless "interpreters"? I guess we shall never know but the timing seems a bit "off" to say the least for such a movie. Oh Hollywood please never change...

• Like 1

I've actually sat down today and was pleasantly surprised with this one. Jake Gyllenhaal gives another good performance so does the supporting cast. However it is really Dar Salim as Ahmed (I know of all names) that steals the show a bit.

Movie offers a pretty good mix of (war) drama and action all wrapped nicely under a basic yet compelling story. It's really a movie about brother-/friendship and the question on how far you're willing to go for it. Especially if you're in someone's debt.

Not to mention that this whole news got sidelined by more "pressing" issues and yet 1000's of interpreters and their families are still in hiding. One would hope the US or at least the ones responsible would do everything in their power to get these people out. Then again they never honored their side of the deal to begin with.

It's an upsetting and unfortunately repeating issue which will only help continue the downward spiral of hate towards the west. It might be a bit too much to say this is an important movie. It has clear budget constraints, some of the usual propaganda and at times some far fetched story line.

With all that being said it's still a good movie not only here to remind us of a pressing and still ongoing issue but also at the same time delivering some entertainment. Above all it's really about brotherhood and for that alone I recommend you watch 'The Covenant'.

As a side note why didn't this get any coverage? Like at all. At least the critical drinker gave it a recommendation. Not sure if it even had a theatrical run but with all the shit that's being shown on the big screen?! Kind of upsetting to see stuff like this getting completely ignored.

Edited by laagi