Poll - "Honorable Mentions" for the Hong Kong Film Award for Best Action Choreography - 2006

DrNgor

Best Action Choreography - 2006  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Which film would you choose for Best Action Choreography for 2006?

• Nicky Li Chung-Chi (Fatal Contact)
    • Yuen Woo-Ping (The Banquet)
    • Benz Kong (My Kung Fu Sweetheart)
    • Wong Chi-Wai, Ling Chun-Pong (Exiled)
    • Corey Yuen (DOA: Dead or Alive)

ShaOW!linDude

Well, I'm going with Leopard Hunting on this one. Almost went with Enter the Eagles because I really enjoy the match up between Shannon Lee and Benny 'the Jet' Urqidez. But I'm a sucker for good Yuen Wah badness. And I've never even seen this movie. Just ff-ing through the action tells me I need to track this one down pronto.

• Like 1

Drunken Monk

I so desperately wanted to say The Blacksheep Affair since I loved that film and I think it has a really interesting approach to action. But alas, I'm with @ShaOW!linDudeLeopard Hunting is easily the best of this bunch, from gunplay to hand-to-hand stuff. Loads of squibs too (which I love).

I've never seen Leopard Hunting, just as I haven't seen the majority of these films, but I really want to sit down and give it a watch now.

• Like 2

Looks like I'm the only one that voted for Shanghai Affairs.

That shows you how criminally underrated the action choreography is. I see it as a refined version of his work from Legend of the Wolf but it's just as enjoyable. The movie itself is underwhelming and Donnie as a doctor who can also fight was not convincing. But the plot is interesting enough, and Yu Rong-Guang as the main villain highly satisfies.

• Like 1

legendarycurry
On 7/26/2023 at 1:05 AM, DrNgor said:

I got the one vote I was asking for, but it didn't break the tie. Anyone else,?

looks like tie is broken now from my end?

7 hours ago, legendarycurry said:

looks like tie is broken now from my end?

Thanks!

And the winner for Honorable Mention in Best Action Choreography at the 18th Annual HK Film Award goes to the late Alan Chui for Leopard Hunting. Glad to see a new name on the list.

This is probably going to be the weakest line-up of the entire poll series. Really, all the best action movies were in the original five nominations. But, let's take a look at what I was able to scrounge up:

Yam Pak-Wing (City of Darkness)

James Ha, Alan Chan (Digital Warriors)

Philip Ko Fei, Benny Lai (Love & Sex in the Sung Dynasty)

Sam Wong (Body Weapon)

Bruce Law (King of Comedy)

Edited by DrNgor
  • Like 1

ShaOW!linDude

City of Darkness for me. Collin Chou always makes for a dastardly dapper villain. As a screen fighter, I think he gets severely underrated. 

Drunken Monk

City of Darkness for me too. This definitely wasn't a great batch and I was really close to voting Body Weapon. But after watching the clips again, City of Darkness is more visually appealing despite Donnie's flurry of punches.

• Like 1

Okay, I'll just put 1999 out of its misery and end it here. The winner is Yam Pak-Wing for City of Darkness. Congratulations to what will probably be the last Taiwanese movie to show up around these parts.

Okay, the line-up for the year 2000 is a little better:

Ma Yuk-Sing (Fist Power)

Phillip Kwok (Double Tap)

Tony Ching Siu-Tung (The Duel)

Douglas Kung (The King Boxer)

Yuen Tak (2000 A.D.)

Drunken Monk

Vincent Zhao, 2000's cheese, Jude Poyer... How could I not pick Fist Power? I haven't seen the film since the VHS days but I want to give it another watch. A boutique label needs to put out some Zhao flicks.

6 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

Vincent Zhao, 2000's cheese, Jude Poyer... How could I not pick Fist Power? I haven't seen the film since the VHS days but I want to give it another watch. A boutique label needs to put out some Zhao flicks.

Good news! There will be a Vincent Zhao film next time around, too! He's actually had a good round of nominations  from 1997 up to now (Mahjong Dragon; Black Sheep Affair; Body Weapon; Fist Power).

• Like 1

ShaOW!linDude

I'm going with Fist Power as well. First thing I ever saw Vincent Zhao in and thoroughly enjoyed it.