Poll - "Honorable Mentions" for the Hong Kong Film Award for Best Action Choreography - 2006

DrNgor

Best Action Choreography - 2006  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Which film would you choose for Best Action Choreography for 2006?

• Nicky Li Chung-Chi (Fatal Contact)
    • Yuen Woo-Ping (The Banquet)
    • Benz Kong (My Kung Fu Sweetheart)
    • Wong Chi-Wai, Ling Chun-Pong (Exiled)
    • Corey Yuen (DOA: Dead or Alive)

Last call for votes!

We only have 8 so far (we usually get 13-15 per week), so come on, lurkers!

• Like 1

Well, we didn't get a huge turnout for 1995, but sometimes these things happen.

In any case, the Honorable Mention for the 15th Annual Hong Kong Film Award goes to Yuen Woo-Ping, Yuen Cheung-Yan and Cho Wing for The Red Wolf.

This is Yuen Woo-Ping's third win, the other two being In the Line of Duty IV and Wing Chun. He's still behind Sammo Hung and his Stuntman Association, who lead the pack with 4 wins.

• Like 1

So, I think the general decline in HK cinema already begun by this point. 1996 gave us six nominations at the HK Film Awards the following year, and that really left us with not a lot of options. I also didn't have time to watch stuff like Thunder Cops and 18 Shaolin Golden Boys to determine their worthiness for the poll. So, I'll just do 4 nominations this week.

Our nominees are:

Yuen Tak (Beyond Hypothermia)

Lam Moon-Wah (The Hero of Swallow)

Yuen Woo-Ping (Tai Chi II)

Yuen Woo-Ping, Li Hai-Hsing (Iron Monkey 2)

• Like 1

ShaOW!linDude

Tai Chi II for me. I like Hero of Swallow, but the choreography of Tai Chi II was one of my first exposures to Yuen Woo Ping's choreography and it's a movie I enjoy revisiting.

• Like 1

Drunken Monk

Tai Chi II for me, too. It's not Woo Ping's best choreography but I love how inventive and over the top it is. It features some really solid fight scenes and the talent on board really shines.

• Like 1

legendarycurry

Uhm, I think Tai Chi 2 is quite ass. It was the movie that introduced me to Jackie Wu in 2002, a friend had it on vhs, him and his family enjoyed it, but me and all other friends that saw it kinda hated it. We would mock the movie and each other by going " 1, 2, 3 , 1,2,3 dance Billy dance" and the fights are kinda trash imho. Glad y'all like it though. I would say it is in the top three worst yuen woo ping films I've seen alongside Crouching Tiger 2 and True Legend.

I think the fights in Iron Monkey 2, which are the only parts of the movie I have seen, are pretty decent

I like Hero of Swallow but it suffers from technical issues, problems with audio, camerawork and lighting that bog it down a bit. Still has my overall vote for its fight choreography though

I have not seen Beyond Hypothermia, but I heard good things.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, legendarycurry said:

I would say it is in the top three worst yuen woo ping films I've seen alongside Crouching Tiger 2 and True Legend

Yeah, no. Close Encounters with a Vampire was miles worse than any of those. Crouching Tiger 2 wasn't great, although I think it has more to do with Netflix execs not knowing how to handle existing IP (which is a meme by this point) as opposed to YWP's limitations as a director. And I have a soft spot for True Legend.

• Like 1

legendarycurry
2 minutes ago, DrNgor said:

Yeah, no. Close Encounters with a Vampire was miles worse than any of those. Crouching Tiger 2 wasn't great, although I think it has more to do with Netflix execs not knowing how to handle existing IP (which is a meme by this point) as opposed to YWP's limitations as a director. And I have a soft spot for True Legend.

I have not seen Close Encounters With a Vampire :) But knowing me I'll probably like it lol

• Like 1

Haven’t seen or even heard of Beyond Hypothermia so might have to hunt it down but I choose Tai Chi 2,for me a fun film and as mentioned some great performances.Iron Monkey 2 was just an undercranked mess and when I watched The Hero of Swallow every time Yuen Biao’s face was covered couldn’t help but think he was being doubled.

• Like 1

legendarycurry
7 minutes ago, sym8 said:

when I watched The Hero of Swallow every time Yuen Biao’s face was covered couldn’t help but think he was being doubled.

Because he was most likely :D . I am honestly surprised by the Tai Chi 2 love, but in a nice way like I'm not hating :)  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, legendarycurry said:

like Hero of Swallow but it suffers from technical issues, problems with audio, camerawork and lighting that bog it down a bit. Still has my overall vote for its fight choreography though

I voted for this one, too. It is arguably the last great Yuen Biao film, especially if you give him the benefit of the doubt on the doubling. It also is one of the few truly good choreography moments for Lam Moon-Wah.

• Like 1

legendarycurry
48 minutes ago, DrNgor said:

It is arguably the last great Yuen Biao film

My goodness, I am not disagreeing, but the last great Yuen Biao film was 27 years ago...

:music I close my eyes, only for a moment, and the moment's gone :music

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, legendarycurry said:

but the last great Yuen Biao film was 27 years ago...

Yeah, although he might have had a few good series in the meantime, like Real Kung Fu or something.

• Like 2

MESSAGE: I'm going to leave 1996 up for a few weeks and not update the poll for a spell. 

The reason is that I wanted to do this poll and update my site with reviews from that same year in parallel, but thanks to moving to a new house and other family responsabilities, I haven't been able to watch and review as frequently as I'd like. So, I'll give a Poll a breather for a few weeks as I catch up on my site, after which I hope to update my site in unison with whatever year is being discussed.

While that is going on, an open invitation for lurkers to vote (watch the suggested videos if you haven't seen any of the nominees).

• Like 4

In any case, the Honorable Mention for the 16th Annual Hong Kong Film Award goes to Yuen Woo-Ping for Tai Chi II.

This marks Yuen Woo-Ping's fourth win, thus tying him with Sammo Hung.

• Like 1

Corey Yuen, Yuen Tak (Hero)

Donnie Yen's Stuntman Team (Legend of the Wolf)

Yuen Tak (Mahjong Dragon)

Lin Wan-Chang, Allen Lan (The Death Games)

James Ha, Allan Chan (Techno Warriors)

• Like 1

ShaOW!linDude

Hard call for me between Legend of the Wolf and Death Games. I went with the latter, mainly because DG as a whole is a great movie showcasing Louis Fan's skill set. I like LotW even though Donnie gets a little bonkers with the undercranking.

I definitely need to track down Techno Warriors, solely for the fact that Darren Shahlavi is in it, but it just looks really fun and cheesy.

• Like 1

Drunken Monk

Death Games was a very close second for me but weirdly, the winner in my eyes is a film I've never actually seen: Mahjong Dragon. I love how exaggerated the moves are and that there's a really decent combination of kicks and punches. I've always loved Vincent Zhao, too. That one gets it.

• Like 2

Haven’t seen The death games or Techno warriors(to be honest I’ve never heard of them).Hated the way too much undercranked Legend of the wolf and found Hero to be boring and dull.So Mahjong for me.(didn’t like that much either).I guess this was about the time I began to think Hong Kong had run it’s course in unique action choreography.😞

• Like 1

legendarycurry
36 minutes ago, sym8 said:

Haven’t seen The death games or Techno warriors(to be honest I’ve never heard of them).Hated the way too much undercranked Legend of the wolf and found Hero to be boring and dull.So Mahjong for me.(didn’t like that much either).I guess this was about the time I began to think Hong Kong had run it’s course in unique action choreography.😞

Death Games slaps yo. Highly recommend. everything except the final battle is good.

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

15 minutes ago, legendarycurry said:

Death Games slaps yo. Highly recommend. everything except the final battle is good.

I've talked about this before, if you consider the fight with Ngai Sing/Collin Chou the finale and the last fight to be a "warming down" fight, it goes down better.

• Like 1

This week, the Honorable Mention for the 17th Annual Hong Kong Film Award goes to Lin Wan-Chang and Allen Lan for The Death Games.

We didn't have a very big turnout last week, so here's hoping more people vote this week.

• Like 1

Okay, for the 18th Annual HK Film Awards, we have the following choices:

Yuen Tak (Enter the Eagles)

Tony Ching Siu-Tung, Xiong Xin Xin (The Black Sheep Affair)

Alan Chui (Leopard Hunting)

Donnie Yen (Ballistic Kiss)

Donnie Yen (Shanghai Affairs) - start at 7:20

• Like 1