Poll - "Honorable Mentions" for the Hong Kong Film Award for Best Action Choreography - 2006

DrNgor

Best Action Choreography - 2006  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Which film would you choose for Best Action Choreography for 2006?

• Nicky Li Chung-Chi (Fatal Contact)
    • Yuen Woo-Ping (The Banquet)
    • Benz Kong (My Kung Fu Sweetheart)
    • Wong Chi-Wai, Ling Chun-Pong (Exiled)
    • Corey Yuen (DOA: Dead or Alive)

20 minutes ago, danthemandmv said:

'' DEADFUL MELODY '' for me , as well ; one of my favorite wire-fu wu xia pian .

My thread elicited a post from the legendary @danthemandmv!

Don't forget to click and submit!

• Like 2

legendarycurry

How long do I have to vote? I have to skim through the Lo rei films fights, Deadful Melody  etc  :)

Only saw Burning Paradise (It didn't have the impact on me as it did so many others) and Wing Chun , Which I am not the biggest fan of . Wing Chun is wholesome to a fault in the fights, everything is so too low stakes for my liking, even if the tofu table  scene is fun.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, legendarycurry said:

How long do I have to vote? I have to skim through the Lo rei films fights, Deadful Melody  etc  :)

Only saw Burning Paradise (It didn't have the impact on me as it did so many others) and Wing Chun , Which I am not the biggest fan of . Wing Chun is wholesome to a fault in the fights, everything is so too low stakes for my liking, even if the tofu table  scene is fun.

You have a week.

• Like 2

ShaOW!linDude

21 Red List definitely. Seen everything else except Burning Paradise, so I can't comment on that, but 21RL has the more grounded action of all the others. No contest/done deal.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, legendarycurry said:

ah got it!

If there's a tie, I let it run until there's a tie-breaking vote. Happened for the 1990 vote, which went two extra days.

• Like 1

Burning Paradise because I just love the film but from what I remember 21 Red List had some good fight scenes and hard falls,not a fan of the others though.

• Like 1

legendarycurry
4 hours ago, DrNgor said:

Bumping thread for more votes.

I just have to find the fights for OUATIC 5. I've rewatched the stuff in Wing Chun, Burning Paradise, alongside every fight in Red List, and I found a video with all of Deadful Melody. Just missing OUATIC 5 sadly. If I can't find it by tomorrow afternoon I'll still vote though.

• Like 2

On 5/11/2023 at 10:40 PM, legendarycurry said:

I just have to find the fights for OUATIC 5. I've rewatched the stuff in Wing Chun, Burning Paradise, alongside every fight in Red List, and I found a video with all of Deadful Melody. Just missing OUATIC 5 sadly. If I can't find it by tomorrow afternoon I'll still vote though.

I had a link to a fight from OUATIC 5 on the previous page. Did you find one yet?

Last call for votes!

Edited by DrNgor
  • Like 1

legendarycurry
1 hour ago, DrNgor said:

I had a link to a fight from OUATIC 5 on the previous page. Did you find one yet?

Last call for votes!

haven't had a chance to check out deadful melody or ouatic yet! But screw it I will vote ,:)

Edited by legendarycurry

And the winners for 1994 are Yuen Woo-Ping, Yuen Shun-Yee and Donnie Yen for Wing Chun.

• Like 1

The massive failure of Tsui Hark's The Blade meant the official end of the wire-fu boom. You can see a return to modern action films in the 15th annual HK Film Awards. I'll follow in suit.

Donnie Yen (Asian Cop - High Voltage)

Sammo Hung's Stuntman Association, Cho Wing (Don't Give a Damn)

Corey Yuen (High Risk)

Alan Chui, Lee Chi-Kit (Tough Beauty and the Sloppy Slop)

Yuen Woo-Ping, Yuen Cheung-Yan, Cho Wing (The Red Wolf)

Edited by DrNgor
  • Like 2

legendarycurry

I ended up voting for Red List. I found the choreography creative and a nice mix between wirework, gunplay, and fisticuff with some brutal swordplay to boot.

My issues with Wing Chun persist, occasionally fun but very often low stakes to a fault.  Several shots also feel like alternate footage from Iron Monkey.

What little I saw from Ouatic 5 did nothing from me.

Burning Paradise has fight scenes that dramatically serve the story well, but they feel very performative, slow and without flair.

Saw very little of Deadful Melody, but it is definitely a film I must see and one I regret not getting on DVD when I had the chance.

For the latest poll I voted for Red Wolf. Nice bootwork from Cho Wing and Ngai Sing, great pyro stuff and some solid alls and stuff. I think it is a solid modern YWP film.

High Risk is not bad but not as good as Red Wolf IMHo.

Everything I have seen from High Voltage is decent, but not a standout

Seen vey little from Sloppy Slop but it looks OK but not great

As much as I love Sammo's work Don't Give A Damn makes me too uncomfortable to acknowledge.

• Like 1

Drunken Monk

I actually went for Tough Beauty and the Sloppy Slop. The fight choreography feels fresh and modern while keeping that classic 80’s kickboxing style.

Hitman would have been my second choice, more than likely. The others I’m only lukewarm on, with Red Wolf probably being my third choice.

• Like 1

ShaOW!linDude

Tough Beauty & the Sloppy Slop for me. I've always liked the Yuen Biao and Cynthia Khan romp.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, sym8 said:

Die Hard on a boat what’s not to like so Red Wolf for me.

This is the same premise that gave us Speed 2: Cruise Control...well, sorta.

• Like 2

legendarycurry
4 minutes ago, DrNgor said:

This is the same premise that gave us Speed 2: Cruise Control...well, sorta.

I think Bobby Samuels said this made more than the original Speed at the HK box-office, and that the Chinese title for Red Wolf is not dissimilar to that of Die Hard ( The later info might have come from a certain person who did commentary tracks for HKL)

• Like 2

20 hours ago, legendarycurry said:

My issues with Wing Chun persist, occasionally fun but very often low stakes to a fault.  Several shots also feel like alternate footage from Iron Monkey.

Heh. Robert Tai apparently accused YWP of copying himself too much.

11 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Hitman would have been my second choice, more than likely.

Did you mean High Risk? That film has some nice fights and great gunplay, but needed more Jet Li hand-to-hand action.

For the latest poll I voted for Red Wolf. Nice bootwork from Cho Wing and Ngai Sing, great pyro stuff and some solid falls and stuff. I think it is a solid modern YWP film.

Yeah, I voted for it for much the same reason. Lots of good fights and a nice, long finale. Not enough good fighting from Elaine Lui, but she has never been sexier.

What little I saw from Ouatic 5 did nothing from me.

The film never did anything for me, but I know there are fans of the fight with the old pirate atop the urns and some of the wire-fu gunplay.

• Like 1

legendarycurry
40 minutes ago, DrNgor said:

Yeah, I voted for it for much the same reason. Lots of good fights and a nice, long finale. Not enough good fighting from Elaine Lui, but she has never been sexier.

Excuse me for oversharing, but in my teens when I watched this (HKL Platinum Edition)  I think Elaine Lui's character was one of the earliest examples of me being very attracted to "the villainous unstable lady that does the bad things in the movie" :D  Seeing her interview on the DVD and discovering what a wonderfully earnest, sweet and kind human she seemed to be really made me appreciate her performance even more.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Drunken Monk
1 hour ago, DrNgor said:

Did you mean High Risk? That film has some nice fights and great gunplay, but needed more Jet Li hand-to-hand action.

Oops! Yup.