Poll - "Honorable Mentions" for the Hong Kong Film Award for Best Action Choreography - 2006

DrNgor

Best Action Choreography - 2006  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Which film would you choose for Best Action Choreography for 2006?

• Nicky Li Chung-Chi (Fatal Contact)
    • Yuen Woo-Ping (The Banquet)
    • Benz Kong (My Kung Fu Sweetheart)
    • Wong Chi-Wai, Ling Chun-Pong (Exiled)
    • Corey Yuen (DOA: Dead or Alive)

This was a hard one. I narrowed it down to She Shoots Straight and Outlaw Brothers, and went with the latter for having less wire assistance.

• Like 1

After two days of tie, Sammo Hung's Stuntman Association, Brandy Yuen, and Siu Tak-Foo pull a reversal of a fortune and win the HK Film Award Honorable Mention for Pantyhose Hero.

• Like 1

The 11th HKFA for Best Action Choreography marked Jet Li's first win and the start of the Yuen Clan getting the respect they deserve. The roster was pretty varied, with only Prison on Fire 2 being a headscratcher among nominees. I think my picks for this year are just as varied and deserving.

Mang Hoi (Gambling Ghost)

Stanley Tong's Stuntman Association (Stone Age Warriors)

Tsui Siu-Ming, Cho Wing (Bury Me High)

Jackie Chan's Stuntman Association (Angry Ranger)

Lung Sang, Fan Chin-Hung (Dreaming the Reality)

• Like 1

Darth Kermit
31 minutes ago, DrNgor said:

with only Prison on Fire 2 being a headscratcher among nominees.

As much as I love Prison on Fire 2 (though not as much as the first) that also confuses me. As far as I remember, there is only a couple short fights before the end, and the end doesn't have much in the way of choreography anyway.

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer
11 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

It’s Angry Ranger for me. Great choreography and fantastic use of environment. Proper brutal stuff.

Seconded!

• Like 1

ShaOW!linDude

I went with Gambling Ghost. But I definitely need to track down Stone Age Warriors, Bury Me High, and Angry Ranger. Looks like lots of good action in those.

• Like 1

And the winner of the "Honorable Mention" for the 11th Annual HK Film Award for Best Action Choreography goes to Jackie Chan's Stuntman Association for Angry Ranger.

• Like 1

By 1992, wire-fu was all the rage and that was reflected in the Best Action Choreography nominations, with the only outlier being Jackie Chan. My picks are generally a little more grounded, but expect more wire-fu nominations in general over the course of the next few weeks.

Siu Tak-Foo (Kickboxer's Tears)

The Martial Guild* (Twin Dragons)

Phillip Kwok (Hard Boiled)

Yuen Tak, Corey Yuen, Lau Kar-Leung (Operation Scorpio)

Tony Ching Siu-Tung, Corey Yuen (The Moon Warriors)

* - The members of the Guild who participated were: Stephen Tung Wai, Tony Leung Siu-Hung,  Yuen Wo-Ping, Tsui Siu-Ming, Chris Lee Kin-Sang and (of course) Jackie Chan

Edited by DrNgor
  • Like 1

Drunken Monk

This is the most bonkers selection of films so far! I’ve been pondering them since you posted.

I’m a kung fu guy at heart. Love my martial arts. But I simply have to give it to Hard Boiled. It features what many would say are the best shootouts of all time. And some say it has the greatest finale ever committed to film. It’s incredible film making.

So while many others scratch that kung fu itch, Hard Boiled reigns supreme.

• Like 1

ChillyChong
4 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

Hard Boiled. It features what many would say are the best shootouts of all time. And some say it has the greatest finale ever committed to film. It’s incredible film making.

Yup. It`s not even badly aged unlike The Killer.

Had to still vote for Operation Scorpio, it`s imo one of greatest kung fu movies ever made outside of Shaw studios.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

I’m a kung fu guy at heart. Love my martial arts. But I simply have to give it to Hard Boiled. It features what many would say are the best shootouts of all time. And some say it has the greatest finale ever committed to film. It’s incredible film making.

So while many others scratch that kung fu itch, Hard Boiled reigns supreme.

Yeah, I'm with you on this one. If there was ever a Bullet Ballet film that really deserved the nomination, and probably even the win, it was this one. The HKFA had their heads up their butts--or up Ching Siu-Tung's butt (he got three nominations)--in not even nominating in this one. 

• Like 1

Drunken Monk
25 minutes ago, ChillyChong said:

Yup. It`s not even badly aged unlike The Killer.

I actually prefer The Killer to Hard Boiled, but that’s just me.

Omni Dragon

I voted for Hard-Boiled. To me at least, it seems almost a shame that neither The Killer nor Hard-Boiled were actually nominated for Best Action in the real HK Film Awards.

• Like 1