Poll - "Honorable Mentions" for the Hong Kong Film Award for Best Action Choreography - 2006

DrNgor

Best Action Choreography - 2006  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Which film would you choose for Best Action Choreography for 2006?

• Nicky Li Chung-Chi (Fatal Contact)
    • Yuen Woo-Ping (The Banquet)
    • Benz Kong (My Kung Fu Sweetheart)
    • Wong Chi-Wai, Ling Chun-Pong (Exiled)
    • Corey Yuen (DOA: Dead or Alive)

There were only three nominations for 1989--a Jackie movie, a Sammo movie and a Yuen Biao movie--so this week we'll do six nominees.

Dick Wei (Dragon Fight)

Yuen Woo-Ping, Yuen Shun-Yee (In the Line of Duty 4)

Mang Hoi, Corey Yuen (Blonde Fury)

Tony Ching Siu-Tung (The Killer)

Frankie Chan (Burning Ambition)

Stanley Tong (Angel III)

• Like 1

Drunken Monk

Plenty of amazing action in this week's poll and I'm finally breaking away from what I'd usually vote for (fast paced kung fu). I'm going for The Killer. This film features my favourite shootout of all time (the finale in the church) and I just feel like the action sequences encapsulates a certain type of rawness.

• Like 2

Darth Kermit

I'm going to agree. The Killer. My favorite director is Woo, and this films is probably his most polished and best written, and the action matches that (though I still prefer Hard Boiled...teehee).

• Like 2

ShaOW!linDude

Burning Ambition - a New Wave actioner with some classic shapes thrown in? Sold!!! I mean...voted!!!

• Like 1

Omni Dragon

I think I might vote for The Killer as well. That's the movie that really made me appreciate gunplay action. Before watching it I was almost exclusively into martial arts action, maybe to the point of an almost prejudice rejection of gunplay.

• Like 2

Burning Ambition for me,the restaurant/car park fight was great and well shot and then you’ve got the shapes in the finale.

• Like 1

Omni Dragon

So far it seems, the silent majority voted for In the Line of Duty 4. It's kind of interesting no one has actually directly mentioned they voted for ITLOD 4, all the mentions so far have been about Burning Ambition and The Killer.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Omni Dragon said:

So far it seems, the silent majority voted for In the Line of Duty 4. It's kind of interesting no one has actually directly mentioned they voted for ITLOD 4, all the mentions so far have been about Burning Ambition and The Killer.

That is an interesting observation. This has really been a neck and neck show!

Edited by DrNgor
  • Like 2

Okay, for the 10th annual HKFA, there were four nominations, 3 of which were for Ching Siu-Tung. That was mightily unfair, so I hope my picks remedy that. Now, there is a point of contention: there were two (or three) good Sammo flicks and two good Joyce Godenzi flicks released in 1990. So, I ended up putting those titles in a hat and drawing one example of each, so as to leave room for others. So please put your pitchforks down, people!

Lau Chi-Ho (Bullet in the Head)

Yuen Shun-Yee, Yuen Cheung-Yan, Phillip Kwok, Donnie Yen (Tiger Cage II)

Sammo Hung's Stuntman Association, Brandy Yuen, Siu Tak-Foo (Pantyhose Hero)

Corey Yuen, Yuen Tak, Mang Hoi (She Shoots Straight)

Yuen Shun-Yee, Fung Hak-On, Cheng Chi-Ho* (The Outlaw Brothers)

* - For a long time, Jackie Chan was listed as one of the action directors. Now he isn't, at least at the HKMDB. What's the deal with that?

• Like 1

Drunken Monk
20 minutes ago, DrNgor said:

* - For a long time, Jackie Chan was listed as one of the action directors. Now he isn't, at least at the HKMDB. What's the deal with that?

He definitely helped...

MV5BODgxOTNlNGUtZTVlYS00MGNiLTljYzktNmY0OWZhOTgxZDVkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTc3MjY3NTY@._V1_.jpg

Edited by Drunken Monk
  • Like 2

Omni Dragon

I'm initially thinking Tiger Cage 2, though I'm also thinking it's the one I've seen the most recently.

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer
53 minutes ago, DrNgor said:

If I recall correctly from the interview with Yukari Oshima on the Hong Kong Legends release of this one, he was onset for a day or so and came up with the idea for her to use the belt as a kind of nunchuck during the finale, but that was the limit of his involvement.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, One Armed Boxer said:

If I recall correctly from the interview with Yukari Oshima on the Hong Kong Legends release of this one, he was onset for a day or so and came up with the idea for her to use the belt as a kind of nunchuck during the finale, but that was the limit of his involvement.

Thanks for the info!

• Like 1

Darth Kermit

Wow, what a great selection this year! I've only seen Tiger Cage II and Bullet in the Head, and while both are incredible, the clips for She Shoots Straight, Outlaw Brothers, and Pantyhose Hero are more impressive in my opinion. Also, Alan Tam throws down? Did not know this. I've only seen him in Ringo Lam's The Other Side of Gentlemen and Armour of God, but those kicks in Pantyhose Hero were quite impressive. Tough pick between those 3 but I'm gonna say Pantyhose Hero. Some great stunts, choreo, and comedy in that clip. She Shoots Straighr had some brutal and awesome kicks though, and Outlaw Brothers looked great as well.

Drunken Monk

For me it was a toss up between She Shoots Straight and Outlaw Brothers. I settled on the latter. That finale and the garage fight are so damn good and I always love Frankie Chan.

• Like 1

ShaOW!linDude

Pantyhose Hero - some brutal stuff in that as far as both stunts and choreography.

• Like 2

All impressive but my vote goes to Pantyhose.Great stunts and choreography and a lot of the cast/stuntmen took some real hits.👍

• Like 1