Poll - "Honorable Mentions" for the Hong Kong Film Award for Best Action Choreography - 2006

DrNgor

Best Action Choreography - 2006  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Which film would you choose for Best Action Choreography for 2006?

• Nicky Li Chung-Chi (Fatal Contact)
    • Yuen Woo-Ping (The Banquet)
    • Benz Kong (My Kung Fu Sweetheart)
    • Wong Chi-Wai, Ling Chun-Pong (Exiled)
    • Corey Yuen (DOA: Dead or Alive)

2 hours ago, TheMuffinMan656 said:

Also, fantastic thread! Giving me tons of suggestions for films I haven't seen, and makes me pick between my favorite of each year (which there are a lot every year in HK's Golden Age of action).

Thank you! Glad you're enjoying it! Please stick with it--I'll be doing this until we reach the present year (it'll take the better part of this year).

Cheers!

• Like 2

Omni Dragon

I probably think The Millionaires' Express as well, though I think I'll vote for A Better Tomorrow since it looks like The Millionaires' Express has already topped the poll.

• Like 1

And the Honorable Mention for Best Action Choreography at the 6th Hong Kong Film Awards goes to Sammo Hung's Stuntman Association for The Millionaire's Express!

• Like 1

For the 7th Hong Kong Film Awards, there were six nominees, including two Jackie films and two Ching Siu-Tung gigs. Nonetheless, the nominees were all very much deserved. Let's take a look at the some of the other good moments in action that year:

Tony Leung Siu-Hung (Angel)

Sammo Hung's Stuntman Association, Stephen Tung Wai (Mr. Vampire Part III)

Blackie Ko (The Legend of Wisely)

Bruce Leung Siu-Lung (Tragic Hero)

Stephen Tung Wai, Fung Hak-On, Benz Kong (Magnificent Warriors)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TheMuffinMan656 said:

Oh man, I haven't seen any of these yet! Will abstain from voting this week.

You can watch the videos and vote on the one you liked the most. This is fun poll and not the Awards themselves.

• Like 1

Drunken Monk

For me it's Magnificent Warriors. I watched it again last week and it has some seriously underrated action in it. Some of the bumps the stuntmen take in this one are brutal. It's got great martial arts, great stunts... I love it. Granted, I haven't seen Mr. Vampire IIITragic Hero or The Legend of Wisely. I'm also trying my best not to watch any footage from the first two because they're due out on Blu Ray soon. So my vote may be skewed.

• Like 1

ShaOW!linDude

Magnificent Warriors for me, too. Michelle Yeoh is so much fun to watch in that flick. The only other nominee I've seen is Iron Angels. Not a huge fan of Chow Yun Fat bullet ballets and never cared to see the Mr Vampire stuff. The Legend of Wisely looks like campy fun.

• Like 1

And the Honorable Mention for Best Action Choreography at the 7th Hong Kong Film Awards goes to Stephen Tung Wai, Benz Kong and Fung Hak-On for Magnificent Warriors!

• Like 1

Despite 1988 being a good year for HK action, only three movies were nominated for the Best Action Choreography Award, two of which starred Jackie Chan. So, we'll do five nominees and I hope we get some decent variety here.

Sammo Hung's Stuntman Association (Paper Marriage)

Yuen Clan, Chris Lee, Tony Leung Siu-Hung (In the Line of Duty III)

Stanley Tong (Angel II)

Lau Kar-Leung (Dragon Family)

Yuen Clan, Donnie Yen, Paul Wong (Tiger Cage)

• Like 1

Drunken Monk

Some great action here but I think Iron Angels 2 takes it. It has everything I want from action choreography and that Moon Lee/Yuen Tak film is an absolute classic.

• Like 1

Some tough choices but I have to go with Paper Marriage.

These bumps, bruises & falls - Sammo put these people & himself thru hell.

• Like 3

ShaOW!linDude

Paper Marriage for me. Really my only qualm with this is Sammo went Chan's route and seemed to prefer doing more stunts and falls than fighting. But there are some harsh falls. I don't know if that was breakaway furniture in the house. Doesn't look like it.

But man, Iron Angels 2 is sweet!!!

• Like 3

Wow, what a great set of clips to watch! Thanks @DrNgor

I gotta go with Paper Marriage though - the sense of urgency and realism of the fights is awesome - and it isn’t overly sped up. 

• Like 2

Alright, we need voters #11, 12 and 13 from the previous weeks (and others, obviously) to chime to avoid a tie. But thanks for the participation so far, everyone!

• Like 1

And the Honorable Mention for Best Action Choreography at the 8th Hong Kong Film Awards goes to Sammo Hung's Stuntman Association for Paper Marriage!

This was a close race with Angel II, but Sammo and co. prevailed in the end for their third win since this poll started.

• Like 1