Poll - "Honorable Mentions" for the Hong Kong Film Award for Best Action Choreography - 2006

DrNgor

Best Action Choreography - 2006  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Which film would you choose for Best Action Choreography for 2006?

• Nicky Li Chung-Chi (Fatal Contact)
    • Yuen Woo-Ping (The Banquet)
    • Benz Kong (My Kung Fu Sweetheart)
    • Wong Chi-Wai, Ling Chun-Pong (Exiled)
    • Corey Yuen (DOA: Dead or Alive)

As much as I want to say Drunken Monkey, the fight choreography is some of Lau Kar Leung's weakest. I like Shanghai Knights but besides the Donnie Yen fight at the end, I tend to think the action sequences are a little too slapsticky.

The Matrix: Reloaded is the obvious choice for me. It's not perfect, especially now that the wirework looks dated, but the hand to hand and weapons stuff is still great.

• Like 1

So for the nominees for 2004, we have two Hollywood films, on PRC film, and two HK films. Let's take a look:

Tony Ching Siu-Tung (House of Flying Daggers)

Ailen Sit (Silver Hawk)

Jackie Chan's Stuntman Association (Around the World in 80 Days)

Dion Lam (Spider-Man 2)

Ma Yuk-Sing (White Dragon)

I love the Spider-Man/Doc Ock fight, but I feel guilty voting for it because it’s 90% CGI.

With that said, House of Flying Daggers takes it for me. Not only is the choreography crisp, but the production design, set design and cinematography is top notch.

It was between around the world and flying daggers for me.Not a fan of Wu xia(although I do like this one)so I chose 80 days.(it’s a guilty pleasure for me)

Around the World in 80 Days for me. That's the closest thing there is to old school choreography. And I really like Jackie's bit with the horse bench.

I turned it over to the Goddess of Chance and the winner went to Jackie Chan's Stuntman Association for Around the World in 80 Days.

Okay, for 2005, we have two Hong Kong films, two US-French co-productions and a South Korean film.

Corey Yuen (The Transporter 2)

Yuen Woo-Ping (Unleashed/Danny the Dog)

Chin Kar-Lok (Dragon Squad)

Ailen Sit (Seoul Raiders)

Ma Yuk-Sing (Shadowless Sword)

As far as inventiveness goes, Shadowless Sword  is up there. So many unique concepts. Unfortunately, it's let down by an overreliance on slow motion and some questionable sot choices.

I forgot just how good the hose fight in The Transporter 2 was. No fucking around. Just good old fashioned, ground fight choreography (for the most part). It's really great.
So then I went and revisited all the fights from The Transporter 2 and Jesus, I need to watch this film again! I loved what I saw. It may very well be peak Jason Statham.

Unleashed will undoubtedly win this poll but I've always felt like there was something wrong with Woo Ping's fight choreography on this one. At times it feels far too...I don't know...rehearsed? Telegraphed? I like it but I don't love it. Especially the swimming pool fight scene.

So, for me, The Transporter 2 takes it.

I'm with @Drunken Monk on this one. Transporter 2 had a lot of solid action and fights throughout. 

The Dragon Squad finale is a little dark, probably to hide Sammo being doubled. The Unleashed clip isn't showing up for me, but I'd rank many of its fights with the Statham movie. I never saw Seoul Raiders but that clip seems a little cheesy, but I did like the kicking combo segment. (Loved Tokyo Raiders). And let's face it: I'm never going to sit through Shadowless Sword. Too hokey for me.

On 9/26/2023 at 2:52 PM, massa_yoda said:

I need to think on this one a bit. @DrNgor remind me to vote in a few days if I haven’t. I need to re-watch unleashed anyways.

Reminded.

Bumping thread for more votes!

• Like 1

Went with Transporter 2. Unleashed is very good, but T2 is so much fun from beginning to end. The action design is excellent. I have some sentimental love for Dragon Squad too, just because I love everything Sammo and I really liked his character here, but as a movie it’s just not on the same level. 

And the winner for Honorable Mention for Best Action Choreography for 2005 is Yuen Woo-Ping for Unleashed!