Poll - "Honorable Mentions" for the Hong Kong Film Award for Best Action Choreography - 2006

DrNgor

Best Action Choreography - 2006  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Which film would you choose for Best Action Choreography for 2006?

• Nicky Li Chung-Chi (Fatal Contact)
    • Yuen Woo-Ping (The Banquet)
    • Benz Kong (My Kung Fu Sweetheart)
    • Wong Chi-Wai, Ling Chun-Pong (Exiled)
    • Corey Yuen (DOA: Dead or Alive)

Slow week...but these things happen. The Honorable Mention at the 20th HK Film Awards in the Best Action Choreography goes to Ma Yuk-Sing for Fist Power!

For 2001, we have some big and small films. Most of them are MA-related, with the exception of Fulltime Killer. Check'em out!

Douglas Kung (Chinese Heroes)

Lin Luen (Sino-Dutch War 1661)

Wong Chi-Wai (Fulltime Killer)

Lam Moon-Wah (Dragon the Master)

Go Shut-Fung, Christopher Chan, Jack Wong (Extreme Challenge)

Drunken Monk

Another mixed bag here and a number of films I’ve never seen. Fulltime Killer has the best LOOKING action simply because it’s so slick and directed so stylishly. Dragon the Master’s fight is amazing but is the rest of the film like that? The fight in the clip is very new school wuxia but the film looks to be set in modern times, so I’m not sure. Extreme Challenge has gray looking action too.

I’m going for aesthetics and coolness here. Fulltime Killer takes it.

1 hour ago, Drunken Monk said:

Another mixed bag here and a number of films I’ve never seen

Yeah, that will be a running theme for the rest of the Poll. 

Do you all think I should see it out to the end?

Drunken Monk
10 hours ago, DrNgor said:

Yeah, that will be a running theme for the rest of the Poll. 

Do you all think I should see it out to the end?

Absolutely! It’s introducing me to so many films!

• Like 1

ShaOW!linDude

Definitely going with Extreme Challenge on this one. As a whole, the movie has some fairly good grounded choreography.

I haven’t seen any of these,I think past 2000 I began to lose interest in what was being released.The heyday had most definitely gone😞

ShaOW!linDude
On 8/8/2023 at 6:27 PM, Drunken Monk said:

Dragon the Master’s fight is amazing but is the rest of the film like that? The fight in the clip is very new school wuxia but the film looks to be set in modern times, so I’m not sure. 

This is actually on Tubi and I watched it last night. Well...maybe "watched" isn't the right word. I ended up ff-ing to the fight scenes. It's a mixed bag. Some grounded choreography mixed with some occasional wuxia wire work maneuvers. The only things I enjoyed about it were 2 fights. Whoever the main character playing the Bruce Lee clone is has a duel with a guy using Drunken Style which is pretty good, and then has the end fight with Billy Chow, which isn't too bad. Still, it's not something I'd revisit.

Okay, putting 2001 out of its misery. Lowest voter turn-out, but okay. The Honorable Mention goes to Wong Chi-Wai for Fulltime Killer.

Okay, for 2002, we have the following films:

Chin Kar-Lok (No Problem 2)

Tony Ching Siu-Tung (Naked Weapon)

Kwok Nga-Cheung (Undiscovered Tomb)

Johnny Cheung, Allen Lan (Flying Dragon, Leaping Tiger)

Lung Sang (Big Boss Untouchable)

Drunken Monk

Personally, I think there's an obvious choice here and it's No Problem 2Naked Weapon is up there but they shoot the action at too much of a distance (to hide doubles, I imagine) and it ends up being obstructed. No Problem 2 is crisp, shot well and features amazing boot work from Won Jin. You can't go wrong.

None of the others come close, in my opinion.

• Like 1

While 2002 is just hanging around (until I can get two corresponding reviews out), I have a question:

2003 is really slim pickens as far as nominee choices go. There are 3 solutions:

1. Fewer nominees to choose from;

2. Any HK/Chinese film with a credited action director;

3. Start including non-Chinese films with Chinese/HK action directors. I realize thus would change the character of the Poll, but maybe more people will vote this way.

What say you?

1 hour ago, DrNgor said:

While 2002 is just hanging around (until I can get two corresponding reviews out), I have a question:

2003 is really slim pickens as far as nominee choices go. There are 3 solutions:

1. Fewer nominees to choose from;

2. Any HK/Chinese film with a credited action director;

3. Start including non-Chinese films with Chinese/HK action directors. I realize thus would change the character of the Poll, but maybe more people will vote this way.

What say you?

I’d go for 3,for me the Hong Kong heyday had well and truly gone by the 2000s and im finding it more difficult to vote because I just haven’t seen the movies.

Edited by sym8

And the winner is Chin Kar-Lok for No Problem 2. He may not get his due recognition from the HKFA, Chin Sifu gets it at the KFF.

Lau Kar-Leung (Drunken Monkey)

Stephen Tung Wai (Warriors of Heaven and Earth)

Jackie Chan's Stuntman Association (Shanghai Knights)

Yuen Woo-Ping (The Matrix Reloaded)

Yuen Woo-Ping (Kill Bill Vol. 1)

Yuen Bun, Kim Wong-Jin (Sword in the Moon)

ShaOW!linDude

Oh, that's a hard call between The Matrix: Reloaded and Shanghai Knights, but I had to go with TM:R. Really enjoy the weapons play in that.