Poll - "Honorable Mentions" for the Hong Kong Film Award for Best Action Choreography - 2006

DrNgor

Best Action Choreography - 2006  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Which film would you choose for Best Action Choreography for 2006?

• Nicky Li Chung-Chi (Fatal Contact)
    • Yuen Woo-Ping (The Banquet)
    • Benz Kong (My Kung Fu Sweetheart)
    • Wong Chi-Wai, Ling Chun-Pong (Exiled)
    • Corey Yuen (DOA: Dead or Alive)

Okay, for this new poll, I'll be going over the various films that got passed over for nominations for the HKFA for Best Action Choreography. You can consider the winner of the poll to be the "Honorable Mention" (or the "I would have switched X movie for this one"). We'll start with movies made in 1982 and go from there.

OBS: Don't be afraid to vote if you haven't seen all the movies on the list. I'm pretty sure that the judges of the Oscars haven't seen all the movies they vote for! (Rimshot!)

For reference:

Edited by DrNgor
  • Like 3

This one was tough! I was stuck between the Yuen Clan and Chu Ko and Ricky Cheng. Both teams created INCREDIBLE action. But Five Element Ninjas took it for me because it feels more original. It's not just old school shapes. There are weapons, there's wire work, ultra violence etc. It just feels more well rounded. The Yuen Clan are a close second though!

• Like 1

I'm among those who haven't seen all the films on the list, but your post made me change my mind and vote anyway. Something I always avoided in your classic fight scenes poll when a movie I haven't seen was selected for voting. 

I'm sure that on repeated viewing I'll appreciate Legend of a Fighter much more, but for now my vote goes to Five Element Ninjas. I'll have to rewatch that one as well since I wasn't aware Tai worked on the choreo only uncredited.

• Like 1

Legend of a fighter for me,loved Five Elements but I’ve always preferred hand to hand and foot combat over weapons but it was a close call

• Like 1

And for the 2nd Annual Hong Kong Film Awards (as judged by the KFF), the Honorable Mention (or seventh nominee) goes to Chu Ko, Ricky Cheng and an uncredited Robert Tai for Five Element Ninjas!

• Like 2

For week 2, we'll be doing movies from 1983. The choices:

Yuen Clan (Shaolin Drunkard)

Lau Kar-Leung (Shaolin and Wu Tang)

Yuen Tak, Poon Kin-Kwan, Choi Chung-Hing (The Lady Assassin)

Tong Kai, Huang Pei-Chih, Yuen Wah, Yuen Bun, Kong Chuen, Lee Hoi-Sang (Shaolin Intruders)

Wang Jin-Bao (Yao's Young Warriors)

Edited by DrNgor
  • Like 1

So, the honorable mention for Best Action Choreography at the 3rd HK Film Awards goes to Tong Kai, Huang Pei-Chih, Yuen Wah, Yuen Bun, Kong Chuen, and Lee Hoi-Sang for Shaolin Intruders!

• Like 1

Alright, this week, our choices for Honorable Mention at the 4th annual HKFA are:

Yeung Wah, Brand Yuan Bo-Nan (The South Shaolin Master)

Hu Jian-Qiang (Kids from Shaolin)*

Tong Kai, Yuen Bun, Yuen Wah, Lee Hoi-Sang, Huang Pei-Chih. Kong Chuen (Opium and the Kung Fu Master)

The Yuen Clan (Drunken Tai Chi)

Ricky Cheng Tien-Chi, Huang Kuo-Chu, Chiang Sheng, Lu Feng (The Shanghai 13)**

* - Although neither Douban nor the HKMDB list an action director, his name shows up on the IMDB.

** - Generally, Taiwanese movies aren't nominated for these awards. But I thought Shanghai 13 was a special case, so I included it this time.

• Like 1

For me, I had to flip a coin to determine whether it would be Shanghai 13 or Opium and the Kung Fu Master. I settled on the latter. One of the things that stands out to me about Opium... is that final fight. Chen Kuan Tai's weapons are so clunky and yet the action team make them look incredible. That takes some serious talent.

I love The South Shaolin Master too but Wushu style choreography will always play second fiddle to the Hong Kong and Taiwanese styles, for me.

• Like 1

ShaOW!linDude

Shanghai 13 for me - just a lot of solid action pieces in there as a whole, and it's a good movie. Otherwise, I'd have gone with Drunken Tai Chi.

• Like 3