Death Duel...

Guest stormybman

Guest stormybman

Anyone see this electrifying performance by David Chiang's

lil' bro, Derek Yee? I thought this film was pretty cool, even going as far as to cross over characters from other Chor Yuen films such as Magic Blade, Killer Clans, and a few others.

The special effects, sharp wit by the main character, and supporting cast make this one of the more "entertaining" Wu Xia films from the era. (Note: if you've watched many of Chor's

films, you'll notice various character's cameos from other Wu Xia epics, especially when the hero comes across a new territorial setting...)

"Whenever you're ready, I'll take on any Japanese here."

Yep, Death Duel is a very solid movie. I just watched Sentimental Swordsman the other night, and Killer Clans is one of my favorites. Chor Yuen definitely made some fine swordplay films during that era, with nice production values and stories, and lots of great-looking action.

"electrifying performance by David Chiang's

lil' bro, Derek Yee?"

Tung Sheng has never been electrifying in his life. He was a block of wood. This movie along w/Magic Blade are my fav Chor Yuen movies but...electrifying?

LOVE this film!

A TRUE classic!! :D

When Ti Lung appears it was like, Whoa!!!! :eek

Forgive my ignorance, but where is Lo Lieh's character from?? Was he in another movie??

:o

Guest stormybman

Electrifying may have been a little enthusiastic, however, he did give a decent performance here, and he did have the "silent" hero disposition on screen down pat. Chi Kuai Chun was no better as far as charisma, Derek Yee was quite good at it. (If he were not, Shaws wouldn't have given him so many roles...)

Although opinions vary, people like what they like... :D

"Whenever you're ready, I'll take on any Japanese here."

Thank you, BKarza - I've only just received my copy of Killer Clans so I'll check ol' Lo in it, asap!!

I wish I could recall the recent UK doc that had Derek Yee in it - he basically renounced most his career, including his SB work.

For me, he was never better than in DD - his face at the end when the villain gets his "answer" - great!! :D

Guest VonHumboldtFleischer

I like this movie a lot, but I don't find Derek Yee all that impressive in it. He's supposed to be a world-weary swordsman, but he comes across as merely sulky and petulant. You get the impression all he wants to do is lie in his bedroom and listen to Morrissey in the dark.

I did enjoy ONE NIGHT IN MONGKOK enormously, though. DRINK DRANK DRUNK - not so much.

Guest Iron Boat

Well actually it is hard to come up with a more wooden actor than Derek Yee, but Death Duel still ranks as one of my favorite Chor Yuen films because of the great character played by Ling Yun, I would of rather seen Ti Lung in the part of third master.

masterofoneinchpunch

Spoiler question:

The ending hinges on who is the number 1 swordsman. However, both the Third Master and Yen Shih-san get beat by an insane, but excellent fighter in David Chiang's character. Shouldn't Chiang's character be considered the number 1 fighter then in the jiang hu?

• Like 1

Iron_Leopard

Great movie but his brother David stole the movie from him and he was only in it for 5 minutes lol.

• Like 3

On 6/9/2020 at 10:25 PM, Iron_Leopard said:

Great movie but his brother David stole the movie from him and he was only in it for 5 minutes lol.

David Chiang definitely left an impression once the movie was over, especially considering he was only in the movie for a few minutes!

• Like 3