Michelle Yeoh

Shaolin Patriot

ShaOW!linDude
17 hours ago, DrNgor said:

How do we not have a Michelle Yeoh thread in the Actors and Actresses section?

I lay the full blame completely at the feet of @AlbertV for this. It is entirely his fault. He is such a slacker. 

(Mind you, I am, of course, being totally facetious with that accusation.)

• Like 2

One of my favorite interviews with her is from Toby Russell's Top Fighter 2 documentary circa 1996. She presents herself with so much charisma and confidence and looks absolutely stunning in their super-relaxed discussion. 

Edited by Gaijin84
  • Like 2

Michelle Yeoh Honored as Time's "Icon of the Year" - Black Belt Magazine

Born on August 6, 1962 in Ipoh, Malaysia, Michelle Yeoh got her start ballet at the age of 4 and moved to the UK with her parents at the age of 15. She received a BA degree in creative arts with a minor in drama in 1982 from the Royal Academy of Dance. A year later, she won the Miss Malaysia World Contest and placed 18th at the annual Miss World competition. When she appeared in a commercial with Jackie Chan, she got the attention of Dickson Poon, who was the founder of D&B Films. She appeared in a few films in small roles before breaking out in Yes, Madam! opposite Cynthia Rothrock. She would eventually marry Dickson Poon and after appearing in 1987's Magnificent Warriors, retired from the industry....but it was a brief one.

In 1992, after her divorce from Poon, Yeoh was contacted by Jackie Chan and Stanley Tong to star in Police Story III: Supercop, in which she played Inspector Yang of the Mainland Police. For the first time in his career, Jackie let a female go nearly toe to toe with him in terms of stunts. Michelle even performed a dangerous bike stunt onboard a train after the stunt double broke his leg in his attempt to do the stunt. This role would make Yeoh a bonafide star and she would even reprise the role in a spinoff, Project S released in the States as Supercop 2.

Since then, Yeoh has been keeping busy with her work in films, even seriously injuring herself in Ah Kam. She has done both action and non-action roles in Hong Kong, China, and the United States and the hard work has paid off. Receiving the Golden Globe for Best lead Actress in Everything Everywhere All at Once, she is poised to receive the Oscar. 

She even sang the theme song to her 1993 film Butterfly and Sword, "Love is Like a Shooting Star"

• Like 4

On 2/3/2023 at 4:08 AM, ShaOW!linDude said:

I lay the full blame completely at the feet of @AlbertV for this. It is entirely his fault. He is such a slacker. 

(Mind you, I am, of course, being totally facetious with that accusation.)

Buahahahah!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Michelle Yeoh is brilliant, and it sure feels great to finally see her receive the attention and recognition she deserves.

Unfortunately, the media always does this, where it's literally 'everything everywhere at once' to the point you nearly OD on the person, and they act as if they've always given them the same love and attention (right...).

• Like 2

Entertainment Weekly publishes an article ranking Michelle's best films. These articles generally exist to make me want to face-kick the author, mainly because they tend to put undue emphasis on the more recent examples of whatever it is they're ranking. They're also notorious for doing all sorts of unconvincing mental gymnastics in order to include certain films on the list.

I'll spoil it for you all:

1. Everything Everywhere All at Once
2. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
3. Police Story III: Supercop
4. Crazy Rich Asians
5. Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
6. Tomorrow Never Dies
7. Sunlight
8. Kung Fu Panda 2
9. The Lady 
10. Yes Madam
11. Master Z: Ip Man Legacy
12. Far North
13. Gunpowder Milkshake
14. Heroic Trio
15. Boss Level

• Like 3
  • Angry 1

6 minutes ago, masterofoneinchpunch said:

I'm just not a fan of the Everything Everywhere All at Once movie.

And that's fine. There are a couple of members here who are in the same boat. But given its accolades, I can understand someone putting it at the top of the list. But outright admitting that you think a movie is a weak or a role is under-written and still putting it in the Top 5 or 6 is just bad writing and critiquing.

• Like 2

masterofoneinchpunch
5 minutes ago, DrNgor said:

And that's fine. There are a couple of members here who are in the same boat. But given its accolades, I can understand someone putting it at the top of the list. But outright admitting that you think a movie is a weak or a role is under-written and still putting it in the Top 5 or 6 is just bad writing and critiquing.

I tend to dislike having lists with the latest as the greatest. They have not passed that important facet of time. I can understand putting it on top -- but that is because of the recency effect.  I think her performance is fine, though I have more issues with the film itself.  I just cannot see Crazy Rich Asians  or Shang Chi as one of her better roles.  The Soong Sisters would be in my top performances of hers.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, masterofoneinchpunch said:

I tend to dislike having lists with the latest as the greatest. They have not passed that important facet of time. I can understand putting it on top -- but that is because of the recency effect. 

I'm with you on this. The lists *can* be interesting, but are far from *trustworthy* unless it's from an obvious fan/expert of the material, like your "So You Want to Be an Asian Film Buff" List.

• Like 3

masterofoneinchpunch
3 minutes ago, DrNgor said:

I'm with you on this. The lists *can* be interesting, but are far from *trustworthy* unless it's from an obvious fan/expert of the material, like your "So You Want to Be an Asian Film Buff" List.

Ha thank!

Also seems weird not having Ah Kam on there.  Not weird is The Owl vs. Bombo.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, masterofoneinchpunch said:

Also seems weird not having Ah Kam on there.  Not weird is The Owl vs. Bombo.

And then there's Easy Money, which always seems to slip through the cracks whenever people discuss her career.

• Like 4

masterofoneinchpunch
1 minute ago, DrNgor said:

And then there's Easy Money, which always seems to slip through the cracks whenever people discuss her career.

I still need to see that one (there are plenty of her films I still need to see -- especially non-action). Her 1990s reign is awesome (after that marriage).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, masterofoneinchpunch said:

I still need to see that one (there are plenty of her films I still need to see -- especially non-action).

Movies of hers I haven't seen:

Owl vs. Bumbo
Easy Money
Shaolin Popey 2: Messy Temple
Ah Kam
Soong Sisters
Moonlight Express
Memoirs of a Geisha
Fearless (director's cut)
Far North
Children of Huang Shi (in the collection)
Kung Fu Panda 2
The Lady
Final Recipe
Mechanic: Resurrection
Morgan
Crazy Rich Asians
Last Christmas
Boss Level
Gunpowder Milkshake
Shang Chi
Minions: Rise of Gru
Paws of Fury
The School for Good and Evil
(her collected TV career)

• Like 3

masterofoneinchpunch
6 minutes ago, DrNgor said:

Movies of hers I haven't seen:

Owl vs. Bumbo
Easy Money
Shaolin Popey 2: Messy Temple
Ah Kam
Soong Sisters
Moonlight Express
Memoirs of a Geisha
Fearless (director's cut)
Far North
Children of Huang Shi (in the collection)
Kung Fu Panda 2
The Lady
Final Recipe
Mechanic: Resurrection
Morgan
Crazy Rich Asians
Last Christmas
Boss Level
Gunpowder Milkshake
Shang Chi
Minions: Rise of Gru
Paws of Fury