Was a CAT III movie based on this story?

Yihetuan

Question

8 answers to this question

While not this story, In the Line of Duty VII: Sea Wolves (1991) had a story about pirates slaughtering Vietnamese refugees on boats

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer

Hmmm, not sure if that specific incident was made into a movie. Obviously the subject matter involving Mainlanders massacring Hong Kong citizens rules it out being made in the last 15 years, and in the early 2000's the Cat III shocker was long gone (ok, maybe not completely, but based on the output of the time it might as well have been).

It's not Cat III, but is it possible you're thinking of 2016's 'Operation Mekong', which was based on the massacre of 13 Chinese nationals on a boat in the Mekong by a local drug lord from the Golden Triangle?

• Like 2

One Armed Boxer
2 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

I guess it's not PC anymore for HK to show Mainlanders, Taiwanese and Vietnamese as the bad guys and criminals like they did back in the hey dey.

Ha ha, indeed, the only way to do it is to make them Japanese! It may be a cop out, but if it means we can still get movies like Soi Cheang's 'Limbo', then so be it.

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer
19 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

I didn't particularly care for it but perhaps, you reviewed that title for CoF?

I didn't, one of those titles that got away!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Hmmm, not sure if that specific incident was made into a movie. Obviously the subject matter involving Mainlanders massacring Hong Kong citizens rules it out being made in the last 15 years, and in the early 2000's the Cat III shocker was long gone (ok, maybe not completely, but based on the output of the time it might as well have been).

It's not Cat III, but is it possible you're thinking of 2016's 'Operation Mekong', which was based on the massacre of 13 Chinese nationals on a boat in the Mekong by a local drug lord from the Golden Triangle?

You're right, the time frame was completely off for Cat 3. I was thinking Otto Chan or someone like that made a quickie about pirates slaughtering passengers or crew but guess I was wrong. I guess it's not PC anymore for HK to show Mainlanders, Taiwanese and Vietnamese as the bad guys and criminals like they did back in the hey dey.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Ha ha, indeed, the only way to do it is to make them Japanese! It may be a cop out, but if it means we can still get movies like Soi Cheang's 'Limbo', then so be it.

A bit OT but since you mentioned Soi Cheang's Limbo, yeah that was one of my favorite films of a couple years ago. It was based on a work by Chinese author, Lei Mi. He's a criminal psychologist and professor at some University and he put out a series of books based on a profiler named Fang Mu which are excellent and I heartily recommend. There were 4 books in the series but I believe 3 got translated into English and put in a series called Eastern Crimes. I have two, Blade of Silence & Skinner's Box. They are a bit hard to find now since I think they've gone OOP. I even saw a movie called The Liquidator that featured the main character of Fang Mu and was based on Mi's CIiy Lights book. It came out in 2017 & starred Ethan Juan. I didn't particularly care for it but perhaps, you reviewed that title for CoF?

• Like 1