Death Promise (1977)

HyperDrive

HyperDrive

Death Promise aka Slumfighter. A late 70's/early 80's movie where a guy fights evil landlords. It has one of the best cheesy quotes: "Help! Help! They are putting rats in the building!"

Death-Promise-white.jpg.b992b542e6f2d12307d64ed2dd22eddb.jpg

Hanshi Charles Bonet, Bill Louie, and Speedy Leacock take on slum lords in New York City to avenge Bonet's father. The fights were more reminiscent of Kill or be Killed but for an indie cult film, I enjoyed it. Full review here

• Like 2

Martial arts expert Charles Bonet and his best pal Speedy Leacock live in a slum apartment block where Charle's tough ex boxer dad is the unofficial lead citizen. A group of 5 businessmen including a judge and a pimp want their hands on the block and the tenants out, to drive them out they infest the building with rats etc.. from there things develop into a revenge flick but despite the low budget, guerilla filmmaking on the streets of NYC ,dodgy acting i thought this was great. We also get a fresh faced Bill Louie showing off his moves. a cult classic RIP Latin Panther.

• Like 7

One Armed Boxer

I recently got through watching this thanks to the Vinegar Syndrome Blu-ray, and enjoyed the hybrid of gritty 70's New York mixed with kung-fu (usually accompanied by gratuitous yelling). I gave it the full review treatment over at COF - 

https://cityonfire.com/death-promise-1977-review-slum-fighter-slumfighter/

• Like 5
  • Buddha Bless You 1

• Administrator
16 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

I recently got through watching this thanks to the Vinegar Syndrome Blu-ray, and enjoyed the hybrid of gritty 70's New York mixed with kung-fu (usually accompanied by gratuitous yelling). I gave it the full review treatment over at COF - 

I picked up the VS release too, but haven't opened it yet. I haven't seen this since VHS, so it'll be nice to revisit it and see it all cleaned up and in it's proper aspect ratio. @One Armed Boxer your review definitely pushed it higher up in the to-watch pile.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

This has to be the best thing I ever saw in a review:
"his almost constant battle cries sound akin to something like a 90-year-old woman being strangled, and are only offset by his crisply executed speed and power." 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3