Iron Bodyguard and Kuei Chih-Hung

BornToDefense

Question

BornToDefense

I recently got a copy of Kuei Chih-Hung: Rebel in the System (very interesting book) and I was somewhat perplexed by a quote from producer Chua Lam that Kuei had been a member of Chang Cheh's camp and "directed several of his films." The only collaboration between them I know of is The Delinquent, which was obviously mostly Kuei's work, and Chang Cheh doesn't attest to any other collaborations in his book. But looking at the March 1973 Southern Screen spread on Iron Bodyguard, it says the film is "jointly directed by Chang Cheh and Kuei Chin-hung" and makes no mention (in the English parts at least) of Pao Hsueh-li's involvement, but the December 1972 issue mentions Pao with no reference to Kuei. Only Chang and Pao are credited on the final film.

I'm wondering if anyone here more versed in Shaw Bros. history (or with a big magazine collection) knows anything about whether Kuei Chih-Hung directed any of this movie, or was involved in any other movie in Chang Cheh's catalog aside from (potentially) this and The Delinquent. I imagine the articles go into more detail but I can't read them unfortunately.

• Like 2

8 answers to this question

BornToDefense

Finally got around to watching the Chiang Tao interview from the Shawscope box and he talks a little about this movie. IIRC he implied that Pao Hsueh-Li was the on set/executive director for this one, but also notes that the movie took around a year to complete and that he wasn't aware of that at the time he was shooting his parts. He doesn't make any mention of Kuei Chih-Hung being involved, only Pao directing and Chang Cheh supervising.

He, Chen Kuan-Tai and Chua Lam have all mentioned that Kuei was at least briefly one of Chang "group" before he made The Tea House. Chua Lam said that Kuei and Chang didn't really get along (not surprising as I can't imagine a director like Kuei being content with working under someone else like that).

John Woo and Chaing Tao both have said that on movies that Chang co-directed or farmed out to others, he would be the one to watch the rushes shot by the other directors, and that he had the power to order reshoots and sometimes did (Woo once said something to the effect that part of why he left Shaws was he was tired of being the bearer of bad news). I wonder if Kuei got kicked off this one and replaced with Pao?

Sorry, I know this is baseless theorizing at this point, but I'm becoming more curious about what happened during the production of this movie.

• Like 5

BornToDefense

Having gone further down this dumb rabbit hole I'm starting to think Kuei may have actually done uncredited work on this movie (whether it was used in the final cut is another issue). The issue of Southern Screen that credits him in the English text also mentions him twice in the Chinese text, so this isn't a stray typo. And the coverage of The Pirate (another film I'm starting to think Chang Cheh may have only produced/supervised) mostly credits Pao Hsueh-Li as joint director, except for one or two issues that credit Wu Ma instead, but they're never mentioned together. Thinking that the executive directors on these may have been shuffled around sometimes? Idk.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2023 at 10:47 AM, BornToDefense said:

Finally got around to watching the Chiang Tao interview from the Shawscope box and he talks a little about this movie. IIRC he implied that Pao Hsueh-Li was the on set/executive director for this one, but also notes that the movie took around a year to complete and that he wasn't aware of that at the time he was shooting his parts. He doesn't make any mention of Kuei Chih-Hung being involved, only Pao directing and Chang Cheh supervising.

He, Chen Kuan-Tai and Chua Lam have all mentioned that Kuei was at least briefly one of Chang "group" before he made The Tea House. Chua Lam said that Kuei and Chang didn't really get along (not surprising as I can't imagine a director like Kuei being content with working under someone else like that).

John Woo and Chaing Tao both have said that on movies that Chang co-directed or farmed out to others, he would be the one to watch the rushes shot by the other directors, and that he had the power to order reshoots and sometimes did (Woo once said something to the effect that part of why he left Shaws was he was tired of being the bearer of bad news). I wonder if Kuei got kicked off this one and replaced with Pao?

Sorry, I know this is baseless theorizing at this point, but I'm becoming more curious about what happened during the production of this movie.

Chiang Tao turned 81 today. I remember Michael Worth mentioned he went to interview Bruce Le for this Bruceploitation documentary and ran into Chiang Tao who was just there on the set helping out the crew and stuff basically acting as a gopher. Worth said that Chiang Tao was so happy that someone recognized him and his films and he seems like an all around nice dude.

352220815_6312427102148845_4101928127362842469_n.jpg

• Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 2

Chu Liu Hsiang

I always imagine that the actors mostly cast as atrocious villains are the utmost friendly wonderful ppl IRL. I got no database for this I just like the idea, and who knows ... :) Anyways, an especially happy birthday, Chiang Tao!

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

I always imagine that the actors mostly cast as atrocious villains are the utmost friendly wonderful ppl IRL. I got no database for this I just like the idea, and who knows ... :) Anyways, an especially happy birthday, Chiang Tao!

Just from hearing personal anecdotes over the years from various people that have worked in the industry, I would say that is pretty much the case. You hear how actors typecast as villains such as Shing Fui-on, Miao Tien & Shum Wai were all nice guys IRL

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

On 6/19/2023 at 12:17 PM, Yihetuan said:

Just from hearing personal anecdotes over the years from various people that have worked in the industry, I would say that is pretty much the case. You hear how actors typecast as villains such as Shing Fui-on, Miao Tien & Shum Wai were all nice guys IRL

I remember when Toru Tanaka died, there were remarks about how affectionate of a family man he was. Jeff Speakman had positive things to say about him, too.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, DrNgor said:

I remember when Toru Tanaka died, there were remarks about how affectionate of a family man he was. Jeff Speakman had positive things to say about him, too.

Yeah I heard the same things about Charles Kelani. His wife said he was just a big teddy bear IRL. If course his wife is biased but I believe it from other anecdotes about him inside and outside the ring.

• Like 2