Donnie Yen plans to reduce movie roles in favor of BTS work

DiP

A sad day, but an inevitable one. Hopefully he'll be able to find some new talent that can show off his style of action to the extent it deserves.

• Like 2

Makes total sense to me. And might just be the right time as well before overstaying his welcome in front of the camera. Lord knows plenty of hailed action stars end up in one turkey after another once they reached the peak of their success.

However, my biggest question is who could possibly fill this gap in front of the camera? Not a single name or talent comes to mind. That what really worries me the most. And I'm talking about a fresh young talent not the guys who've been around at least two decades already.

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

18 hours ago, laagi said:

However, my biggest question is who could possibly fill this gap in front of the camera? Not a single name or talent comes to mind. That what really worries me the most. And I'm talking about a fresh young talent not the guys who've been around at least two decades already.

Time will tell. New action performers usually don't get any attention unless they play certain roles that requires them to stretch their acting skills, and improve from there. Every action performer starts out bad due to inexperience. Which leads me to those talent that are more experienced but are in their 40s or pushing their 50s already. Max Zhang is the only one that pops up in my mind. His recent output have not been hyped nor well-received. But he's still someone that has got chances to break out. He's got great onscreen presence, can act decently, and looks explosive in action scenes.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, DiP said:

Time will tell. New action performers usually don't get any attention unless they play certain roles that requires them to stretch their acting skills, and improve from there. Every action performer starts out bad due to inexperience. Which leads me to those talent that are more exoerienced but are in their 40s or pushing their 50s already. Max Zhang is the only one that pops up in my mind. His recent output have not been hyped nor well-received. But he's still someone that has got chances to break out. He's got great onscreen presence, can act decently, and looks explosive in action scenes.

Max Zhang ha(d)s a lot of potential but somehow keeps getting stuck in these terrible productions. I was one of those guys who for a while thought that maybe Wu Jing will eventually close the gap all the great stars of the 80's, 90's left. But he's already closing in on 50. Further more he seems pretty content with where he's at right now. So I doubt he'd be willing to push his career focus on martial arts cinema again.

I could pretty much copy paste the above for almost every martial arts star right now. Tony Jaa, Iko Uwais, Joe Taslim, Scott Adkins... they're all not getting any younger.

Maybe Andrew Koji can have his big break before hitting 40!? Warrior is probably the best testament to his ability not only as a martial artist but also and actor. As well as some of supporting roles in the unfortunately terrible Snake Eyes: G.I. Joe Origins and the wildly entertaining Bullet Train. So who knows what the future holds for him.

Edited by laagi
  • Like 2

One Armed Boxer

"I am not taking a negative approach to talk about COME BACK HOME, but the audience doesn't like my dramatic performance. They like to watch action films that I fight very strongly in. I can completely accept that, I don't have any reason to deliberately keep that from the audience."

Good to see Donnie has a keen sense of self-awareness these days. :tongueout

• Like 2

TibetanWhiteCrane
50 minutes ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Yeah, only took about 60 years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

I guess that's one way to dodge a bullet after serving us with a turkey.

Edited by laagi
  • Haha 2

Donnie has had a good run taking on different roles outside his comfort zone to stretch his acting skills, and doesn't need to prove audiences anymore. But we all are watching his movies for one sole reason: His MA talents. Really glad he came back to his senses, and knows his marketable stance in the film industry. Hopefully, he'll showcase his skills for more years to come before his physicality declines.

• Like 1