Seven Man Army monument

teako170

Seven Man Army 八道樓子 fans ... this post is for you! I discovered this place several years back during my book research. In 1963, the Republic of China Armed Forces honored the seven fallen soldiers from the 1st squad, regiment 145 from the 25th division in Gubeikou, Peking in 1933 with the building of the Bada Tower 八達樓子.

The seven patriots held back thousands from the Imperial Japanese Army during the Second Sino-Japanese War and were immortalized in the 1976 Chang Cheh film. Featuring a stellar cast of David Chiang Da-Wei, Ti Lung, Alexander Fu Sheng, Chen Kuan-Tai, Li Yi-Min, Chi Kuan-Chun, Gordon Liu, Johnny Wang Lung-wei, and more, this film is steeped in history and is a must-see.

The motivational slogans on the walls surrounding the tower read: "Fight Independently," "Persevere," "Survive Death," etc.

Bada Tower is located in Little Kinmen which is technically Taiwan but not the "big island." Kinmen is one of those outer islands claimed by the ROC, less than 10 miles from the mainland, in which you can see the city of Xiamen. Love to visit this place someday if I'm ever in that part of the world again. Here's the exact location:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bada+Tower/@24.429958,118.245747,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x5a40417d4dc9b2c1!8m2!3d24.429958!4d118.245747

bada0.jpg

bada1.jpg

bada2.jpg

bada3.jpg

bada4.jpg

bada5.jpg

bada6.jpg

bada7.jpg

bada8.jpg

bada9.jpg

Image22.jpg

Edited by teako170
  • Like 8
  • Buddha Bless You 2

I will add this to my growing list of places to visit in the area.

Sun Moon Lake, Yu Shan (Jade Mountain), Aliskan, Taroko, Tainan & Lukang are already at the top of my list.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

I didn't know that it was a true story.

Yes, I go into some detail of it in my book on Alex. i truly could have written a whole chapter or more on just this one film.  The research was fascinating and I spent a lot of time reading about the battles and those involved.

• Like 4