Kid with the golden arm... A big let down

Guest The Amazing Psychoper

you people are putting way too much thought into this movie. Who in here watched if to for the fights and fake blood?:lol
I obviously agree that deep, fully-rounded characters are not a prerequisite for an entertaining kung fu movie. (because lets face it, there aren't many) By the same token, I'm not going to proclaim Hai To and Golden Arm as deep, fully rounded characters just because I have a man crush on the Venoms.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest monk sante

My 2 Cents...................I loved this movie as a youngster and still love it today. This movie delivers everything we expect from the Venoms.:D

you people are putting way too much thought into this movie. Who in here watched if to for the fights and fake blood?

Don't forget the costumes. The *costumes*!

Anyway - as far as I'm concerned, characters are key. The kung-fu ass-kicking is "just" an extremely good-looking way of confrontation that in itself IMHO cannot make a movie work. There's got to be some kind of relevance and importance as to who's kicking whose ass.

On the other hand - characters need not be complex to be relevant...;-)

KWTGA characters are OK. Intriguing enough to fuel my interest in those well-choreographed fights and fake blood, so to speak. Like - poor Li Chin Ming, what a jackass but looked so good in white - so much for the complexity...;-]

Guest justkungfuman

Different strokes for different folks. For me I enjoyed all the Venom flicks. These movies gave me something to look forward to back in the early to mid 70's.

My Top 10 in NO certain order;

Five Deadly Venom's

Invincible Shaolin

Magnificent Ruffians

Crippled Avengers

Flag Of Iron

House of Traps

Masked Avengers

Kid with the Golden Arm

Two Champions of Shaolin

Shaolin Daredevils

These movies in the 70's made it look more real and fun compared to the movies we see today.. They did not have the special effects they have today and still made it look good. Imagine what these movies would look like today with all the advances in video. I for one enjoyed them all.....

kid with golden arm IS teh shit!and this is one of rare movies where bad guy(he is that IMO) wins(kwok chui used tricks to defeat wang lung wei and lo meng)...one of most memorable moments in movie history is where blinded lo meng says gonna live rest of life blind and in peace...however that life ended up shortly.

edit;story is not strongest but at least it is far better than your average student avenges death of teacher.

I agree with Iron Jinon, i love most venoms films, i havent seen one that has made me dissapointed apart from Life Gamble which isn't even a real venom movie. The only problem for me with KWTGA is the bit with two Sun Chien's i didn't get that. The kick fight between Kwok Choi and Sun Chien is awesome!

ending made me bit confused too 1st time I saw it...pity about Kid,he got blinded by kwok,helped to defeat sun Iron Feet chien and reward to that was sword to back...I dun recall movie immediately where so-called villain got treated that bad way

another scene where lo meng tells to dying brasshead"you will be avenged" is quality stuff...as mentioned million times before,for each his own..but I dun get how someone who thinks himself as chang cheh and particularly venoms freak just do not love this one.

I might stop replying to this thread as getting kinda upset now...lo mengs character sbows lot more guts than so called hero in same movie..he kills wei pai but gives him chance to life but fool does not accept it.

KWTGA is a charming movie... It has this rather profound "comic-book"-ish feel to it that I like quite a lot... I think it's the most colourful and playful Venom movie I've seen... Not my fave (5DV holds that position) but still kind of special...:-)

Killer Meteor

I enjoy this film for its comic book ambience and video game like fun. I often prefer Chang Cheh when he's indulging in OTT wackiness.

blue_skies

To be perfectly honest I found it a big letdown when I watched it also. Much like the original poster of this thread, I was distinctly unimpressed by the fight choreography compared to the venoms other movies which I had slowly been going through for the first time.

Killer Meteor
To be perfectly honest I found it a big letdown when I watched it also. Much like the original poster of this thread, I was distinctly unimpressed by the fight choreography compared to the venoms other movies which I had slowly been going through for the first time.

I do agree its slower then usual, but there are some cool moments.

And Lo Meng was very brave for constantly going bare armed against those blades!

TibetanWhiteCrane

The action is a bit slow, but Kwok Choi still brings it in the final fight. I also like it for it's stagey, cartoony campiness, but it doesn't rank that high in my ven-o-meter...

My opinion has changed over the years but I would say that my consistent favorite has to be 5 Deadly Venoms. Not because that is the one that I am supposed to like because everyone says it is the best. I like the story, characters, cinematography and fighting. My least favorite so far is House of Traps. The plot is ok but felt that the traps were really weak and a let-down. The Kid with the Golden Arm grows on me every time that I watch it. But, unlike a lot of people, I love Ten Tigers of Kwangtung. The rest of the movies fit in the middle somewhere. And, oddly enough, as far as Chang Cheh films go, was never that much of a fan of the Ti Lung and David Chiang era. Though, I am a fan of Ti Lung. Recently, I have begun to appreciate the Fu Sheng era of Chang Cheh`s film making.

What I find interesting after reading through this thread(again, years later) is how drastically different everyone's favorite Venom films are(if you like them at all).

My least favorite so far is House of Traps.
I definitely agree to that. While fights are good, there is not enough of them and plot is uninteresting. I have seen it just once years ago so I might give it 2nd go one day....Traps in "masked avengers" much cooler and fights+storyline too:bigsmile:

Archived