Kid with the golden arm... A big let down

Guest The Amazing Psychoper

I must say first I'm a venoms fan but this one was a deception... It's so highly regarded! I just can't see why...

The story? There is virtually none.

The fights? The weakest fight choreography I've seen in a venoms movie. It's so inconsistent and slow!

I watched Masked Avengers and Magnificient Ruffians just before this one, and although none of them was there best, they were far more superior then Kid with the golden arm.

The only venoms movie that bored me that much was Ten tigers from Kwantung...

There are movies like this that I just can't figure out why thy are so highly regarded.

The Amazing Psycho Per :evil

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

That's an Amazingly Psychopic lack of appreciation for the venom's in general. Masked Avengers and more especially Magnificent Ruffian's are great venom's flicks. Oh well, maybe as time passes and passes you'll find more of a fondness for these films or even appreciate KWTGA someplace in your heart. ;)

I do appreciate the venoms, I just said Masked Avengers and Magnificient were not theyre best...

Eh......Kid With The Golden Arms has a story and eh..............the fights are not weak.

Eh....My point was that the thin story alone couldn't possibly be the reason fo it's cult status and eh...... compared to other venoms flicks the fights ARE weak and cannot possibly the reason for it's cult status...

What teako170 and Wei Pai said...:-)

The Golden Arm Kid is not my venom favorite, but almost... I mean - it's got Wang Lung Wei in black (with a fan!) and Wei Pai in white (with a sword!) - girl's motives for watching kung-fu flicks can be so awfully simple sometimes - it's got some silly but becoming costumes, some silly nicknames, a very badass Lo Meng and Kuo Chui in one of his best roles...

And the whole thing is quite delightfully insane. (Though I'd love to see the original mandarin version - as I suspect that the english dub adds to that insanity a lot...;-))

BTW - Wang Lung Wei and Wei Pai were really underused, if you ask me. I'd add a few more "nonsenses", an extra little swordfight and I would love to see a lot more of that steel fan at work...;-)

Guest Chinatown Kid

I disagree about the fights being weak, I thought they were fantastic and KWTGA is one of my favorite Venom films. Great comic book style characters brought to life in that "magical" Shaw world.

Golden Arm isn't bad. Personally, I loved Crippled Avengers, Masked Avengers, 5 Venoms & liked Invincible Shaolin. Ten Tigers bored me to tears, as did SSWRB. I think the subs for SSRWB were at fault though. House of traps was doo doo. I'm scared to watch Life Gambit because life is too short & Magnificent Ruffians sounds okay, but might be awful.

Guest teako170
I'm scared to watch Life Gambit because life is too short & Magnificent Ruffians sounds okay, but might be awful
Life Gamble was quite appealling, so give it a shot.

Mag Ruff is a definite must-watch V-flick.

Guest avenging eagle

I can't wait for Life Gamble...it might be that movie I can't remember but is searching for. Kid with the golden arm is a classic whether it's a venom flick or not. It's straight entertaining. Unlike Ten Tigers which was just crap...I used that dvd for target practice.

Guest Ching li

Kid with the golden arm was enjoyable to me, because it was the last venoms film that feature wei pai and it seemed be a movie that was made during the five deadly venoms, invincible shaolin, etc time when it was all of the original venoms minus the newbies: wang li, chin siu ho, etc. so that's why i really enjoyed it.

Now i personally thought life gamble was ok, it was a bit boring to me. I really like House of Traps now that movie was very appealing and i just loved magnificent ruffians.

Guest VonHumboldtFleischer

I think KWTGA is a terrifically entertaining film. Its real weakness is the lack of characterisation - there are a lot of characters, and none of them have any real depth. However, it's pacey, eventful, and full of excellent action which doesn't resort to the kind of Robert Tai-ish gimmickry of CHINESE SUPER NINJAS.

Guest ironfistedmonk2003

I'm with Vonhumbold, the characters are not fleshed out in any way and the storyline is quite simplistic which may be why some have found this one poor but it was the first Venoms film I ever saw back in my early collecting days and I was blown away. I like all the Venoms films even tho hand on heart most of them are poor movies technically, you gotta love the chemistry between the guys and their athletic abilities.

Character development is a funny thing. So many people bring it up but so many don't understand it as a tool or a hinderance.

This movie is not aboot character development. If it was, it would have been 2 1/2 hours long. Who do you focus on? What was his/her background? Why does he use a fan? It's not aboot that.

What Chang Cheh did great and I mean great, with the Venoms was the use of characters. He made each of them one, with a singular dimension to them. Maybe one or 2 would be 2 dimensional. Look at 5V. Really only Wei Pai's Snake had more to him. The other's were there to behave in specific manners only. Invincible Shaolin is the best example. 6 characters with specific personality traits. Rather than make 1 person develop over the course of the movie w/multi dimensions, CC gave each man one specific personality, therefore fully developing the theme and idea of the movie as a whole rather than be aboot Wei Pai's character getting revenge for a fallen blood brother, at the hands of northern shaolin but actually being tricked. Get it? Same w/KwtGA. It's not aboot the adventures of Long Axe and Short Axe. It's not the ribaled tales of Hai Tao.

CC was aboot themes. KwtGA is fronted with a story aboot getting gold to famine victims. That premise is what the real of the story is. It is a story aboot reputations. That is the theme. Silverspear goes after a poisoned Swordsman Li to kill him for his rep. Everyone wants to fight and kill the other to build up their rep. As a group but most importantly as an individual. Look at the depths that Iron Feet goes to to do in Golden Arm and his group in order to get his own rep back and stronger than anyone else's.

To the average viewer I can see how one might see thinness. After watching this stuff for years and understanding how many work/what drove them, things are clearer to me.

Guest iron flag

KwtGA is a top Venom movie. If you dont like that one the Venoms probably arent your cup of tea. Haven't we had this debate on EVERY Venoms movie?! :\

I still stand by the fact that KWTGA is overrated. Everyone is underused, the plot and character developpement is extremely thin, but I could have lived with that. Once again I love the Venoms (except Wei Pai who obviously can't fight).

I just think the fight choreography is not on par with their best features, wich are (in no particular order):

Rebel Intruders

Cripled Avengers

Two champion of shaolin

Shaolin Daredevils

Invincible shaolin

and I did enjoy

Masked Avengers

Magnificient Ruffians

Five Venoms

Sword Stained with royal blood

I'm sorry but I went into this movie thinking it would be the ultimate venoms movie, and it is not, in any category. Many venoms have better stories or better fight choreography. Even Flag of Iron, Sword stained with royal blood, Masked Avengers at least had fights light years ahead of KWTGA. I can go on and on with comparaisons, but there were no standout fights, nothing to raise it above the rest.

It was by no means extremely bad, just a average effort and very disaponting considering the amount of praise it receives.

Anyway, I'll eventually try a second viewing. Maybe with expectations set lower, this movie will prove to pe more rewarding for me and climb up in my top Venoms movie list, who knows?

Guest teako170
Anyway, I'll eventually try a second viewing. Maybe with expectations set lower, this movie will prove to pe more rewarding for me and climb up in my top Venoms movie list, who knows?
Yeah, I agree here. Expectations can make or break one's opinion of a film.

I went into "The Avenging Eagle" with super high expectations and felt it was average at best. On the flip side, I went into "Boxer from Shantung" with zero expectations and I was blown away.

Guest Mr Dragula

I guess i'm among the minority, as overall I actually enjoyed Ten Ten Tigers from Kwantung. Admittedly it's somewhat jumbled and thrown together, but for me still enjoyable. It's definitely lower tear Venom though.

Actually i've always been a bit let down by Five Deadly Venoms, as despite the engaging plot, have always felt it moves rather sluggishly.

Reading these comments, I'm trying to figure this out.

Even allowing for differences in taste, I wonder how much of the negative comments about the Venom films is coming from folks seeing them for the 1st time. It looks like that may be true in some instances.

As opposed to the folks who were drawn in by them in theaters and on TV in the 70's and 80's. The nostalgia factor.

Anyone care to comment?

Guest thejadefacedassassin

I am glad I have not picked this one up yet due to the mixed reviews.

Between House Of Traps & Kid With The Golden Arm, I will pick one.......which one is recommended? By the way, I have bought Masked Avengers and like it. But Life Gamble was not so good. Overrated.

Guest oldeschool17

hmm, i dunno thats a tough call cause both are very different in theme, characters, plot, and even costumes. This may be blasphemy but I liked House of Traps more than Kid with the Golden Arms on an overall scale, but both movies have their highpoints.

tough call indeed. i enjoyed HOT (watched for the 1st time ever) more on the level of story, pace, overall content; but it doesnt hold a candle to the action in KWTGA (which ive watched numerous times throughout the years already).

u say u liked MA; imo its the best among the 3 of them.

from its vibe/feeling/concept, i`d say its somewhere in between "the kid" and "house".

ive also been mildly bored with the KWTGA plot; i really do love the action sequences tho.

if i had to pick one, it would still be the kid regardless i guess.

Archived