Question about IFD Films & Arts and Filmark International

DrNgor

Question

Okay, my question is two-pronged:

Can anyone tell me what was:

1) the first kung fu movie that each studio released, or in other words, the first kung fu movie to hit theaters (or video stores) bearing their insignia?

2) the first cut n' splice ninja movie that each studio released (same criteria as above)?

@ThunderScore - I'm looking in your direction.

Edited by DrNgor

5 answers to this question

BornToDefense

Don't know if it helps, but this essay is the most informative thing I've seen on Asso Asia, IFD and Filmark's historical background outside of interviews with people involved.

Well, I went to the IFD Film Arts and Services website and I'm surprised they still exist, especially considering how their movies are always showing up in 50-movie packs and stuff. In any case, if one were to judge from both the company's founding date (1973) and the HKMDB entry on them, I'm led to believe that their first production was the South Korean chopsockey film Tornado of Kuang Chou (1973), aka The Devil's Assignment.

As far as their Cut n' Splice movies go, the earliest ones were Mission Thunderbolt and Inferno Thunderbolt, both of which were copyrighted in 1983.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BornToDefense said:

Don't know if it helps, but this essay is the most informative thing I've seen on Asso Asia, IFD and Filmark's historical background outside of interviews with people involved.

Thanks for sharing. It certainly clarifies a lot about Asso-Asia's and IFD's histories. Filmark is sorta treated with the "Yeah, they did the same thing" attitude. 

• Like 1