Decision to Leave (2022) Park Chan-wook

Yihetuan

I enjoyed this latest neo-noir romantic drama & it gave me many vibes from another neo-noir thriller, Diao Yi'nan's Black Coal, Thin Ice which is definite plus considering I felt that film was one of the best of the year. The success of Decision to Leave really hinges on beguiling performance by Tang Wei as the mysterious femme fatale  & possible black widow, she dominated the screen & the plot kept you guessing until the end. Speaking of which, the finale does tie up loose ends but it still is quite haunting for its implications.

• Like 2

One Armed Boxer

Probably my favorite movie of 2022, just managed to squeeze it in on the big screen at the end of December having just gotten back from living in Korea for 4 months, where I resisted checking it out due to a lack of English subtitles (my Korean isn't bad, but definitely not up to the level of watching a Park Chan-wook movie unaided!). I gave it the full review treatment over at COF - 

https://cityonfire.com/decision-to-leave-2022-review-park-chan-wook/

@laagi what's happening, haven't you checked this one out yet!?

• Like 1

@One Armed Boxer I honestly had this sitting at home for over a month now. But with all the mixed reviews I was really hesitant to check it out. Also I've been very busy at work unfortunately, allowing myself little to no time to enjoy a movie. I'll sit down for it eventually. 

• Like 2

I guess better late then never. I sat down this afternoon and watched this at home. Honestly I didn't really know what to expect. Aside from the mostly rave reviews I barely had any interest in this.

I'm still not quite sure what to think or for that matter make of it. It certainly is one of the more mesmerizing pieces of korean cinema in recent years.

A unique blend of genre, plot and character. Also the change of gear as well as tone ever so often is confusing but also engaging.

It's as if 'Decision to Leave' tries everything to avoid any kind of label while still delivering a somewhat coherent plot to follow for the average viewer.

Mystery, romance, thriller, drama, heck I'd even throw in satire for good measure. You won't be able to tell, at least I couldn't.

Also I'm pretty sure the ending will leave a lot of room for debate just as well as subtle nuances spread throughout it's whooping 140 minutes runtime. Which thankfully you never feel!

Overall I've actually enjoyed it quite a bit. I'd go as far as saying that after my initial viewing I might even get a greater appreciation for it as time passes.

If you're looking for an intriguing piece of K-cinema probably one reminiscent of what made you fall in love with it in the first place, be sure to check this out!

• Like 3