Would you guys go to the movies and see old Shaw Kung Fu mov

Guest QUANMAY34

Guest QUANMAY34

I was thinking of asking one of the manager at a dollar movie theater to somehow market 1-2 Saturday per month to show

old Kung fu flicks like the double-features back in the day.

what you think?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I would. I used to when Boston had the nifty Bombay cinema that also showed Kung fu movies.

What about a midnight show? It'll be "hip". Resist the urge to cater to the irony lovers by showing cheesy bad movies, though.

Guest avenging eagle

Aah hell yeah...that would brings back memories of going to those old as heck movie theaters in chinatown...oh yeah...i'll do that for a dollar!!

Guest teako170
what you think?
I think anyone on this forum would be up for it. Unfortunately, the members of our unique little group are scattered to the four corners of the globe.

In order for this to be a feasible venture for the theater owner, you might want to localize your inquiry and see what response you get.

Guest Jesse Smooth

I would definitely since I was 'deprived' from the experience due to my age. But who has the actual film prints? Would they budge? What conditions? Dubbed or subbed? If I had the cash and the materials, I'd try to do it in my area. There's a perfect theater for it.

But I'm only dreaming.|I

Guest JustAFan
I would definitely since I was 'deprived' from the experience due to my age

Same here, and I would love to see an old school kung fu flick on the big screen.

Guest PaulyOne

I was going to when I visited London, as the BFI was supposed to be having a martial arts film festival. They were featuring quite a few shaw brothers flicks, but it must have fizzled out or was canceled, because the schedule completely changed. The only martial arts film they played during my visit was Enter the Dragon, which is ok, but I would have rather seen My Young Auntie or King Boxer...

Guest hanzorazor

A couple of months ago there were screenings of several Shaw Bros titles at a state-sponsored cinema in Copenhagen. I couldn't make it to all of the movies as I used to work several nights a week, luckily I did manage to see KING BOXER, BOXER FROM SHANTUNG, THE NEW ONE-ARMED SWORDSMAN, LEGENDARY WEAPONS OF CHINA, MY YOUNG AUNTIE and DIRTY HO. It was an amazing experience seeing such classics on the big screen, they were all 35mm prints, some were re-mastered (but luckily no audio 'enhancements'), others weren't. There were only like 5-10 persons at each of the screenings I attended, and I don't think many of them were fans of the films.

I'm going to see Super Inframan tonight and talk to some people about trying to get a KF night going once a month, the Plaza theater has been around Atlanta since the 30's and always play movies that aren't necessarily mainstream, all I have to say is if you live in a city that's lucky enough to have a cool theater around support them, to many people don't.

Guest Jesse Smooth
But only on 35MM prints. No projector/DVD/Digital Cinema Experience nonsense.

I hear ya, but again, who in the US will have these films on 35MM unless they're locked somewhere in an abandoned Chinese movie theater. Maybe locked up in the basement of the old Great Star in SF???

I hear ya, but again, who in the US will have these films on 35MM unless they're locked somewhere in an abandoned Chinese movie theater. Maybe locked up in the basement of the old Great Star in SF???

Well, like I've been saying, there was news of Mr. Tarantino buying the lease for L.A. Chinatown's former Sing Lee Theatre. The report also said that when Mr. Tarantino and his assistants bought the lease, The SLT had a film can collection of lots of old HK movies. It included some rare HK movies. The report also said that all or most of these film prints will be restored by Quentin and the assistants.

The SL closed in the mid '90's, but I think "Naked Killer" was one of the HK movies shown before it closed down. I'm not sure if San Francisco's 4 Star is still showing Shaws, but that SF theatre is still in business. I think that there has been a recent HK Movie Madness Series at the 4 Star that is still going on, if you're interested.

Guest justkungfuman

Even Though I already have most of there movies on Video or Dvd, I would go watch these movies again at the theater to see the ones I never got to see on the Big Screen. It's just a different experience when watched on the Big Screen compaired to watching at home... The excitement is different because of the Energy of the crowd viewing these movies along side of you...House of Traps got a lot of ooh's and ahh's....

Guest W Hong
justkungfuman

Even Though I already have most of there movies on Video or Dvd, I would go watch these movies again at the theater to see the ones I never got to see on the Big Screen. It's just a different experience when watched on the Big Screen compaired to watching at home... The excitement is different because of the Energy of the crowd viewing these movies along side of you...House of Traps got a lot of ooh's and ahh's....

POSSIBLE SPOILERS BELOW

that's exactly how I feel, but are you saying that there's more excitement, or the same when Shaws are on the big screen, compared to at home?

I still kind of remember the opening night of Heroic Grace Series 1 in the Beverly Hills area. They were showing "Executioners From Shaolin". the audience included, I think, John Woo and the Celestial Pictures CEO. I really liked the funny scenes in "EFS", and the audience sure seemed to also like those scenes. I still remember the "chopstick fight"(!) between Chen Kwan Tai and his character's son. I would definitely want to see old Shaw movies, "Fist of Legend", classic Jackie/Biao, etc. in a theatre. Maybe we should tell Dragon Dynasty about that.

this is slightly off-topic, but "The Postmodern Life of My Aunt" will be showing in late October near UCLA. "TPLoMA" is Chow Yun Fat's return to the HK movies.

Guest justkungfuman

W Hong

POSSIBLE SPOILERS BELOW

that's exactly how I feel, but are you saying that there's more excitement, or the same when Shaws are on the big screen, compared to at home?

A lot more exciting on the Big Screen because of the ooh's and ahh's from the crowd. You get more of the effect because of the crowds your watching it with...Makes it more exciting because of everybody else's emotions get feed into the moment.

Guest Knockabout
A couple of months ago there were screenings of several Shaw Bros titles at a state-sponsored cinema in Copenhagen. I couldn't make it to all of the movies as I used to work several nights a week, luckily I did manage to see KING BOXER, BOXER FROM SHANTUNG, THE NEW ONE-ARMED SWORDSMAN, LEGENDARY WEAPONS OF CHINA, MY YOUNG AUNTIE and DIRTY HO. It was an amazing experience seeing such classics on the big screen, they were all 35mm prints, some were re-mastered (but luckily no audio 'enhancements'), others weren't. There were only like 5-10 persons at each of the screenings I attended, and I don't think many of them were fans of the films.

Yeah, it was so cool.. I attended 9 out of the 10 shaws they showed. Super cool to finally see real old school kung fu movies in the cinema for the first time.. I can only recommend people, to go to such events :D

Guest hanzorazor

Greetz Knockabout! Fingers crossed there will be more screenings of kung fu classics in Copenhagen some day. Tho I'm guessing we'll have to wait quite a while for that..

Guest avenging eagle

I remember the old SL...brings back memories. I hope that does happen and he opens it up with some old school flicks.

Archived